Would yooz buy a Marantz SA 8005 for the DAC

I hear that it is very good and that it is great sounding transport. Do yallz think it's a good idea to try and kill two birds with one stone? I imagine that it would be an improvement over the Aries Mini DAC and also should sound better than my Cambridge CXU for CD SACD. This is just conjecture based on the numerous comments from you folks over the years. What sez yall? PS I probably should jumped on that 8004 instead of asking stoopid questions.

Comments

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    This is exactly what I did.
    It soumds great and I have no complaints.
    I don't have any experience comparing it to other DACs so someone else will need to help you with that.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Do you need a SACD player?
    I don't think you will be disappointed if you pick up the 8005. (though I'd aim higher)
    I assume you planning on plugging in a PC or MAC or something...
    It has a Cirrus Logic CS4398 chip, but it is how it is implemented that matters.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited August 2017
    I say no!

I have the SA-8005 SACD and really like it and it's DAC.

But I prefer using my Auralic Mini and its DAC and my internal SSD full of music and not using a PC anymore to control my digital files.

sound wise they are pretty even when comparing their DACs.

but if you want a great Transport and want to start collecting SACD's sure buy it. buy just for a DAC...otherwise I'd take the $1200 and use it on a seperate DAC like maybe the "Musical Paradise" DAC @marvda1 hook up to my system at LSAF :) it is a beast

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=80
    39zetnt56386.jpg

here is a thought - Maybe Marvin and/or skip could tell you if you could hook the mini up to this Paradise DAC and use it DAC instead of the DAC in the Auralic mini?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    I'll be honest and say I'm down on external DACs at the moment.
    (though tube DACs are interesting) Nothing like watching your investment
    in a external DAC get cut in half 18 months later. I'd get an external if
    you want to, say do MQA, and don't have a device that supports it.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I have a small collection of SACD's no more than 20 hardly enough to justify but I am sure I will get more as good deals show up. A lot of people here have said the SA-800X have an outstanding DAC, it has also been said that the aforementioned transport will outperform a Universal player. If it cant better what I have on both counts I will come up with another idea.

Yours truly
    Wee Todd

PS @rednedtugent, I can imagine where you are going but my wallet is thin and I am too short to defer my gratification lol.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    the thing about the musical paradise is you can use two different families of tubes, tube rectified, swap caps easily, single ended or balanced, as a preamp, and the newer model you can even swap different dac chips. should keep you in the game for a while.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Audio is all about baby steps. Try it out man, see what you think. I didn't get where I am by purchasing 8000$ speakers right off the bat. It takes time.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Any thoughts on the offerings from PS Audio?
    PerfectWave or DirectWave??. . .. the 'gon has "some" decent prices
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    marvda1 wrote: »
    the thing about the musical paradise is you can use two different families of tubes, tube rectified, swap caps easily, single ended or balanced, as a preamp, and the newer model you can even swap different dac chips. should keep you in the game for a while.

Marv that does sound great but I do suffer from Teflon brain and I am limited to plug and pray for the most part, however in a short time, I will be retired so that may change dramatically (I hope).

Eternally your
    Sofa King

PS. What about crating up them Ferarris?