My Daughter Said She Wants a Turntable for Christmas...

1235»

Comments

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    I'm thankful this won't play on a TT. I listened to it for a couple of minutes, never will again. At least it was in a box of free CD's.hv9kxp2nbodb.jpg
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    That wailing witch!
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    ^^^^^^^ Right on!
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    dromunds wrote: »
    Scubalab, I may have a couple LP's I could karma your way, PM me and lets see if we can figure out a couple titles/artists.

That's very generous Don! I'll fire you a PM shortly. That also reminds me that I have two duplicates (Journey and James Taylor) among what Josh, Mark, and Darryl sent and what we got her. I'll try to get a karma up for those once things settle down with my traveling for work.

We're very great full of the generosity of everyone on the forum helping us out with advice and LPs!its another thing that makes this place so great!

-Al
  • scubalab
    So, it's been nearly 5 months since Katie got started in vinyl and with all of the support and generosity here, she has built a nice little starter collection of almost 50 LPs. A couple weekends ago, Katie, our other daughter Kara, and I spent a couple hours cleaning all of her albums, putting them in Mofi sleeves, and organizing them. We listened to several and some sounded fantastic... others, well, not the best! But, it's been a lot of fun.

That said, since she's really stuck with it, I was thinking about maybe getting her a nicer turntable at some point. Not looking hard, but I'll peek on the local Craigslist here and there for some vintage tables. Wondering what the thoughts on the Onkyo Integra CP-1057F are. I found one local for $125. The guy is the original owner, bought new in Germany when he was stationed there in the Army. He hadn't used it in quite a while, but when I asked for pictures, he set it up and said it's in excellent condition (the pics support that statement) - works and sounds great. He said he changed the cartridge right before he stopped using it (I didn't ask what cartridge is on it - I wouldn't know enough about them!).

Is that a decent deal? Would that be a nice 'next step' from the Audio Technica LP-60 she has now?

And, I can't pass up another opportunity to shout out another big thanks to Josh (@Nightfall), Mark(@mhardy6647), Darryl(@voltz) , and Don (@dromunds) for helping her get a big jump on her collection! There was some awesome stuff in the 'gifts' you guys sent her, and some of the LPs were pristine - a testament to how well you all take care of your collection.
  • dromunds
    Is that a fully automatic table, (drops the needle on the groove and picks it up when played?) That is not a lot to pay for a table that is from the original owner and functions and sounds great, if in fact it does. If you find out what cartridge is on it let us know, that may be worth half the price depending on what it is and it sounds like the stylus is new which is a bonus if its a decent cartridge. Dust cover minty and stays up? No personal experience with that particular Onkyo model but you can google it and look at places like Amazon also for user reviews. I would check it out and make sure everything functions correctly. You can sell that AT to defray costs or keep it as back-up. Some of the vintage tables will require service such as lubing etc so keep that in mind but many just keep on ticking
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I definitely advocate buying local if at all possible -- packing a turntable for shipping by the trained orangutans working for shipping companies in the 21st Century is not a trivial task. OK, it's straightforward, but it's not something that many "sellers" seem to wish to bother with. :(

Many nice tts end up as rubble due to poor packing and the "eBAY economy".

Perhaps a moment of silence, punctuated with some rumble and surface scratches, for those fallen record players would be appropriate at this time :)

https://youtu.be/eipTCsDkuf8
  • scubalab
    Don - I believe (based on the little I've read about it) that it is a direct drive, fully automatic TT. Condition looks very good. I'll post back if I find out what cartridge is on it (you can sort of see writing on the cartridge if you zoom in on the second picture). Here's a couple pictures the seller sent me...

