Mayweather-McGregor fight

2»

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Not to mention the MMA logic when it comes to rounds is to start hard and taper off towards the end (if not finish), which is the opposite with how Mayweather fights.

I feel like McGregor represented the MMA world fantastically, worth the $100 as long as you didn't have streaming issues!

Class action lawsuits hit Showtime, Ufctv will probably be next.

Why lawsuits?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Spoiled by Rocky movies. Real boxing is boring now... :p:p
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    The way the fight ended had me a little disappointed. I remember boxing where one opponent lands on the mat and the ref counts him off. He stands up at an 8 count and continues to box.
    Connor was in a bad spot but the ref ended it very abruptly.

*confusion*

Maybe I don't watch enough boxing to understand...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    mrbiron wrote: »
    The way the fight ended had me a little disappointed. I remember boxing where one opponent lands on the mat and the ref counts him off. He stands up at an 8 count and continues to box.

*confusion*

If only Rocky threw the towel Apollo would still be with us today...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Conner should of been docked points as many times as the ref had to tell him no hitting behind the head and no hammer fists. The one round when he grabbed mayweather from behind and hammer fisted him on top and behind the head was like the 5th time his was told not to do that.
    Decent fight but he was not coming back he was going to go down. Maybe they should of let it go that far, but too many times it has went really bad for those guys getting dead instead of fighting another day.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    mrbiron wrote: »

*confusion*

If only Rocky threw the towel Apollo would still be with us today...

Rocky was an accessory to homocide...interesting theory.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Conner should of been docked points as many times as the ref had to tell him no hitting behind the head and no hammer fists. The one round when he grabbed mayweather from behind and hammer fisted him on top and behind the head was like the 5th time his was told not to do that.
    Decent fight but he was not coming back he was going to go down. Maybe they should of let it go that far, but too many times it has went really bad for those guys getting dead instead of fighting another day.

Maybe Mayweather should stop turning around and putting his head down. That's why no one watches boxing.
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • vmaxer
    exalted512 wrote: »
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Maybe Mayweather should stop turning around and putting his head down. That's why no one watches boxing.

Not sure what you mean?? Mayweather certainly isn't why people don't watch boxing? Hasn't fought in 2 years. Boxing has really gone downhill a lot lately though.

I rarely buy PPV, then I hear the results and don't watch it when it does show. That is but one issue.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    vmaxer wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean?? Mayweather certainly isn't why people don't watch boxing? Hasn't fought in 2 years. Boxing has really gone downhill a lot lately though.

I rarely buy PPV, then I hear the results and don't watch it when it does show. That is but one issue.

I mean in the first few rounds, whenever McGregor was hitting Mayweather repeatedly, Mayweather would turn around and put his head down so the ref would have to stop them. I wasn't referring to Mayweather specifically, but just the fact that a boxer can simply turn around if he's getting hit and they have to stop the fight to 'reset'. People pay money to see people hit other people. If, as a 'fighter', you can simply turn your back to stop the fight, the people paying to watch are not going to want to watch again because they're not seeing a fight, they're seeing a manipulation of the rules which prevents fighting from taking place.

I apologize if my initial post wasn't clear enough - but this is exactly why you see people watching UFC and not boxing.

FWIW, I'll fight Mayweather for 1/100th of what McGregor took home.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    I have better things to do with what pay per view costs, hope you enjoyed it though.
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885

I mean in the first few rounds, whenever McGregor was hitting Mayweather repeatedly, Mayweather would turn around and put his head down so the ref would have to stop them. I wasn't referring to Mayweather specifically, but just the fact that a boxer can simply turn around if he's getting hit and they have to stop the fight to 'reset'. People pay money to see people hit other people. If, as a 'fighter', you can simply turn your back to stop the fight, the people paying to watch are not going to want to watch again because they're not seeing a fight, they're seeing a manipulation of the rules which prevents fighting from taking place.

I apologize if my initial post wasn't clear enough - but this is exactly why you see people watching UFC and not boxing.

-Cody

Well put. very well put. It's almost like cheating.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850

-Cody

Excellent point, and why I'm a fan of MMA and not boxing anymore.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited August 2017
    I bought the fight with a few friends and was thoroughly entertained. Mcgregor impressed me with this being his first pro boxing match against arguably the best pound for pound fighter of all time. I do think it was stopped prematurely and am skeptical as to why. My theory is that the way it ended legitimized the promotion of a crossover fight, kept mayweathers legacy intact and gave mcgregor a way to save face by lasting ten rounds and have the specter of a premature stoppage loom over the bout (further legitimizing his place). Mcgregor is the best interview in the business. It really is a shame the way that the race card was pulled inthe build up - anyone who has watched mcgregor has seen these antics before and it was a way to drum up controversy to generate more buys (which it did in record fashion). I can only hope that this bout doesn't serve as a precursor for the crossover to happen with regularity.
    Post edited by shawn474 on
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • vmaxer

-Cody

First of all, I didn't mean that in a bad way, wasn't sure what you meant - all clear now.

