The search for the perfect listening chair is over...

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited July 2017
    Not a chance in hell bro'....my 7 year old son gets all of my kit....

....But I will advise him to offer you my "Superman" and "Rescuers" and "Chipmunks" LP from way back in the day....

BTW, you guys may revoke my audiophile card after what I'm about to tell you......stay tuned and hold on to your hats.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    msg wrote: »
    Dibs on the spare change when Tom swaps out his chair again next weekend.
    Word is he's planning to Karma the Doritos crumbs, too.

Careful now, he probably left a couple gold plated dingle-berries

Heard he had the midas touch
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • treitz3
    First off, I am catching up on this thread now. I'd like to take the time out to thank those who have offered me kind words. I appreciate that, this has become my hobby and in many respects, my life....achieving where I am at along my audio journey.

Secondly, I have been through the 13 amplifiers in one month thing. I have been through the plethora of cables, I have had well over 60 some odd CDP's and pre's. The point is that I am done with all of that. I have learned and honed in on where I am at and where I would like to be along my audio journey.

Most of what I have at this point will be with me until I'm 6' under and I hand the kit over to my son. Some will go, 85% of my system will stay withe me until I am 6' under. I say that with full confidence. What I have heard in my travels, regardless of cost, tells me this.

It is what it is.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Kudos Brother! Kudos!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    BlueFox: I have that exact chair same exact color. Love it.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    dromunds, you have impeccable taste. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • lightman1
    F1nut wrote: »
    Bud, that carpet.........

Yup..it hurts my ears
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited July 2017
    treitz3 wrote: »

It is what it is.

Tom

And you get what you accept. ;) Nice gear.

I applaud folks in their audio journey, but mine is pretty well done too.

Jesse, lol. I remember seeing a zig-zag pattern like that called "Critters in the Attic."
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    halen wrote: »
    Tom,

What's your setup today? Specifically, speakers. Thanks.
    Hi Halen. My main speakers are Tyler Acoustic Signature Series Lynbrook edition, 1 piece in Ribbon Mahogany, completely gutted, rebuilt, refinished with custom built external upgraded crossovers, spiked and w/each shelf on a suspension chassis. See below for subs.

PS - Richard Grey 400Pro Power Supply to -
    CDP - Marantz SA-7S1 Super Audio CDP w/Transparent Reference IC's to Pre -
    Server - Node 2 NAP w/Transparent Gen5 Optical cable to a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC w/ Transparent Reference IC's to Pre-
    TT - Music Hall MMF-5 w/ Goldring 1012Gx cart, "The Clamp", isolation footing, the 25th AE Nitty Gritty DS RCM in Jatoba and smoked cover with the "Shark" and Soniclean steam cleaner to Jolida JD9 MkII tubed phono pre w/ Transparent Reference IC's to Pre -
    PRE - Dodd Audio MLP tubed pre-amplifier with 4ea. Ei 12AX7 Gold Pins, isolation footings w/ custom cord to separate PS and pre. w/ Transparent Reference IC's to -
    AMP - Musical Fidelity A3cr Dual Mono choke regulated SS amplifier w/ Transparent Musicwave Ultra SC's to -
    SPEAKERS - Tyler Acoustics Lynbrook Sig. Series in Ribbon Mahogany, spiked with a custom built and upgraded crossover unit in conjunction to stereo set of Tyler Acoustic custom subs w/Seas 12" woofers, 500w plate amp each, spiked and on Target stands w/ AQ King Cobra 12' IC's coming from the MF AC3r to the subs.

All but the speaker, subs and crossover units are on an Elite stand (model number unknown) and located in a dedicated room in the former MBR of the house. The only things in the room are two plants at the first reflection points, the stereo, the RCM and stand and CD's located to the left of the listening position. All spare parts, tubes, gear, more CD's and a plethora of LP's are located in the walk in closet.

Dual or triple 20 amp dedicated lines and 2ea Rythmik F-25 subs being planned as we speak. Also on the hunt for a mint Musical Fidelity 750w amplifier that is not located in Canada (Customs, duty fees, power of attorney, misc BS charges and shipping are WAY too much). Might have to wait a while for this one...