1lhff03y69lp.jpg

s0khiyk0cbyo.jpg

vn7afuln7vth.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2017
    I mean, realistically -- how bad could it be?! :)

EDIT: per the post below, yes, I reckon it's a perfectly decent tt. The price certainly seems right! It would be very interesting to know what cartridge is on it, too.
  • dromunds
    Looks to be top of the line Onkyo from late 80's, direct drive quartz lock. That's a good price if in good condition. Interested to know what cartridge on there, but if its new and sounds good that's gravy for the colonel, so to speak.
  • scubalab
    I asked the seller about the cartridge. I don't know is someone with more experience could identify it from the picture...

b03di3cw66yi.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    ooh, it's like a picture of Nessie! ;)

I am sure there are folks who could ID it unambiguously from that photo.
    Sadly, I am not one of them.
  • dromunds
    Looks like an ADC but not familiar with them. My guess is that its a rather inexpensive cartridge but if its new and sounds good so that is good. Somewhere down the line you could upgrade but you'd have to ask yourself to what end? In any event, I would think that turntable if as represented is a good deal. Plus, like mhardy said, if you try to ship a turntable you'll risk all manner of consequences plus the shipping these days will likely be half of what you're paying local here. I had a turntable shipped in a box filled with styrofoam peanuts, that's it. Didn't even lock the tonearm down or take off the platter. Its amazing.
  • mhardy6647
    'tis the platter that usually does the bulk of the damage when tts are improperly packed 'n' shipped IMO/IME.
  • scubalab
    Grrrr... Once again got screwed by a seller on Craigslist. I had been talking with the seller of the turntable for several days. Offered to meet him yesterday (all day) or Thursday afternoon. He said Thursday was better - I say cool, I'll call when I'm on my way. I just got a very impersonal text from him telling me he just sold it today. WTF? He never mentioned anyone else even interested in it. Sometimes I just can't figure people out.

Oh well. There will be others, and for now, what she has is fine.
  • scubalab
    Another local deal I'm considering... Anyone have any experience with a Kenwood KD-5070? Direct drive, fully automatic, one of their "rock" series (the table looks to be made of a manufactured quartz or something) tables. Has an AT cartridge (seller didn't mention which one) and stylus.

What would be a good price on something like this? Would this be better than the Audio Technica LP-60 she has now?

nhb5umtvyvkr.jpg
  • dromunds
    If I remember correctly, those were considered good tables, and I think they had a removable head shell which makes changing or alternating cartridges easier. They go for pretty good dough around here when they come up but depends on what cartridge is on there of course, which begs the question, which cartridge does this one come with? Make sure the speed stays constant. When was it last serviced?
  • mhardy6647
    They are indeed good & have a certain cachet and, consequently, do indeed tend to be pricey. I'd expect $500 for one in decent condition (and maybe even more).

• scubalab
    Don/Mark,

Thanks for the input. I'm looking at this table shortly. I'll post back again after I see it. Anything else I should look for when checking it out?

Thanks - Al
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited May 2017
    Just about any fully auto vintage Japanese direct drive will be better than the LP-60. Better sounding and more importantly better for the records.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Indeed, envy worthy - how cool is it that a kid has a dedicated phono preamp :)

Lava lamp is a must for a good chillout space.
    Mine's a cool blue B)
    I disabled signatures.
  • scubalab
    Thanks Scott! That lava lamp was my wife's... from high school back in (as my kids say) the "NINETEENS" - circa 1980-something.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    scubalab wrote: »
    I have to say, I'm a bit jealous of her lite setup!

Me too! NICE table! :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    We have yet to see the Cambridge Audio PRE-AMP he bought to go with it...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • scubalab
    We have yet to see the Cambridge Audio PRE-AMP he bought to go with it...

Look closely Dan... last post, page 5... B)

Victor - that should have said "little setup"... there's nothing 'lite' about it! My post from yesterday was strewn with typos (dang iPhone autocorrect)...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Lol... LOVE THAT LP! Hey Now is a GREAT GREAT GREAT SONG!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    scubalab wrote: »
    Victor - that should have said "little setup"... there's nothing 'lite' about it! My post from yesterday was strewn with typos (dang iPhone autocorrect)...
    No worries whatsoever. I knew what you meant :smile:

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10