Do you ever reminisce about the old days?

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,505
Well do you?

Lately I've been thinking about buying a pair of LSi9... in ebony. Just like my favorite pair of bookshelves back in the day... the first set that got me into this mess, back when I was in college.

You?
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    I definitely do - that's how I end up with "rescue" DIY speakers and such, to this day some of the old stuff still sounds great to me!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    No, I can't go back!
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I would have loved to hear the AR9Lsi's and my Infinity RS3B's I owned back in the 80's on the equipment I have now.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Reminisce about the old days of listening to mediocre 80's thrash metal on an 80-watt Yamaha integrated with cheap Realistic (Read: Radio Shack) headphones with the volume knob turned up to the 3 o'clock position? Not very often. :|
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I remember my Large Advent's driven by a Dynaco ST70 with an Advent 300 receiver as a pre. I had an SME3012 arm with V15III combo on a homemade plinth with a Connoisseur turntable. It sounded great in a small room. Nice looking at the tubes too. B)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    DSkip wrote: »
    I reminisce about the days when I had a single setup and a smaller room. There is an intimacy in a small listening room that is hard to get in a larger space.

Except in my space lol.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • I never reminisce about the old days. Man, those were some good times though...
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Sure do.

Brother in-law be here in a few weeks, bringing some goodies he found down south for me.

Wives are going to visit their sister OVERNIGHT.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Haha, that gave me a real chuckle.
    I never reminisce about the old days. Man, those were some good times though...

My early audio reminiscing is rare, usually brought on in seeing some of the old gear I still have. It's cheap stuff, really basic. Brings me back to vivid, albeit fleeting, recollection of those times in my life, mostly throughout the 90s, and more for the experiences, both social and solitary, and for the music itself, not the audio or gear quality, per se. Music has always been a part of life for me. It was the soundtrack to life in those days especially.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I wish I knew the make/model of the few pairs of old bookshelf speakers my dad gave me when I was a kid as my "first system". I would try to replicate that system today to see if it still sounds good.

I do remember that he gave me these as my first "integrateds":

First one, Realistic SA-10:

6baa12f740c67f3c8de5f1ffb54b5b55.jpg

And then, Realistic SA-150:

788065-realistic-sa150-integrated-amplifier-with-mahogany-wood-veneer.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2018
    There was an SA-10 around here for a while. I actually bought it, at an antique radio fleamarket for $2, to use as a bench amp. I finally decided to sell it (does that sound like me?) -- I think I got $5 for it.

Hmm, maybe I should become a flipper...?

The little SA-150 is kind of cool -- wouldn't mind at least playing with one of those some time with some high-sensitivity loudspeakers (no dearth of those around here).

11384894815_286366313c_z.jpgP2170005 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Audio components at my house are always subject to a CAT scan.
    11385036933_0cb271dca7_z.jpgP2170002 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    You sold a piece of gear?!?
    I'm not buying it.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Every so once in a while. Every so once in a while.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
  • mhardy6647
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Nice tabby.

That is the flank of Harpo the Kitteh.
    Harpo was -- a piece of work.

11947100234_f00baedf99_b.jpgDSCN6268 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    ....of the forum? Yes.

Too many things too list that were better back then. Not having Vanilla/censure tops the list.

Systems? No, not really....but I wouldn't mind hearing the RT-800's I started my Polk journey with many moons ago.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Turtles in Time!!!!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Had a pair of these in college with a Kenwood AVR. I bought them for $40 when Highlands went out of business in Dallas. My wife (girlfriend at the time) bought a Technics rack system for $300 that we still have today. We loaded up that day, but those are the only two things I can remember. If I hadn't been a poor college student I would have really made out like a bandit.

Tempted to buy these to see how they sound now...considering I still have the Kenwood I powered them with in college.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Design-Acoustics-PS-6a-Speakers-PAIR-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-RARE-VINTAGE/172911853326?epid=730210153&hash=item2842597f0e:g:jB8AAOSwJ7RYSw32:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!76087!US!-1
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    Had a pair of these in college with a Kenwood AVR. I bought them for $40 when Highlands went out of business in Dallas. My wife (girlfriend at the time) bought a Technics rack system for $300 that we still have today. We loaded up that day, but those are the only two things I can remember. If I hadn't been a poor college student I would have really made out like a bandit.

Tempted to buy these to see how they sound now...considering I still have the Kenwood I powered them with in college.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Design-Acoustics-PS-6a-Speakers-PAIR-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-RARE-VINTAGE/172911853326?epid=730210153&hash=item2842597f0e:g:jB8AAOSwJ7RYSw32:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!76087!US!-1

You'll have to re-foam them for sure. i heard the PS-8's and the PS-10's were the ones to get.

I passed up a few PS-8's and 10's over the years because I didn't know how to re-foam woofers. I also didn't have or want to spend 25 or 35 bucks to experiment re-foaming them.

Now I would buy a set of the 8's and 10's and re-foam them but not the 6's. Do the PS-6"s have a woofer elsewhere on the back?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Nope, what I have now is 100 times better than what I had when I started in 1981or 82. All I remember is that I got a Sony system that came with a receiver, speakers, TT and rack, and that the receiver and TT were silver. A little later, I added a silver Radio Shack Realistic tape deck that could play both sides of the cassette w/o removing the cassette. It could also rewind and replay a song.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Bose 301s with Technics 45 wpc reciever. I think back about how much I enjoyed the sound. Its was a solid system with separate taoe deck and DD table.
  • mhardy6647
    Nothin' wrong with Bose 301s -- best loudspeaker they ever made for domestic use, as far as I am concerned.

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    I miss the dark hair and flat belly more than the equipment, but it did sound pretty good back then.
  • deronb1
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    I miss the dark hair and flat belly more than the equipment, but it did sound pretty good back then.

What speakers did you have running then?
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Jimbo18 wrote: »

What speakers did you have running then?

Either AR 2ax or KLH 5's. I think it was still the 5's, I sold them and got the AR's.
  • deronb1
    Had a pair of AR towers myself a few years later. Cant remember model tho.