Ripping & Streaming blu-ray and DVD's

13»

Comments

• D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    edited June 2014

Thats good to know, but for most it only makes sense if you do everything and I dont know of many thumb drivers capable of doing that. Plus the WD Live TV can be had for less than most blu-ray players (I paid 60 for my refurb off ebay), however I can see where it would be nice if you wanted both an actual player and the ability to stream your MKV's where that might be a useful solution, provided its cost effective.

I was thinking in terms of someone already having a blu-ray player and not having to buy a WD or other streaming device. If you already have a Blu-ray player look in your owners manual and it'll tell you if it supports .MKV files.

What did you mean by "thumb drivers capable of doing that."?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2014
    D'prived wrote: »
    I was thinking in terms of someone already having a blu-ray player and not having to buy a WD or other streaming device. If you already have a Blu-ray player look in your owners manual and it'll tell you if it supports .MKV files.

What did you mean by "thumb drivers capable of doing that."?

My blu-rays average 30 gigs per rip. If you wanted to have more than one movie on a thumb drive, I dont know many with that much of a capacity to hold that many movies.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    edited June 2014
    My blu-rays average 30 gigs per rip. If you wanted to have more than one movie on a thumb drive, I dont know many with that much of a capacity to hold that many movies.

Okay... I see what you're saying.

I've been ripping blu-rays for about 4 years now and I just assume that part of the process involves using Handbrake. If you compress them to 8 to 10 gig you can get two to three movies on a 32 gig thumb drive. Of course if your intent is to watch MKV's as your main source then using a thumb drive is not the way to go. A 1TB usb drive is more practical or just set up a media PC to store movies and stream via the network.
  • villian
    villian Posts: 412
    edited June 2014
    billbillw wrote: »
    If you have a reasonable fast computer, the handbrake conversion is not what I would call time consuming.

Yep, and you don't have to lose any quality. You can keep the video HD and the audio HD. A little compressing goes a long ways!
    What if the movie is already in MKV format w/ forced subtitles... can you still compress it?

MKV is just a "Container". The audio and video inside are always able to be altered.
    PrazVT wrote: »
    Man - not sure why that didn't occur to me ;) You're right - it'd be done over night. I don't typically leave the 'big rig' running 24/7 (it's a space heat running full tilt w/ the triple radiator blowing straight up lol).

You can actually rip all your movies first with Make MKV or another straight duplication program (DVD Fab), then simply create a que in Handbrake and it'll rip through all 100 or however many movies you have to do in one giant swipe.

;)
    Too many good quotes to list..waiting for some fresh ammo. :)
  • villian
    edited June 2014
    My Long term aspirations are to move to a NAS or HTPC/NAS combo as I don't know if I will ever want to stream movies to any room other than my HT room. It will be running XBMC as its OS and will allow me to connect up to 4-6 3TB internal hard drives...

Just so you know, you can easily run a single HTPC for the whole house with the same interface being ported through to an endless amount of tvs, projectors, cell phones or whatever else you want. So you don't have to limit yourself to just your HT room with a HTPC (Complete with cable tv and the likes!) :)

Check out Media Browser, and the Ceton Echo.
    http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/

Very cost efficient!
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2014
    villian wrote: »
    Just so you know, you can easily run a single HTPC for the whole house with the same interface being ported through to an endless amount of tvs, projectors, cell phones or whatever else you want. So you don't have to limit yourself to just your HT room with a HTPC (Complete with cable tv and the likes!) :)

Check out Media Browser, and the Ceton Echo.
    http://cetoncorp.com/products/echo/

Very cost efficient!

True, but my issue is this: I am all wireless. Thats why my current solution is 100% local w no real networking required. Its also the cheapest solution. I've looked into wiring my house for ethernet and given the equipment locations its a bit of a bear since I am running though all external walls from one side of the house to the other, from the top floor to the bottom. Plus I dont really watch movies in our bedroom so that isnt something I need/want, and my daughter is too young to have a TV in her room anytime soon.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • villian
    edited June 2014
    True, but my issue is this: I am all wireless. Thats why my current solution is 100% local w no real networking required. Its also the cheapest solution. I've looked into wiring my house for ethernet and given the equipment locations its a bit of a bear since I am running though all external walls from one side of the house to the other, from the top floor to the bottom. Plus I dont really watch movies in our bedroom so that isnt something I need/want, and my daughter is too young to have a TV in her room anytime soon.