Forgive me for any mis-prints or wrong information. I am getting old and most of this was all off of memory. Should be correct though. I'll call you if you are available tonight or feel free to call anytime (up to 12:00am)

Tom

Good gawd. I asked specifically about speakers and he gave me a history of the world. Did Tom mention his speakers in that novel?

Kidding.

Good talking to you Tom.

Cheers.
  • halen
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Sheet fire, Tom....Brag much?

Halen asked a stoopid question ;):p

Before any of you go reporting me...I disclose, I have pictures holding Halen's daughter...he's one of my bro's

Damn straight broham. If end of day approaches. I am hunkering down with Ron. Of course.. with one of them fancy chairs.

MP straddled... And tunes..
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    halen wrote: »
    Tom,

What's your setup today? Specifically, speakers. Thanks.
    Hi Halen. My main speakers are Tyler Acoustic Signature Series Lynbrook edition, 1 piece in Ribbon Mahogany, completely gutted, rebuilt, refinished with custom built external upgraded crossovers, spiked and w/each shelf on a suspension chassis. See below for subs.

PS - Richard Grey 400Pro Power Supply to -
    CDP - Marantz SA-7S1 Super Audio CDP w/Transparent Reference IC's to Pre -
    Server - Node 2 NAP w/Transparent Gen5 Optical cable to a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 Tube DAC w/ Transparent Reference IC's to Pre-
    TT - Music Hall MMF-5 w/ Goldring 1012Gx cart, "The Clamp", isolation footing, the 25th AE Nitty Gritty DS RCM in Jatoba and smoked cover with the "Shark" and Soniclean steam cleaner to Jolida JD9 MkII tubed phono pre w/ Transparent Reference IC's to Pre -
    PRE - Dodd Audio MLP tubed pre-amplifier with 4ea. Ei 12AX7 Gold Pins, isolation footings w/ custom cord to separate PS and pre. w/ Transparent Reference IC's to -
    AMP - Musical Fidelity A3cr Dual Mono choke regulated SS amplifier w/ Transparent Musicwave Ultra SC's to -
    SPEAKERS - Tyler Acoustics Lynbrook Sig. Series in Ribbon Mahogany, spiked with a custom built and upgraded crossover unit in conjunction to stereo set of Tyler Acoustic custom subs w/Seas 12" woofers, 500w plate amp each, spiked and on Target stands w/ AQ King Cobra 12' IC's coming from the MF AC3r to the subs.

All but the speaker, subs and crossover units are on an Elite stand (model number unknown) and located in a dedicated room in the former MBR of the house. The only things in the room are two plants at the first reflection points, the stereo, the RCM and stand and CD's located to the left of the listening position. All spare parts, tubes, gear, more CD's and a plethora of LP's are located in the walk in closet.

Dual or triple 20 amp dedicated lines and 2ea Rythmik F-25 subs being planned as we speak. Also on the hunt for a mint Musical Fidelity 750w amplifier that is not located in Canada (Customs, duty fees, power of attorney, misc BS charges and shipping are WAY too much). Might have to wait a while for this one...

Forgive me for any mis-prints or wrong information. I am getting old and most of this was all off of memory. Should be correct though. I'll call you if you are available tonight or feel free to call anytime (up to 12:00am)

Tom

Nice starter system >:)

Kiddin I would love to listen to that, can't imagine.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • treitz3
    BTW, you guys may revoke my audiophile card after what I'm about to tell you......stay tuned and hold on to your hats.
    Tom
    Okay, I must be honest here. You guys may actually revoke every credential I have earned since day one on this one. I will tell you my observations and you may take it or leave it, you may call me crazy, say that I am on some serious drugs or that you want or otherwise discount everything else I may have to say beyond this point but it is what is is….

….and I trust my ears….

….always have, always will….

Things have completely changed. Upon further listening, I have found that the sound stage has come into fruition. I already mentioned that the lower registers have tightened (even though there was zero issue prior too) and that the imaging improved. Truth be told, this was on one song and with interruptions. Now that I have time to sit down (without interruption) and listen? Holy crap Batman!

