Small Desktop or Mini Computer

My current desktop computer has some fan noise that is annoying when listening to music at low volumes in my small office.

I need a very simple puter for searching the internets and listening to music.

Any good suggestions? Would like to keep it under $300 and I don't do gaming or movies on this one. Only need 1 HDMI out, and I already have a 32" monitor.

Thanks folks,
Eric

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    A new $10 fan?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    But a Noctua fan of what whateber size you need.

I’ve used Silverstone, Antec, SilenX and all sucked compared to the quiet I get from Noctua fans. I’ve been running some of them 24/7 for the last 10 years and never had a problem w em.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Interesting...a new fan. Will investigate.
  • EndersShadow
    If you do decide to go w a new PC, and don’t need a ton of storage or gaming as a requirement lolk at Intel NUC. Silent and small and should work great as a secondary music source.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Conradicles
    If you do decide to go w a new PC, and don’t need a ton of storage or gaming as a requirement lolk at Intel NUC. Silent and small and should work great as a secondary music source.

3 year warranty too. Impressive.
  • Clipdat
    Yep, this. Noctua > everything else

I’ve used Silverstone, Antec, SilenX and all sucked compared to the quiet I get from Noctua fans. I’ve been running some of them 24/7 for the last 10 years and never had a problem w em.

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited January 2018
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Quantum Byte with wireless keyboard/mouse and Windows 10 for $200.
    You can pick one up from Amazon.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • dragon1952
    The Asus EEEBox has a couple USB 3.0 ports also if that's important.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Conradicles
    Clipdat wrote: »

@Clipdat @EndersShadow Is the Noctua easy to install? Also, how do I know which size to get?
  • Clipdat
    Let me know the model of computer you currently have, and what fan it is that's making the noise, and I'll tell you what size you would need and how easy it would be to replace it.
    @Clipdat @EndersShadow Is the Noctua easy to install? Also, how do I know which size to get?

• EndersShadow
    edited January 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »

Easier than the sub you built by 2000x.

4 screws and a connection to the motherboard that’s a molex type connector. Beyond easy!
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    It's next to impossible to hear my music when I turn on the mini computer in my basement office.
    qb1uqzfaju3c.jpg

Oh, you meant mini as in small, I get now. :)
  • Conradicles
    Thanks for the recommendation of the fan. I just purchased the Noctua and shall see if that helps.
  • EndersShadow
    Thanks for the recommendation of the fan. I just purchased the Noctua and shall see if that helps.

I know it will! Good call!
  • Clipdat
    "Noiseblocker" fans are also great.
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Noctua fans are awesome for being quiet...also fans from the company BeQuiet especially the Silent Wings series...also deadly quiet for how much air they can push.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I have an HP Slice... These are the ASUS comparables.

https://www.asus.com/us/Mini-PCs/VivoMini-Products/

I got mine with a SSHD which makes it totally quiet. The only time I hear it is when the DVD opens and spins up.

I run my ROON core on it and have it hooked to my HT and my 2 channel DAC...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Did you get the fan installed @Conradicles?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Conradicles
    No I just ordered it today. Will report back...
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited March 2018
    Well,if it doesn’t work I will also way that I got an intel NUC i3 off eBay with 8 gb of ram and a 120 gb SSD off eBay for about $250 several years ago and it serves as my music server and family computer and it works great. Doesn’t get a whole lot of use as a computer but it’s on 24/7 as a server and no problems...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Conradicles
    Ended up with an Asus Chromebox. Extremely happy with this inexpensive solution so far...

The new Noctua fan worked OK, but that old computer is just too loud.
  • EndersShadow
    Let me know how that Chromebox works out.... I've been debating one for a portable streaming device paired with a lil headphone amp...
  • dragon1952
    I've really been eyeing those i-3 NUC's. Not sure there's much advantage over my EEEBox though, except for a faster CPU which I probably don't, but I like the somewhat smaller footprint and I could get a burgundy lid to match my acoustic paneling :^ )
  • Conradicles
    I almost pulled the trigger on the NUC, but thought I would try this 1st.

@EndersShadow will give some feedback soon. Next step is try to figure out the best app to play flac files from an external hard drive. I am so computer audio illiterate LOL.
  • EndersShadow
    I almost pulled the trigger on the NUC, but thought I would try this 1st.

@EndersShadow will give some feedback soon. Next step is try to figure out the best app to play flac files from an external hard drive. I am so computer audio illiterate LOL.

MediaMonkey (the free version) is a quality product.... and its free....
  • Conradicles
    Totally impressed with this little booger hiding on the right side of the picture under the Music Hall.

Note the CPU monitor is a 32" Dell (looks like a 15" in the picture LOL).

Those Yamaha monitors are huge. I have all new caps and resistors for them to be installed in the near future. This was a spare room in the basement that gets good use now.

g8zxzmwvsbn0.jpg