My Daughter Said She Wants a Turntable for Christmas...

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    I still have a package coming. Work, life and holidays has made it tough to get it off. Really wanted to get it to you before Christmas. Maybe a new years gift...sorry
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    No guilt trips bein' laid here :) This is a happy season!
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Ken - No worries and no hurry at all. I'm extremely grateful for all the help and advice. This time of year is crazy hectic - I completely understand. No apologies necessary!! She's going to have quite a few from Mark and Darryl. It'll take her weeks to give them all a listen.

BTW, there are two wrapped goodie boxes (from Polkies) under the tree for her to open after she gets her other gifts...

46x8cntf7u98.jpg
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    scubalab wrote: »
    Ken - No worries and no hurry at all. I'm extremely grateful for all the help and advice. This time of year is crazy hectic - I completely understand. No apologies necessary!! She's going to have quite a few from Mark and Darryl. It'll take her weeks to give them all a listen.

BTW, there are two wrapped goodie boxes (from Polkies) under the tree for her to open after she gets her other gifts...

46x8cntf7u98.jpg

That's the good stuff right there.

Happy Holidays to you all :smile:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited December 2016
    I had a lot of fun picking some vinyl for Her and it puts a big smile of my face being able to add to her music experience!

When I was at LSAF in Dallas, Jim Harrell (hope I spelled it right) was next door to me and I asked if he like to join us for dinner? he was like no because he had a young couple in his room and he was playing some vinyl for them and he was having a blast, he was on cloud 9 introducing them to Vinyl and his speakers and it created a lasting memory for me seeing the Smile on Jim's face B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • scubalab
    This whole endeavor has been great. I really hope Katie gets into it as it'll be something we can share. She's growing up fast and I'm loving that she wants to do something together. You all have been great help through this. Hopefully I can return the favor someday!
  • halo
    Very merry Christmas indeed! A really great outcome overall and a wonderful story too!
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    Fantastic
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Now that's what I call a very Merry Christmas!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    What a great little Christmas scene there, Al!
    As Joey said, fantastic! is the word that comes to mind for me as well.

So cool of @voltz and @mhardy6647 to contribute media - there is nothing worse than having a new turntable and only one or two records. (well, there's lots worse, but you know what I mean B) )
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2016
    scubalab wrote: »
    Oh, and daughter #2 got a ukulele and a hoverboard. Not so sure about that darn hoverboard...

Merry Christmas everyone.

-Al

umm-- ukuleles and hoverboards do not mix. Just sayin'.

;)

Merry Christmas to all y'all, too!

PS Great tt vibration isolation strategy, too! :)

PPS In all (well -- some --) seriouness, glad she's (y'all're) having fun! That's a beautiful, bright room .
  • mhardy6647
    We've got a new holiday licorice pizza to spin here some time today, too.

81T5ZTNOGdL._SL1400_.jpg
  • halo
    msg wrote: »
    there is nothing worse than having a new turntable and only one or two records. (well, there's lots worse, but you know what I mean B) )
    lol. That's the situation I'm in right now. Got a tt for xmas and it came with one record. First tt I've had in many many years. My parents cleaned out their basement and my vinyl collection was sent to goodwill. The Irony.

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Very cool! My dad turned me into a little hi-fi nut a lot younger than she is! Hope for her sake that she doesn't get too hooked, it only gets more expensive from here ;)
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Looks like fun times ahead.
    Getting the young'uns exposed to a better resolution of music is a plus.

Enjoy
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • cvc
    cvc Posts: 65
    So what does she think of the sound quality?.. Can she tell a difference, better or worse?..

Very cool that she was instantly playing records and enjoying the whole new way of listening to tunes.. Happy New Year!
  • scubalab
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Al, awesome stuff! I see a very familiar turntable on the loveseat. She's gonna love it, bet it took no time to get up and running too. Wish my LP collection was that big but nope...but that's sure to grow. Congrats and hopefully this turns into a Dad/daughter activity for a long time to come. Kids need to exposed to the finer things. :)

Thanks for the recommendation on the AT Ken! I agree... I'm hoping this isn't just a passing phase. She really likes it so far, and hoping once I get her set up in her bedroom with a little rig, that it continues to be something she enjoys and remains a shared interest between us. As much as I swore I'd never get back into vinyl, I'm enjoying rediscovering the ritual of playing LPs. Brings back great memories of my childhood. Even brought some albums back from my parents' attic today. The smell of the old jackets and the vinyl triggered fond memories as well.
  • scubalab
    cvc wrote: »
    So what does she think of the sound quality?.. Can she tell a difference, better or worse?..

Very cool that she was instantly playing records and enjoying the whole new way of listening to tunes.. Happy New Year!

We haven't really done much 'critical listening'... it was more put an album on and have background music Christmas morning. I'll have to ask her what she thinks once we have her set up more permanently. I'm excited to see what her impressions are. The little listening she's done, I've asked her if she likes the sound, and she of course said yes!

Happy New Year to you as well!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Glad to hear you made her Xmas a special one along with the contributing Polkies great lot of people around here Happy Holidays.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    You know -- I never thought to send along a coupla Christmas albums!

derp.
  • scubalab
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    You know -- I never thought to send along a coupla Christmas albums!

derp.

D'Oh!

No worries... we were 'Christmas music-ed' out by Christmas morning!!
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    Watch that hoverboard, that's a dangerous machine. Seen many a broken bone
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    halo wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    there is nothing worse than having a new turntable and only one or two records. (well, there's lots worse, but you know what I mean B) )
    lol. That's the situation I'm in right now. Got a tt for xmas and it came with one record. First tt I've had in many many years. My parents cleaned out their basement and my vinyl collection was sent to goodwill. The Irony.
    I feel your pain. More than 1000 records went the very same way. Worse than the loss of those pieces of wax were the memories that went with them.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    My turntable and records went to my girlfriend I was living with when I went to college. I sometimes miss her, but never the vinyl. LOL.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    BlueFox: reminds me of that Sam Kinison routine: "I want my f'ing records back!" Lol.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Joey_V wrote: »

And put it someplace that if it decides to catch fire it won't burn down your house!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • halo
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »

And put it someplace that if it decides to catch fire it won't burn down your house!

Where might that be? The bathtub? :p