Ah gotcha. I've traditionally run hardwired cat6 gigabit, but I just bought an AC router to give a try last week and I'm pretty impressed. My server will still run full speed duplex gigabit directly to the router, but I've gone wireless AC now on everything. Super low latency and enough bandwidth for everything to run smooth. I'm getting 867Mbps ("Rated") at my furthest point. Running the server hardwired with everything else wireless is working well so far. It's worth a look if you can't hardwire everything. Huge difference between wireless N and AC, and not just speed wise. Everything is much snappier. My network lag was cut to 2ms...from 50+ over N. My effective transfer rate has been well in excess of 20 MB/s so far on disk to disk (Server to _____) xfers thus far. Gigabit and I meter between 80-120 MB/s, wireless N 300 and I was only getting 2.5ish on a good day. The 20 MB/s (200+ Mbps) has been more than enough to stream full 1080p HD Audio BD files over the network. Range has been better than expected...and having the dual networks (5ghz AC 1200 and 2.4ghz N 300) via a single router has proven effective at keeping the bandwidth hogs (Phones, tablets, non-media pc's, etc) off my media network, helping to maintain high speeds.
  • EndersShadow
    edited June 2014
    Yup. My last apartment was totally hardwired when we moved in which was nice. When we moved into our house which is not, and to boot wired for Direct TV (the devil), I purchased a dual band wireless n card for my PC & a dual band wireless n hotspot/bridge. That hotspot/bridge is housed in my HT rack and connects to a gigabit switch which then provides signal to my Xbox 360, WD Live TV, Squeezebox, etc. I have not had lots of opportunities to play Xbox Live, but when using Netflix & Hulu we dont have too much lag/buffering. My squeezebox however which is accessing my computer that is also wireless, has drop-outs fairly constantly so I am sure if I was streaming HD video it would be MUCH worse.

So I am wireless N ready and my Uverse DVR does provide wireless N signal, however if I was to start doing HD distribution I would be purchasing a dual band router from Asus and turn off the wireless signal from the Uverse DVR as I could then fully utilize the 5Ghz band which I am currently not, in addition to wireless N signal rates.

However I haven't gotten that far as other expenditures have come up, as well as the need for this utilization is not great enough for me to justify the money to buy all the needed equipment, given my existing solution works fine with a very nice price to performance ratio.

In the future when things change, I may re-evaluate things and either go hardwired (my personal preference if I can get my wife to go along) or totally wireless.
  • villian
    edited June 2014
    Understandable. Also, don't forget that Cat6 cable fits under floor edge moulding very easily! I think I have one wall with 2 runs of cat6 and an HDMI stuffed underneath!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Sorry to exhume an old thread, but since this one has so much good info in it, I thought I'd tack on.

Holiday vacation project is to rip all our DVD's to my Synology NAS. Just DVDs, no Blu-ray. Not interested in playback on portable devices, just my Oppo 205 or other home streaming device. Is MKV the format I want? I'd want to retain the original video & audio quality. Is MakeMKV still a good choice? Easy to configure? I'm a bit confused about copyright protected DVDs & what that means to the ripping process. I'm not adverse to purchasing some software if it will lead to significantly better/faster results. What's everybody doing these days?
  • EndersShadow
    edited December 2017
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Sorry to exhume an old thread, but since this one has so much good info in it, I thought I'd tack on.

giphy.gif

Holiday vacation project is to rip all our DVD's to my Synology NAS. Just DVDs, no Blu-ray. Not interested in playback on portable devices, just my Oppo 205 or other home streaming device. Is MKV the format I want? I'd want to retain the original video & audio quality. Is MakeMKV still a good choice? Easy to configure? I'm a bit confused about copyright protected DVDs & what that means to the ripping process. I'm not adverse to purchasing some software if it will lead to significantly better/faster results. What's everybody doing these days?

MakeMKV still works just fine (and still is free :smile:). It will rip it in whatever the native resolution of the DVD was, and allow you to pick from the audio tracks you want (stereo, 5.1 DTS, 5.1 Dolby, etc) as most DVD's have a couple audio formats to choose from. Select those, where the file is getting saved, and bam your done.
  • If you want to retain the original video and audio quality, then MakeMKV is a good way to go. I use that program for ripping my movies to my Synology NAS (with the addition of Handbrake to further compress my movies). MakeMKV pretty fast and will get you exactly you want. All programs like this remove copy protection as part of the ripping process. As long as you are ripping your own movies to your own server, you should be fine. Personally, I wouldn't go purchasing something else as MakeMKV will get you exactly what you want.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • DaveHo
    Looks like I need to stop overthinking this, download some software, & get busy.
  • DaveHo
    Why the heck did I wait so long to do this? With MakeMKV, it's ridiculously easy, though each disc does take on the order of 7-8 minutes. 9 down, 250 to go. Rough estimate will be 1.2TB of disc space if I don't compress further. Will have to look into that once I get farther along.
  • EndersShadow
    With DVD's its prob not worth compressing. Blu-rays take between 20-40 GIGs EACH, so saving 20% or even more on that makes a big difference.

Each DVD I found was about 7-8 gig and 2 TB Hard Drives are fairly cheap. Its when you start maxing out a bunch of 4TB drives that it gets tricky.... aint that right @mrbiron @ZLTFUL :smile:
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited December 2017
    Popping in to voice my thanks to Dan and Ryan for their recommendation here. Earlier this year I started ripping my cds to .flac. Fiddled around with Plex a little bit for a second time (didn't take the first time) and later realized I could/should try to rip my dvds, too. I started, and shortly after was viewing content on my tv. It's ridiculously simple, yes. And addictive. This stuff is pretty fun, fun watching your collection grow. In fact, similarly to audio, I'm finding that I don't even really watch a whole lot of this content yet, but more enjoying the building/collection process more than anything. It's really cool stuff.