What a change! The speakers were once somewhat differentiated on (in other words, detected occasionally on locational cues). They are now GONE. Whalla. *poof* GONE. Where did they go? Don’t ask me. Ask the numbers guys and measurement guru’s. I could care less who you ask or what their explanation would be or is. All I care about is the end result as to what hits these ears. That is the ONLY thing that I care about.

With that said, I cannot explain why this is the case. I can only relay my personal observations to you based upon what I hear or observe with my own ears. The change in the sound scape is more than noticeable to me. It has become a major element to the whole scheme of things. Like I said before, If you told me that a chair would have made a difference? I would have bet against you, unless the back was too high.

Now? I would bet the other way based upon criteria that I have firsthand knowledge with.

The bass is exceptional, crystal clear with more authority, texture and presence and felt through the chair (not the case before). The mid-bass is the same with added clarity on texture and impact.

I have changed not one thing in the room in the past month or two. The chair is the one and only change I have made and the differences in the end result as to what hits my ears is definitely NOT what I expected. It is a pleasant surprise but still…WTF?

Who knew?

I sure as hell did not and I’ll be the first to tell you this. Everybody is on a different path along their own personal audio journey. Some of you may have already experienced this….been there, done that. I can respect that but I do not recall anyone ever talking about this before.

A good friend of mine who is involved with this thread has said many time over the decades;

“Those that don’t know, don’t know they don’t know until they know” or something to that effect.

Well, I’ll be the first to tell you that I didn’t know that I didn’t know but now that I know I know, I’ll be sure to tell those that don’t know what they don’t know what they need to know. You know?

This is important.

If I haven’t lost you, please feel free to continue. If I have, please re-read this post prior to responding.

All aspects of the reproductive effort have been enhanced (to me as observed thus far) with just the addition of a chair. I have no data. I do not care to provide any for those that rely on it. I am simply speaking from an observational standpoint and with that said? I am doubting myself based upon my own experiences along my audio journey.

With that said, I do NOT doubt my ears. They have never lied.

Take it or leave it. Revoke my audiophile card, shame me or stone me. It is what it is and these are my true and honest observations.

Dons *flame suit*

Tom
  • lightman1
    Oooooookayyyyy..... all this from a fvckin chair, Tom?
  • treitz3
    edited July 2017
    You said the same thing over your Johnson....but I didn't question. Normal folks know...

WTF???

Tom
  • treitz3
    To answer your question?

Yes sir.

Tom
  • halen
    edited July 2017
    There are some very key facts to what Tom states.

I come from a world of bookies and the height makes a very big difference. The same holds true for the room. We had a get together at Skip's place some moons ago and I brought my Usher DMD 777 bookies. Based on the room, and all things equal, you move a couple inches out of the so called sweet spot? The mids and bass were amazing. You sit in the sweet spot, you scratch your head. What is so special... room and position height of chairs and ceiling.

I am not a guru or authority when it comes to sound. But I do know a little something about bookies, placement, and room. The smallest movement changes everything.

So. With Tom's experience. Maybe his chair was a tad bit higher, and had more reflections due to materials. I know for certain, these little things makes an overall huge difference. Very much like my Usher 777 at Skips house and the mids and lows could be found inches away.

Cheers.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I'm working on getting a new chair as well, it will be very similar in looks to this one...

TIL-TRFS1-Black-2.jpg?1388678379

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • lightman1
    :D dammit Victor!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    F1nut wrote: »
    Bud, that carpet.........

Yea I'm wondering how much they paid you to take that Jerry Garcia whiz bang thing....

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    First, I like the carpet Bud - I think it's a cool statement amid the rest of the beautiful decor and sort of says you're not completely square with the structure/engineer thing. Question is - did you pick it out, or did someone else? :p

Second, Tom, my system and experience is nowhere near as advanced as yours and others, but I don't think it's crazy at all that a chair can make a profound difference. All those things Halen said. I don't have a chair and just hang out on the couch with the combo system ususually, reading or something while listening, but when I'm really listening for something, I sit up and forward a bit, and close my eyes and the music changes. I know a lot of this has to do with not having a big, poofy sound absorber at my ears, but I've also noticed differences within just a foot or so of sitting upright. These are some of the things I enjoy about the hobby - these peripheral factors and adjustments. Some of it's maddening, but when you manage a significant step forward, man, is it cool :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    That's what I like about my chair, it's adjustable and I can set the height to the best point in sound stage...the precise sweet spot
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox

msg wrote: »
    First, I like the carpet Bud - I think it's a cool statement amid the rest of the beautiful decor and sort of says you're not completely square with the structure/engineer thing. Question is - did you pick it out, or did someone else? :p

Not to sidetrack Tom's thread, but I did everything. I moved into this house July 4 1990, and was sick of it. The inside was all white, the kitchen and bathrooms were dumps, and the floor was covered with a horrible 1950's shag rug. I remodeled almost the entire house, and added color to it. I was so sick of white and brown I needed a change. I love the remodel, and smile everyday. And the stereo sounds better too. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Only thing I can say about your chair is that we had a Lane dealer near us for years and I will say their furniture is very comfortable.

As far as a dedicated listening chair, one thing that has mattered to me is how high the back is in relation to my head. Quite a noticeable difference when the back of the chair is above your neck or even above your head.

• treitz3
    This one is about 4-6" below my ears and over the past couple of days, I have really gotten to enjoy this new sound. I have fallen asleep in the chair twice now while listening. Prior to this purchase, I had never heard of "Lane" before. I thought I would end up with a lazy Boy but out of all of the chairs I tested, not one of them fit my criteria. I was very surprised at that, as they had the biggest selection of them all.

Dskip, at least I am not alone. I honestly thought you all would beat me down over this one. I had no idea just a chair would make that much of a difference. Just as an FYI, I have since found out that not only the distance from the speakers but the height my ears are at have changed slightly. This makes sense to me with the difference in sound and imaging but I didn't think it would make the change that it has. Never in a million years would I have ever though it would have made such a dramatic difference in the end result that hits my ears.

I'm very pleased and the rig has never sounded so good.

Detecting where the speakers are is a challenge now, as the spatial locational cues come from all over the room. The center image is spot on, about a foot and a half above the tweeters as if you are in the crowd with plenty of perceived height and depth. The live concerts I have listened too are out of this world real now. One does not need to close their eyes to be located in the crowd and the ambience is surreal. You truly get a sense of just how big each venue is and where the performers are up on stage. Too cool.

Tom
  • treitz3
    edited July 2017
    I currently have my mains pointed slightly up at (I would estimate) inbetween a 2-3 degree angle. The mid and top end of the Tyler's are an MTM setup and according to the laser, the tweeter flies by my ears to the outside of each ear about 2-3" and up about the same, maybe slightly less.

Here is a stock photo of the mains, for those who may not be familiar with them -

onepc_rw_sm.jpg

M
    T
    -
    M
    W
    W

If you were to look at the speakers in the listening position, the above illustration "kinda" illustrates where my ears are at (my ears being the "-") with the angle of the speakers. They fall right below the tweeter but slightly above the lower mid-range driver within the MTM setup. The center of the subs falls exactly at this same height and both of the sub's woofers (not the 4 woofers doing the lower octaves in the mains) are pointed directly at me.

All of this combined offers me sound pressure and an impact that not only hits you in the chest but you can feel it travel through your core....and it happens so fast, it's gone as quick as it comes. This is great for "presence" IMO. I didn't like it when the subs were on the floor and the speakers were not angled up. Just didn't sound right. Where I have it now nails it.

Tom
  • BlueFox
    I used to have a cloth recliner where my leather chair now is. While comfortable I found that it tended to absorb some sound, and reclining I was to low below the tweeter for best sound. These speakers seem to be best when the ear is at the bottom of the tweeter, and the top of the midrange. Now with the leather chair when the music gets serious I put the stool behind the chair, and sit upright.

Three 20 amp circuits.