Better SACD Ripping - With Oppo

DarqueKnight
DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
edited December 2016 in Going Digital
Back in 2014 I spoke of acquiring a Sony Playstation 3 that had been modified to rip dsf format DSD files from SACD discs in order to load them in my digital music player. I have totally moved away from disc-based music playback. The PS3 has performed flawlessly for the two years I have owned it. However, older PS3s are not known for their robustness, longevity, and reliability, especially under heavy gaming use. My PS3 has been and always will be used sparingly, to rip my small SACD collection and the few SACD titles I buy each year, therefore I might never have a breakdown. Still, I wasn't entirely confident in the PS3's longevity, especially with its propensity for running hot and thermal shutdowns (during long gaming sessions).

I recently started looking for another PS3 to have as a backup unit because I can't be caught without SACD ripping capability. The four older PS3 models that can be modified for SACD ripping are long discontinued and are increasingly difficult to find. Once the SACD-ripping hack became more widely known, audiophiles began snapping them up.

During the course of my search, I came across a thread on the Computer Audiophile forum which discussed certain models of Oppo, Pioneer, and Cambridge Audio that could be hacked to allow SACD ripping.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true-29251/

I concentrated on finding an Oppo BDP-103 (MSRP $499). This model was in the middle of the pack with regard to price and build quality. I found a mint condition unit being offered by a seller at a fair price on another forum.

PS3SACDRippingStation-s_zpsgssw3b9h.jpg
Figure 1. The PS3 has served well, but it has been relegated to backup duty in the unlikely event the Oppo BDP-103 breaks down.

Oppo-SACD%20Ripper-BDP-103-s_zpsewvwif76.jpg
Figure 2. I was very impressed with the BDP-103's build quality and feature set.

The BDP-103 has a very good reputation for performance and reliability, therefore, considering it will only be used for occasional SACD ripping, and considering it has seen little use by its previous owner, it should outlast me.

BDP-103%20Inside-s_zpsek8pw0cw.jpg
Figure 3. Peek inside. Good layout and solid build.

BDP-103%20Bag-s_zps2dbdjbbk.jpg
Figure 4. The BDP-103 is packed in a heavily padded box and, rather than the usual plastic bag, is placed inside a canvas carrying bag. Nice touch.

Ripping is done with Sonore's free ISO2DSD software. The only difference between the PS3 process and the 103 process is that the 103 must be "reset" for ripping by inserting a USB stick containing a folder with three autoscript files. The rest of the process is the same using the ISO2DSD software.

DSD files ripped from SACDs on the BDP-103 are identical in size and sound to those ripped with the PS3.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
Post edited by DarqueKnight on

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Nice, I kept my son's original PS3, but still have not tried the ripping process. I do have a nice selection of SACD's

TFS the link
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Have you verified that your son's PS3 is one of the four models that play SACDs? Also, for the hack to work, the firmware has to be version 3.55 or lower. Higher firmware versions cannot be rolled back.

PS3%20SACD%20Models-s_zpsr6cxtpjf.jpg

Table taken from:

http://ps3sacd.com/faq.html#_Toc180147566

Instructions for the PS3 software modifications required for SACD ripping can be found here:

https://newtoolbox.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sacd-ripper-primer-v4-0.pdf

I bought my PS3 pre-modified, so I didn't have to hack mine.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Oh yes it's one of the originals, I later bought another PS3 (smaller version) to play Tigerwoods, but quit using it and gave it to him and stored his old one to do the SACD ripping.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    DK, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the BDP-103 via analog outs on your main rig if you have the time or inclination.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • That would be an interesting trial. I did compare the BDP-103's audio and video quality to the Sony BDP-S2000ES in my home office and the Sony was better, but it should have been at nearly 2.5X the price.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I am finding out there is quite a bit the BDP-103 can do, and do well.

Another nice (informative) write-up, DK. I will be watching and waiting to see when/if
    you give the Oppo the Dynamat treatment... ;)
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    The ripped files, does your streamer recognize them as is? Like myself using jriver or eventually I might go with an Aries, do you need to do anything with the files to have your device recognize it as a dsd file?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • No further processing is required after ripping. The ripped DSD files are playable by JRiver directly from my computer's hard drive and are playable by my digital music player.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Nice!!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    So if the 103 will work I wonder about the 105, I have two of them..
  • Yes, the 103, 105, 103D, and 105D all work for SACD ripping.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Nice. I just ordered the Oppo 203, and planned on using the 103 as a spare. Since I have a ton of SACDs, Classical and Rock, that I never play anymore I will give this ripping a try. Thanks.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • another Nice write-up DK!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I love my BDP-103 as my "universal" transport into my Benchmark DAC2. I run a USB hard drive into it with my flac files.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Two questions
    1. Do the older OPPO models (the BD83 for example) work?
    2. Does the reset affect anything in the normal operation of the player? My 105 already has a lot of third party audiophile mods that i would not want to upset.

Thanks
  • DarqueKnight
    juanjojuan wrote: »
    Two questions
    1. Do the older OPPO models (the BD83 for example) work?

No. The BDP-83 uses an older Mediatek chipset. Only players that use either the Mediatek MT8580 or MT8560 chipsets can be used for SACD ripping.
    juanjojuan wrote: »
    2. Does the reset affect anything in the normal operation of the player? My 105 already has a lot of third party audiophile mods that i would not want to upset.

