MIT Shotgun cables!!!

Comments

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited September 2010
    $2700 for the whole lot. I'm using two sets of XLR's.

So be prepared to spend a lot of money is what you're saying.;)

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • headrott
    edited September 2010
    :eek::eek::eek::eek: Let's see, 350 lb lead shot filled rack, 55 years old with an 80 year old body, um, come on over and if you can move that rack (mind you it is spiked through the carpet to the concrete floor) you can borrow them!:D And no you can't break it down tier by tier!:p

Come on Joe get your Hulk green color/muscles on and move that thing!:p:D

Seriously though, I would but then I would have to put back inferior cabling and that will drive me nuts because I wouldn't be able to listen to the rig!:eek:

I was not really serious about you sending me the cables Joe, I wouldn't want you to have a downgraded system. I don't remember, does MIT have a 30 day trial period on their cables? Maybe I can give them a try that way.

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited September 2010
    headrott wrote: »
    Come on Joe get your Hulk green color/muscles on and move that thing!:p:D

Hahaha, maybe I would have given it a shot ten years ago but now the old bones creak getting out of a chair, hell they creak when I ****!
    I was not really serious about you sending me the cables Joe, I wouldn't want you to have a downgraded system. I don't remember, does MIT have a 30 day trial period on their cables? Maybe I can give them a try that way.

Greg

Absolutely, well in my experience at least with new cables from Joe Abrams. Besides . . . lifetime warranty, ya can't beat that Bro.

Hey Greg, if you would have asked me a few months or more ago, I seriously would have let you borrow them as my rig was down for quite a while but I'm back in the saddle (or rather sweet spot) again.

One caveat though, I would need a lock of your first born male's hair as collateral!:D
  • headrott
    edited September 2010
    Hahaha, maybe I would have given it a shot ten years ago but now the old bones creak getting out of a chair, hell they creak when I ****!

Just blame both of them on the chair.:D

Absolutely, well in my experience at least with new cables from Joe Abrams. Besides . . . lifetime warranty, ya can't beat that Bro.

Is the warrenty transferrable if I get some used?
    Hey Greg, if you would have asked me a few months or more ago, I seriously would have let you borrow them as my rig was down for quite a while but I'm back in the saddle (or rather sweet spot) again.

Really, no sweat Joe. I'll just have to go broke to find out if they work well in my rig, that's all.:D;);):eek:
    One caveat though, I would need a lock of your first born male's hair as collateral!:D

Hell, if you let me try them I would shave his head and send it all to you!:D:D:p:p

Greg
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• hearingimpared
    edited September 2010
    Just blame both of them on the chair.:D

LOL! I already have that covered but my wife never falls for the **** part!

Is the warrenty transferrable if I get some used?
    I believe it is but Jesse can answer that one better than me.

Really, no sweat Joe. I'll just have to go broke to find out if they work well in my rig, that's all.:D;);):eek:

Nah you won't go broke Bro. Joe Abrams took good care of me and others here with some hefty discounts especially when you purchase more than one set.
    Hell, if you let me try them I would shave his head and send it all to you!:D:D:p:p

Greg

ROTFLMAO!!!:)
  • toucanet
    toucanet Posts: 580
    edited September 2010
    Any updates?

What impedance setting did you select on the RCA S3's (Low/Mid/High)?
  • hearingimpared
    edited September 2010
    toucanet wrote: »
    Any updates?

What impedance setting did you select on the RCA S3's (Low/Mid/High)?

Check your manual for the target piece of gear for the input impedance and select the low, medium or high selection that closely matches it. Sometime you will find that the input impedance of you gear fits into an overlap in two of the switch settings. Try both. I've found the higher setting sounds best.

Target = the piece of gear that the signal flows to for example, connecting a CDP to a preamp. The preamp is the target piece of gear and the arrow on the cable should point in that direction. So you would check the input impedance of the preamp to determine which switch setting is closest.
  • inspiredsports
    inspiredsports Posts: 5,501
    edited September 2010
    I will go on record and say these cables are one of if not the best investment I have put in my system. They are pure magic!!!

Everytime I sit in front of my rig I'm just in awe..

I really want to go with a full BAT rig but I really want the new Camaro, so I will have to wait a few to go that route...;)

Next bonus???