I think the hardest thing for me - and it wasn't that difficult - was learning a little about how Plex identifies tv seasons, and how to best go about my storage structure and file naming in order for Plex to most easily pick up the content and identify and display it properly. Ex., for Eureka Season 1, Disc 4, Episode 10, my storage structure looks like this:
    C:\_dvd\mkv\tv\Eureka\Season 01\Eureka_s01d04e10_t00.mkv

I add Eureka_s01d04 at the top level, and press enter, and then it typically propagates this title "root" to the rest of the detected files/chapters/episodes. (MakeMKV adds in that _t00 part). Plex is smart and can read that filename to split up the files and present them to you in the browser/dashboard as separate seasons, and then does the lookup on the back end to pull in the actual Episode Titles for you from various public databases.

I need to give this thread the once over. I'm sure there are some golden nuggets in here. (Go ahead Mark, take that one and run with it :D )

AUTODETECTED DEFAULT DISC NAME
    1kokigvbldah.png

ADJUSTED DISC NAME WITH SPECIFIC SEASON AND DISC INFORMATION
    Notice how the chapter titles update. I then manually highlight and add in the "e00" at the end under the title Properties field in the right pane.
    1t2e9q426bpn.png
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Each DVD I found was about 7-8 gig and 2 TB Hard Drives are fairly cheap. Its when you start maxing out a bunch of 4TB drives that it gets tricky.... aint that right @mrbiron @ZLTFUL :smile:

4TB are so pedestrian...8TB or bust! :D
    I've got a 6TB that has less than a terabyte left so i am on the hunt for another 8TB Red.
    msg wrote: »
    I need to give this thread the once over. I'm sure there are some golden nuggets in here. (Go ahead Mark, take that one and run with it :D )
    giphy.gif

Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    mrbiron wrote: »
    4TB are so pedestrian...8TB or bust! :D
    I've got a 6TB that has less than a terabyte left so i am on the hunt for another 8TB Red.

Yeah, well we all don't make that "Mr. Big Construction Foreman with an office" money do we :blush: .... :wink:

I'm still waiting on the 8TB prices to come down a bit then will be buying 2 and then moving 2 of my 4 TB Hdd's to my NAS, and then taking the 2 TB drives that were IN the NAS and making them externals..... or who knows, maybe I buy a PCI-E to SATA card and run everything in the HTPC for a bit lol....

• mrbiron
    Java JRE

Have you all downloaded and run Java JRE add-on yet?
    This is used to help identify the correct file when dealing with a protected Blu-ray.
    Yeah, well we all don't make that "Mr. Big Construction Foreman with an office" money do we :blush: .... :wink:
    Superintendent...Don't ever demote me like that! :p

Check this out!...I was flying our company drone (strictly for jobsite photo's/video's) and grabbed this photo of the job i'm working on in CT. It's a phantom 4 i think...
    b61suvcleao0.jpg
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I figured you'd be too heavy for that.
    I disabled signatures.
  • EndersShadow
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Java JRE

Have you all downloaded and run Java JRE add-on yet?
    This is used to help identify the correct file when dealing with a protected Blu-ray.
    Superintendent...Don't ever demote me like that! :p

Check this out!...I was flying our company drone (strictly for jobsite photo's/video's) and grabbed this photo of the job i'm working on in CT. It's a phantom 4 i think...
    b61suvcleao0.jpg

Well look at you "Mr big britches"......
  • mrbiron
    edited December 2017
    msg wrote: »
    I figured you'd be too heavy for that.
    The hard part is holding the controls while hanging from below. Almost shook myself off a couple of times.

Well look at you "Mr big britches"......
    I'm a towering 5'-9"....no "big britches" here. My cod piece on the other hand holds back a mountain!
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    I thought this was you sporting a rubber cod piece.

d3q8yya4o1c2.png
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Well helllloooo sailor!!!
    Definately Frederique.....
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548
    5cent dances at the Blue Oyster 'til Christmas Eve.
  • DaveHo
    With DVD's its prob not worth compressing. Blu-rays take between 20-40 GIGs EACH, so saving 20% or even more on that makes a big difference.

I don't have enough storage space ATM to handle my blu-rays. NAS has two 3TB drives in a mirrored configuration. My main motivation for starting this is shelf real estate. The DVD portion of the collection takes up significantly more space & I'll be damned if I'm going to buy another rack. The DVDs will go into boxes & put into storage.
  • mrbiron
    I don't have enough storage space ATM to handle my blu-rays. NAS has two 3TB drives in a mirrored configuration. My main motivation for starting this is shelf real estate. The DVD portion of the collection takes up significantly more space & I'll be damned if I'm going to buy another rack. The DVDs will go into boxes & put into storage.

I haven't even moved all of my movies to storage yet. Thanks for the reminder. I know what i'm doing tonight after my 4th beer!

I was bringing a bag full of DVD's to work with me as well as ripping when i got home. It took me about a month to rip my 250+-. About 10-15 minutes each. Just hunker down and hammer it once. Dont let it drag out. Then enjoy the freedom of movies at your fingertips.
    Blurays had to be burned at home with the faster puter. They take roughly 20-22 minutes each.