No apology was needed.

As for the fight - this wasn't much of a fight, not was it meant to be in my opinion.

Mayweather is way past his prime, especially for the weight class. McGregor hit him more than anyone ever has...I think. Had Mayweather been in his prime (and when he fought offensively) the results would have been way different.

This was more about him going out 50-0 than anything.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited August 2017
    ^^ not 50-0 because the fight was just for money. This didn't go on anyone's record.

Plus mayweather throwing those cheap shots after the whistle blew. In MMA that doesn't slide and they pull some serious points from you. In my opinion Mayweather is a 9ussy.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    The UFC has turned into as big of a joke as most other major sports (NBA, NFL, MLB, etc). We used to love it - in fact we bought every pay per view from UFC 99 to UFC 196. Used to be a great product, with great personalities. It started going south when the UFC fell in love with Rousey, and then went over the cliff when they pledged everything to McGregor.

It’s beyond saving now...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    Yup. Cowboy should have had his title shot years ago, when he was in his prime. Seriously, that guy would fight six times a year, when McGregor was fighting once or twice.

While we are on the subject, the Jon Jones situation soured me too - the guy gets busted for PEDs and/or cocaine what, four times, and he’s still fighting. Then you have Sonnen who gets tagged for elevated testosterone (prescribed by his physician, BTW), and he’s out for life...?
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited January 2020
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Yup. Cowboy should have had his title shot years ago, when he was in his prime. Seriously, that guy would fight six times a year, when McGregor was fighting once or twice.

While we are on the subject, the Jon Jones situation soured me too - the guy gets busted for PEDs and/or cocaine what, four times, and he’s still fighting. Then you have Sonnen who gets tagged for elevated testosterone (prescribed by his physician, BTW), and he’s out for life...?

Cerrone did have a title shot and lost via TKO rd 1 due to a liver shot by Rafael Dos Anjos. After that fight Conor was supposed to fight RDA for the lightweight title. RDA then lost it to Eddie Alvarez while Conor was fighting Nate Diaz. We all know the rest of the story.

Sonnen was never banned for life. He fought for bellator as recently as a year ago. Won some lost some then retired.

TRT was banned, he continued using and got hit with a suspension for it.

Not a Jones apologizer but the amount of PEDs he was caught with was "deemed" not performance enhancing. He paid the price for the cocaine test right after the first DC fight.

Remember the only reason Jon is still fighting is because he agreed to help USADA "find" other cheaters for a reduced sentence.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • daddyjt
    I stand corrected - Sonnen was banned (not suspended) from the UFC... Kinda like saying a player is banned from MLB, but he’s not banned, because he can go play in a Japanese league.

And with all due respect, Jones did not “pay the price”. He was brought back in because he sells the PPVs. That’s my whole issue with the UFC - it became all about the money. From the Reebok deal (which really cost all but the top level fighters), to the fight cards chosen for PPV sales only. I knew it was inevitable, even back watching WEC. Still sucks though, but it seems to happen to all sports.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• codycatalist
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I stand corrected - Sonnen was banned (not suspended) from the UFC... Kinda like saying a player is banned from MLB, but he’s not banned, because he can go play in a Japanese league.

And with all due respect, Jones did not “pay the price”. He was brought back in because he sells the PPVs. That’s my whole issue with the UFC - it became all about the money. From the Reebok deal (which really cost all but the top level fighters), to the fight cards chosen for PPV sales only. I knew it was inevitable, even back watching WEC. Still sucks though, but it seems to happen to all sports.

He was out for a couple years and lost on numerous payouts and endorsements... Ala Nike.

I'd say that's paying the price for doing some booger sugar the week of a fight. Granted the hit/run and drag racing charges also hurt him quite a bit.

Im a fan of a clean sport as much as the next guy but without roids we wouldn't have some of the best Pride fights we can still watch today LOL!

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Welcome to pro sports. Pick any sport.
    The UFC became a big money deal and all the nonsense
    that that comes with it showed up.
    I haven't watched a bout in some time.
    It's a shame, but that's the way it is.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • codycatalist
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Welcome to pro sports. Pick any sport.
    The UFC became a big money deal and all the nonsense
    that that comes with it showed up.
    I haven't watched a bout in some time.
    It's a shame, but that's the way it is.

True. Let’s keep in mind they were sold to IMG. They need to make up that multi billion dollar purchase someway.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I'm glad I didn't pay to see that 30 sec. fight. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • daddyjt
    There are much better things to spend $120 a minute on...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn