Is it just me or is the community shrinking?

Lately it seems like products available are crappy on the used market. Money to spend but nothing to spend it on and stuff for sale but no one to buy. Dwindling posts and uninteresting reviews and lack of new products all within the last 2 years. Is audio dying out with the advent of new electronic cost effective great sounding devices and such?

What do you think? Noticed any decline or are you just getting into the hobby and loving every minute of it!

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Hifi has generally been niche for some time now, especially if you don't count HT rigs that never get used for music.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    LOL
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Lately it seems like products available are crappy on the used market. Money to spend but nothing to spend it on and stuff for sale but no one to buy. Dwindling posts and uninteresting reviews and lack of new products all within the last 2 years. Is audio dying out with the advent of new electronic cost effective great sounding devices and such?

What do you think? Noticed any decline or are you just getting into the hobby and loving every minute of it!

The market was fine until you broke everything worth buying...

Ouch lol
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Lmfao. Ahahahahaa John we dont see eye to eye but Fme that's funny
  • LOL, have joined this forum recently and looks there are not too many people here. Great and solid community BTW. :D
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    LOL, have joined this forum recently and looks there are not too many people here. Great and solid community BTW. :D

There's more than you think, it's just that most have jobs/families/other interests also and can't hang out on audio forums as much as some others. Only so much time in the day.

PFB,
    In my view, could be a combination of things. The economy isn't all that great, hasn't been for awhile now. When people are more secure in their jobs and have a good feeling for the future, they will go into debt and spend the coin. When not, they watch every penny.

More and more, spendable income is down. Which limits the amount spent on luxury items. Manufacturers have to deal with rising costs, and creating products that will get people to open their wallets when they have them padlocked. Most then hold on to those good used items a bit longer than they normally would.

Baby boomers are all retiring, they aren't out buying MBL amps. Most of them are heavily invested in the stock market too which is way over priced and due to take a hit. That uncertainty of seeing your retirement money go poof, doesn't exactly juice them up to go out and spend money on luxury items.

You know the old saying...the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The middle class has definitely seen poorer, definitely took a hit. The job markets took a hit, and the stability of the country and even the world in general is off kilter. Companies are buying back stock, merging to stay afloat. Healthcare is a mess for everyone too. People in general are not comfortable with big purchases in these times. Least for unnecessary items like HI-FI. May not apply to everyone, but a good portion of them it does.

There is no single answer to your questions, but everything runs hand in hand.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I think we're just dying off -- keep an eye on the estate sales.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I'm waiting for yours. @lightman1 and I are gonna rent a 30 foot truck and drive up to the sale lol....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711

I'm waiting for yours. @lightman1 and I are gonna rent a 30 foot truck and drive up to the sale lol....

That right there is the worst thing i have ever read on this forum....THE WORST!
    You didn't even include me! He's got some of my chit and i don't want your greasy mitts all over it.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2017
    mrbiron wrote: »

That right there is the worst thing i have ever read on this forum....THE WORST!
    You didn't even include me! He's got some of my chit and i don't want your greasy mitts all over it.

I'll spray paint your name on your stuff, OK?! Now, if I can just find me some black paint...
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Can you make it hi-vis color so that it really stands out amongst the crowd ;)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    We always have blaze orange up here in huntin' country. It's that or risk endin' up stuffed and mounted starin' down over someone's fireplace mantle.

UDggffV.jpg

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346

There are more interesting AV products available now than ever before at all price points. There are however far fewer places to see new gear in person. But, the same could be said for anything in the retail sector. I could see how a gear flipper might not like the current environment with selling fees and shipping costs increasing.

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I blame the lack of any good new music. I find myself drifting away because I have beat my collection to death, and I find it difficult to find anything new worth listening to.

But since I have recently sold my Emotiva xpa1 system I have been reevaluating some of my old gear I had laying around. Which is what I enjoyed in the first place messing around with different pieces that didn't hurt the wallet too much and just enjoying the music for whatever it is.

Turns out Im really enjoying the 705s with this old second hand stuff I had collecting dust.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    It is a very niche market. I have one friend that enjoys 2 channel as much as me, everyone else into audio is very home theater oriented, which isn't my thing anymore. You can set up a very nice sounding home theater for not much cash.

The market concentrates on wireless and home theater audio. A lot of people can't understand how I can spend so much money on a 2 channel system when you can buy a nice Bluetooth speaker for 2-300 bucks.

You can enjoy good sounding music for not a lot of coin. Part of me wishes I kept it simple. I used to enjoy my lsi15's hooked up to a tube integrated, with an iPod running into it. now I'm out of control hahaha :lol:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    When I was having my house remodeled I had to use my HT system for music. After a while I was seriously considering selling the two channel and just use the HT. If necessary I could certainly live happily with it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I'm still here so I'm doing what I can to keep this train chugging. Hahaha jk

I have not felt a difference from my point of view. Still buying quite a bit of gear for my "friends"
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Is audio dying out with the advent of new electronic cost effective great sounding devices and such?

Judging by the things I shop for and judging from the coverage I read of major electronics shows such as CES and AXPONA, I don't see where audio, and high end audio, is dying out. People with extreme interests may see a decline though.
    ...or are you just getting into the hobby and loving every minute of it!

I've been in the hobby for a long time and I now love every minute of it...since I digitized my vinyl collection, retired my turntable, and converted all my CDs and SACDs to digital files. :)

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    mrbiron wrote: »

Greasy mitts is the LEAST of your worries :wink: ... we'd make sure to drop it out the back of the truck as we passed you lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited May 2017
    @polkfarmboy well I've been into Audio for quite sometime but never posted about it. I recently joined the forum... Excited about newish stuff to relplace old. E.g. took advantage of F&F to purchase LSiM 707 to replace an LSi25 and experimenting with an entry level McIntosh MA5200 which was driving the LSi25 just fine since the sub was powered.

I'd consider it Mid-Fi and far from the Esoteric Audio of some folks here.

I've had a Sansui FR-1080 for the longest time, it was my dads, but recently upgraded to a Sony PS-HX500. Its amazing was an inexpensive modern tt can do. It came with the most inexpensive Audio Technica stylus and I tried replacing it with an Ortofon super OM10 just slightly higher level than the oe AT. What a big mistake that was the OM10 was a terrible performer, I heard more noise, pops and clicks than with the AT. Imagine that...

I use the built-in DAC instead of the phono in on the Mac. The Sony was noisy with the Mac's phono preamp I think because of all the electronic doodads but Mac was fine with the bare bones Sansui. The Sony has a pretty good DAC which can also record to DSD with computer software. The downside is getting a good matching stylus to fit the specs. I think I'll wear the the OE a bit before beginning the hunt.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I've been in the business for 20 years and I have seen a huge decline.
    People are not as willing to spend the money on higher end audio rather more interested in lighting control, TV's , Cameras and whole house music systems.
    There are just not that many people who are willing to sit down and listen to music. Rather on the go or working around the house.
    With Vinyl back in a sorta strong way one would think that people would be willing to buy better speakers and amps to enjoy their Collections. I get people asking to connect record players up to whole house music systems.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mantis wrote: »
    I've been in the business for 20 years and I have seen a huge decline.
    People are not as willing to spend the money on higher end audio rather more interested in lighting control, TV's , Cameras and whole house music systems.
    There are just not that many people who are willing to sit down and listen to music. Rather on the go or working around the house.
    With Vinyl back in a sorta strong way one would think that people would be willing to buy better speakers and amps to enjoy their Collections. I get people asking to connect record players up to whole house music systems.

That right there says it all. When they do get a chance to sit down and relax, what's the first thing they do ?

Pick up a cell phone/tablet and cruise social media. 2 channel is niche for us audio wackos, most listen to music in the car or casually around the house as background music. For either of those instances, you don't need upgraded gear/cables or even better files. Whole house audio, even HT, is where the bang for your buck products are to appeal to the masses. It's what they can afford, and what manufacturers market to. Not overly complicated. Tell someone you spent 3g's on an amp and they'll look at you like you should be in a padded room.

Most don't chase better sound, they're happy with "good enough", and buy products that reflect those thoughts. Still, we have other markets for those who fell down that rabbit hole of better sound. Variety is the spice of life as they say.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    The market concentrates on wireless and home theater audio. A lot of people can't understand how I can spend so much money on a 2 channel system when you can buy a nice Bluetooth speaker for 2-300 bucks.
    mantis wrote: »

I think these sentiments come closest to describing the current environment.
    The world is definitely not "coming to an end": it's just being taken over by millennials. I should know since I have a couple of them; I can barely get them to sit down for a (whole) movie with (real) speakers/surround, and forget about listening to music on anything but headphones. And these are good, smart kids.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    The economy is on everyone's mind. Health insurance is too. Lots of misinformation to sort through to find the truth. Most do not take the time and effort to do so and they end up believing everything is cherry. I usually take baby steps with upgrades and everyone my wife knows has nothing related to good audio in their homes so she is clueless as to what is the norm. Therefor has to tell me now and then that I bring too much audio related stuff home. Even though she enjoys greatly movies in our home theater set up. She fails to realize some of the times she starts crying in a movie is because of the awesome sound coming out of the SDA's. It is my favorite Hobby! Too bad others don't have a hobby they could enjoy as much as I enjoy mine. Then they could count their blessings and mind their own business . Peace. D.................As I am number seven in line at an Estate sale with two Audio Research amp and preamp tube pieces and a VPI Scout TT and a two stage Honda Snowblower
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • The introduction of digital decimated stereo shops in the Detroit area. Woodward Ave used to have one every 1/2 mile and they are almost all gone. Coincidence ? Maybe but I think at the time digital wasn't as "involving" as analog. Still isn't , IMO.
  • Dabutcher
    edited May 2017
    They want top dollar for the VPI but I got the Honda for four bills. And a pair of RTiA1 for 75. yxnjzbka8c7n.jpg
    feoh8eisdysz.jpg
    au1xoqjbgcm2.jpg
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited May 2017
    Looks like it was a good buy. The cartridge is worth 500 used.... What happened to the AR gear?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Dabutcher
    $850 and 1500. Preamp and amp. I know nothing about tubes? I just do not play my albums much at all to justify the purchase. That's a lot of money to me. Especially sight unseen and untested. Plus I am saving up for a new Tundra and need knee replacement surgery real soon. Peace. D
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I don't think it's shrinking, it is simply growing in another direction. I think there are more people listening to music than ever before because they can take it with them.

Some of these people may well decide they want to listen to better when they get home and make an investment in a system, but it probably not be anything some of you might want to set up, but to them it will sound just as good.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2