Thanks

No.

Both of your questions are discussed extensively in the Computer Audiophile forum thread I linked to in the original post.
  • Many thanks, sorry for not spotting the link.
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,030
    Start ripping with ISO2DSD and have a question about what to select for channel mode. I assume "Dual" for SACD Stereo layer and "Multi" for SACD multi-channel layer. Am I correct?
  • DarqueKnight
    Correct.
  • haimoc
    Thanks. Dsf file size difference between 2 modes is very obvious.

For example: track.. PETER WHITE - Chasing The Dawn.dsf
    (dual 223,545 KB vs multi 670,633 KB).
  • haimoc
    edited July 2017
    So far so good with Oppo 103 (bought it used for $250.00).. I don't need to ""reset for ripping".. Just keep feeding Oppo with new SACD and execute on ISO2DSD.
  • DarqueKnight
    Thanks for mentioning Peter White's "Glow" album. It is one of my favorite guitar CDs. I didn't know there was an SACD version. I ordered a copy yesterday. :)
  • haimoc
    Yes, this album is one of my favorite SACDs. I like both stereo and multi-channel from this recording. I hope you'd like it, too.
  • DarqueKnight
    I am using the BDP-103 to output multichannel DSD via HDMI to the Yamaha CX-A5100 pre/pro. I was disappointed to find that the 103 does not have a web-based control interface. I don't like having to turn on the TV to navigate menus when I only want to play music. I have the Oppo's control app on my cell phone, but it is cumbersome to use.

Oppo told me others have requested web-based control interfaces for their universal players, but they don't know when, if ever, they will offer this capability in a future firmware release.
  • DarqueKnight
    I found an Android emulator, BlueStacks, that allows running some Android apps on a Windows PC. This emulator allows me to run the Oppo control app from the docked tablet computer that controls my home theater system. As you can see, the graphical user interface does not fill up the screen because it was written for tiny mobile phone screens.

Basic mode is free, paid mode (ad free) is $3.33 a month. I have not experienced any ads popping up while running the Oppo app. There were no installation or other issues with either my tablet computers or my desktop computers.

qeik5eag6dqn.jpg
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I need to start ripping some SACD's with my Oppo 103...

As for the web based controls, that is an issue with the 103. They did address it with the 20X series players though. I find the new app to work great.
  • I own the BDP-103 and followed all the instructions to the letter. Inserting the USB flash drive to the OPPO results in the drawer opening and I then inserted one of my SACDs and checked the IP address of the OPPO. However, ISO2DSD does not recognize the IP address of my Oppo and, as a result, errors out when I attempt to execute. The OPPO shows up on my computer as a network device and I have streamed to the OPPO via DLNA. So does anyone have an idea why this is happening. I have a lot of SACDs I would love to archive. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    They don't wear out, so not sure why the desire to archive.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    edited October 2018
    captnvideo wrote: »
    I own the BDP-103 and followed all the instructions to the letter. Inserting the USB flash drive to the OPPO results in the drawer opening and I then inserted one of my SACDs and checked the IP address of the OPPO. However, ISO2DSD does not recognize the IP address of my Oppo and, as a result, errors out when I attempt to execute. The OPPO shows up on my computer as a network device and I have streamed to the OPPO via DLNA. So does anyone have an idea why this is happening. I have a lot of SACDs I would love to archive. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

As I am writing this, my ISO2DSD software is ripping Cannoball Adderley's "Somethin' ELSE" SACD to a series of DSD .dsf files.

This is what I did:

1. Pulled my BDP-103 and accessories out of the treasure vault.
    2. connected the BDP-103 to power and to my router.
    3. Inserted the magic USB stick with the magic files.
    4. Turned on the player. (note, you can also insert the USB stick after turning
    on the player. I just get a cheap thrill out of the drawer magically opening after I
    turn on the player.
    5. Navigate to "Settings", then "Network Setup". Verified the IP address of the BDP-103. My router usually assigns the same IP address to the BDP-103, but I always check.
    6. Put in Cannoball Adderley's "Somethin' ELSE" SACD and closed the drawer.
    7. Started ISO2DSD software, and verified that the IP address shown on the "Server Information" screen was the same as the BDP-103's. Also, make sure that the port number (four digit number after the colon) is there following the IP address.
    8. Click on the "Execute" button. About 20 seconds later the SACD started ripping.

If your BDP-103's IP address is showing correctly in ISO2DSD, then check to see that your
    USB stick is configured properly. There should only be a folder titled "Autoscript". Inside that folder there should only be three files:

Autoscript
    Autoscript.TSS
    sacd_extract

The USB stick must be formatted with FAT32 file format.

If your IP addressing is correct and your USB stick is configured properly, the only other thing I can think of is that there is some file corruption or other problem with that particular USB stick.

Try another USB stick and copy the files from your PC (not the current USB stick) on to the new USB stick.
    F1nut wrote: »
    They don't wear out, so not sure why the desire to archive.

Maybe "archiving" is only half the story. My SACDs are "archived" also, and I now just play the ripped .dsf files from my music server.
    Post edited by DarqueKnight on
  • Thank you DarqueKnight for your response. I know what the problem is: the four digit port number. I did not know what to put there so I left it blank. Please tell me where I get the port number from?