time for more Joule Electra

1235»

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited March 2017
    I've ran a 5751 originally on the LA100 and switched to a Valvo 12ax7 and enjoyed the dimensional quality it brought, but, it seems that at higher listening levels it boosts a bit of distortion. Not a lot, but just a touch at times...almost like over saturation. Switched it back out for a Raytheon 5751 today and will give it a listen tomorrow.
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 715
    @tonyb @kharp1

Tony, the 5751tubes that are currently in the Joule are not good. 2 tested ? and 1 tested bad. I was hearing strange noises so I pulled the tubes and tested them. I read that Jud chose the 5751 because of the reasons you stated above, and trust me I don't want to change that sound because it sounds phenomenal. The ONLY reason why I want to install some 12AX7's (Telefunkens, Mullards, etc) is because I don't have any 5751's. I am currently seeking to get some Raytheon 5751 Windmills and some Sylvania black plate 3 micas - preferably Gold Brand but not necessary. In the mean time I wanted to listen to some vinyl tunes if possible, if not, I can wait..... I don't want to mess anything up that's for sure...

I just put in some Sylvania Gold Brand 6350's and WOW what a sweet upgrade to the 6350's that were in there (also Sylvania)...

I also, juts got in the mail today, several Sylvania Black plates 6350 to try but I am so happy with the Sylvania GB that I probably will only keep the others as spares...

Juan
  • JuanR
    @kharp1

You have any extra Raytheon or Sylvania 5751's - I'll trade you for some 12AX7's or 12AU7s, 12AT7's, 6DJ8's

I have plenty to choose from...
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    I just ordered some tung-sol 5751's today to try out.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    The Tung Sol is one of my favorites, be anxious to hear what you think.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • JuanR
    @heiney9

Any comparison between the Raytheon Windmills, Sylvania Gold Brand or 3 mica black plate, and Tung-Sols you can give us?

THANKS!
  • WagnerRC
    heiney9 wrote: »
    The Tung Sol is one of my favorites, be anxious to hear what you think.

The tung-sol swap in the slp-05 was very noticeable over the stock tubes. I look forward to this swap too.

• heiney9
    edited March 2017
    JuanR wrote: »
    @heiney9

Any comparison between the Raytheon Windmills, Sylvania Gold Brand or 3 mica black plate, and Tung-Sols you can give us?

THANKS!

Not recently. Maybe this weekend I'll do a little shoot out. They are all excellent tubes and I change them up when I want something a little different. IMO, they should all be in your stash.

The Tung Sol's were the most surprising simply because they are off the radar and the others are hyped a lot.

The real sleeper on the cheaper end is the 50's GE triple mica, bp 5751's. 90% of the others and about 1/2 the price. Really solid tube if one is on a budget. The earliest ones have the silver clips on the plate tabs.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Juan,

I have some Sylvania 5751's blue tips that I have yet to plug in. I like the Raytheon, RCA, Sylvania but NOS is going to get harder and harder to find so I suggest when you find some, snatch them up.

Brent Jesse, a purveyor of NOS tubes is only 2 towns over from me. He gave me a good deal on the Sylvania 5751's for 100 bucks. You can email him and tell him what your looking for, or thumb through his online inventory. He has probably the best selection of NOS, with a guarantee and excellent packaging if you need it shipped.

That distortion your hearing with the 12ax7's is exactly what I was talking about with the added gain of the tube as a negative effect. I know Judd like the 5751's in the mu-follower stage, and the 6350's in the other. I'm not sure how your phono is incorporated as he had a few different designs and implementations.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    The Valvo Hamburg tube is the best, period. I'd certainly experiment more before writing it off and all ECC83's for that matter

As always YMMV

H9

• heiney9
    JuanR wrote: »
    @heiney9

THANKS!

All 3 are incredibly focused and controlled and quiet, which is a hallmark of the 5751.

The Raytheon is very dynamic and probably the most linear of the 3, bass it extremely taught. It's a very fast and immediate tube, but not harsh or shrill or in your face. Smallest soundstage of the 3, but still an impressive soundstage. This tube can become addictive. The least "tubey" of the 3.

Tung Sol is similar in dynamics, but this is the most transparent and liquid of the 3. Look up the word transparency in the dictionary and there should be a picture of the TS 5751. Detail is the hallmark of this tube, detail in spades, but not harsh, aggressive or shrill. Female vocals are very impressive. I have yet to own an original Tung Sol I don't like, they are all superb!

Sylvania bp- lots has been written it has become the benchmark 5751 tube. The strength is the lush midrange, the lushest of the 3, and perhaps edges out the TS in the soundstage department. The highs are very sweet this is a very balanced tube. The bass is excellent perhaps not quite as good as the other 2, but still excellent. Some prefer the bp's some prefer the gp's. They are similar with the bp being a tad bit smoother, mellower. Bp's have a bit bigger soundstage.

Like I said you won't go wrong with either, but do yourself a favor and audition all 3 to see which works best.

IMO, the Tung Sol edges out the other 2 because it's so transparent, liquid and 3D. It has finesse and balls at the same time while never being harsh. One of the best tubes around.......period!

Hope this helps.

H9
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    "The real sleeper on the cheaper end is the 50's GE triple mica, bp 5751's"

Juan wasn't the 5751's ge in there?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • heiney9
    edited March 2017
    In my rig the GE bp is hard to tell apart from the Sylvania bp's. The early 50's 3M GE (JG-slant sq getter) with the silver clips on the plate tabs are my reference of the tube in question. Very similar contruction

H9
  • JuanR
    GE JG 5751 grey plates but not triple mica is whats in there. I have not put in the 12AX7s - im tempted - but have not done it....
  • JuanR
    edited March 2017
    @heiney9

Thanks for that nice write up - I will eventually get several kinds of 5751's to try. I will probably target the Sylvania BP 3M first but will keep an eye out for the others as well.

The Joule is definetly a sweet sounding pre-amp. I can't stop listening to it....
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Agreed! It digs deep and has lots of texture and soul to it!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • JuanR
    I just picked these up for $75 bones..
  • heiney9
    Nice!
  • tonyb
    Where did Bob disappear to ? Hasn't posted in awhile, probably still trying to find his left nut after listening to some OTL goodness.

C'mon Bob, I want to hear more about all the great stuff you put together.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WagnerRC
    Hey Tony. I am still here lurking in the shadows. I have taken a break since the weather is better here. I am still flip flopping back and forth between amps and pre.

I will be doing a tube swap shortly for the vzn 80. I love the tubes and sounds and it does require more attention and such.

The Pass is no nonsense.

I love both and will report back soon.

Thanks
  • tonyb
    Just wanted to make sure your still around pal. We all get busy and stuff. I just enjoy drooling is all. Becomes a favorite past time as ya age you know. ;):)

Post when ya can....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's