Oh yeah SDA's Rule!!!:)

Welcome aboard! :)
    VTL ST50 w/mods / RCA6L6GC / TlfnknECC801S
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 w/mods
    TT Conrad Johnson Sonographe SG3 Oak / Sumiko LMT / Grado Woodbody Platinum / Sumiko PIB2 / The Clamp
    Musical Fidelity A1 CDPro/ Bada DD-22 Tube CDP / Conrad Johnson SD-22 CDP
    Tuners w/mods Kenwood KT5020 / Fisher KM60
    MF x-DAC V8, HAInfo NG27
    Herbies Ti-9 / Vibrapods / MIT Shotgun AC1 IEC's / MIT Shotgun 2 IC's / MIT Shotgun 2 Speaker Cables
    PS Audio Cryo / PowerPort Premium Outlets / Exact Power EP15A Conditioner
    Walnut SDA 2B TL /Oak SDA SRS II TL (Sonicaps/Mills/Cardas/Custom SDA ICs / Dynamat Extreme / Larry's Rings/ FSB-2 Spikes
    NAD SS rigs w/mods
    GIK panels
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    edited January 2018
    Where does the time go???

Yes I am still running these cables!!! and I still have my Camaro!! LOL!!!
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    You're right where does the time go??? Since then I've ended up with hearingimpaired (Joe's) 1.2tl's, a couple pair of his MIT cables and he's also been banned. My final pair of MIT shotguns are due to arrive here tomorrow (after being delayed by Brody) and now I'll have my entire rig outfitted with shotguns. Hell back in 2010 I thought cables all sounded the same; woo hoo was I ever mistaken.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    You're right where does the time go??? Since then I've ended up with hearingimpaired (Joe's) 1.2tl's, a couple pair of his MIT cables and he's also been banned. My final pair of MIT shotguns are due to arrive here tomorrow (after being delayed by Brody) and now I'll have my entire rig outfitted with shotguns. Hell back in 2010 I thought cables all sounded the same; woo hoo was I ever mistaken.

Unfortunately Joe is not only banned but he passed away. RIP...
  • Toolfan66
    edited January 2018

When did this happen?? :'(

I'm trying to find his FaceBook page with no luck, I was just on it not that long ago..

Edit: I found his Facebook page but no news posted about him..

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    November I believe. @Marfly ?
  • Toolfan66
    November I believe. @Marfly ?

This is sad news, if he was Marfly, I wish he had reached out to me, I was trying to reach him via Facebook when I was making the Vinyl Death Grip aka: Joes Clamp..

Do you know what happened??

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I may be wrong but it seems to have been 1-1/2 to 2 yrs since his passing
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Toolfan66
    I think his last activity on Facebook was April 15th not that it means much as a lot of people don’t hang out on it all the time..
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    It was a few months ago, died in his recliner at home. I don't know the cause. I do know he was not Marfly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    edited January 2018
    I know now who Marfly is, still sad to hear of his passing..

I miss Mike being around like he used to be, he helped me a bunch when I first joined this forum..
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Oh my God no......I had no idea and I am so sad and sorry to hear this. Rip Joe and I'll keep your memory alive with your babies that will always be here with me. What a cool and knowledgeable man he was.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    F1nut wrote: »
    It was a few months ago, died in his recliner at home. I don't know the cause. I do know he was not Marfly.

November 2017 was when Mike let us know
  • headrott

DAMN! I had a very bad feeling that's the case. Sad for certain. I hope his wife is doing OK.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• headrott
    On a more cheerful note.

I have since obtained and used a set of MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker and IC's (XLR, 2 sets). I enjoyed them a lot.

I then upgraded to Shotgun S1 speaker and IC's (also XLR's). I also bought some bulk cable from Jesse (@F1Nut) to make some IC's for the 1kVa dreadnaught).

These are by far the best cables I have used. Especially after working with the bulk cable and seeing the design of the cables, I feel confident in saying that (as some claim) they are far more than the "black boxes" that the cabling is attached to. That is in no way diminishing the "black boxes".

If you have not tried some MIT cables, you should if there is another MIT cable demo going on.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Question: Is shortening these cables a simple matter of cutting and re-soldering, or do they need to be soldered by Tibetan monks in a cryogenic chamber? I see some used cables that are 6m in length, but I only need about 4m.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • F1nut
    There's no harm in leaving them at 20 feet, just snake the cables to shorten the length. That said, which model are you asking about?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    edited January 2018
    Was looking at S2, but upon further examination, they are bi-wired, which I don't need. I'm open to suggestion for single-ended. Connecting a McCormack DNA-125 to Infinity RSIIIa and/or Polk SDA-2B.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • F1nut
    edited January 2018
    You will not be able to shorten any of the Shotgun or higher series cables due to the CV coupler at the amp end, nor will you be able to shorten the cable at the network box.

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    Gotcha. How about the bi-wire situation? Can I just use the high-output, or would layering high and low together under one speaker binding post work?
  • F1nut
    You can connect both low and high to single posts. Do not use one or the other.

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    Thanks, Jesse. And finally, how do you think the Terminator series compare? They are more plentiful, and a better price.
  • F1nut
    The Shotgun series are a big step up.

President of Club Polk