time for more Joule Electra

Options

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    The peak voltage is 88 and can be reduced down for a more laid back sound. The bias can go back some too, and The feedback is way adjustable. break out the marshmello'a2vb8dga7t42.jpg
    s
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    Yep2 wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    Careful man. Are they actually intended for variation? Normally the tubes are optimized to have those settings fixed. My 845 SET amps do have adjustable setting that aren't for biasing the tubes, but I'm not sure about yours.

Blow that first picture up.
    Recessed panel with knobs.

I can do that tomorrow. That is the eight bias adjust buttons and pots.
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Options
    Bob , did you get a manual with the amp?
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    The peak voltage is 88 and can be reduced down for a more laid back sound. The bias can go back some too, and The feedback is way adjustable. break out the marshmello'a2vb8dga7t42.jpg
    s

Reminds me of jack o lanterns in the distance...
    Very nice
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    dhart86 wrote: »
    Bob , did you get a manual with the amp?

Yes I did complete and more.

• WagnerRC
    Options
    I can try to do a PDF recreate of the manual this weekend , time allowing. Thanks for the warming Skip. I wa very Leary making adjustments at first. Jud did a hell of a job spelling out the do!s and Don'ts . I would to have loved to met Jud andMarianne in person. He is quite a guy as far as I can tell.
  • WagnerRC
    edited February 2017
    Options
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Careful man. Are they actually intended for variation? Normally the tubes are optimized to have those settings fixed. My 845 SET amps do have adjustable setting that aren't for biasing the tubes, but I'm not sure about yours.

I would second that thought. Normally tubes have a small range to work in when adjusting bias. Anything too much shortens their life and given the amount of tubes you have in there, might get costly.

I might also suggest if you plan on keeping that beauty, a small investment in a tube tester should be your next purchase.

Judd was also very specific in his manuals, a trait not often seen with today's electronics, as Bob pointed out. It helps immensely, so you don't make costly mistakes. It only reaffirms that the man put as much detail and attention into building his products as he did in his manuals.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    What's Joule Addiction? All the time, I am only thinking we have Joey Addiction and his new audio ****; etc. :smiley:
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    I would never exceed the voltage limits or the peak bias settings. You can reduce to change the sounds produced.
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    Yep2 wrote: »

Blow that first picture up.
    Recessed panel with knobs.

6dnito5ylyse.jpg
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    His amp goes to 11 !!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • tonyb
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    His amp goes to 11 !!

LOL...INDEED, top end....unlimited.

Those are a working man's hands Bob.....or a collector for the mob. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Bob, I hope your listening on a Sunday to that amp. Put up some impressions/comparisons will ya....I've been changing shorts every day waiting for your thoughts. F1NUT even combed his hair waiting, Russ shaved, and Brock already has a lineup of tubes for you to roll.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    Pass amp is back on line. I believe I had a power tube fail. I was getting some static/hum out of the right speaker. Then the volume shot up and the pre amp had no control and I had to pull the plug. I don't know how old these tubes are but I have some tubes coming next week anyway. This was an odd failure as I had no control and no fuses blew. The voltage was was less than 86 and I started to check the bias when it all went wrong. No damage and the Pass is working well.

bru4vlly6mqn.jpg
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Ouch. I'm glad you didn't get any speaker damage.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    I guess you can't test the power tubes with a multimeter. I will have try something else. Tony you mentioned a tube tester should be my next investment. Do you have a recommendation? I would like the option of testing the array of tubes being used. Thanks
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Please put me in line.
    Thanks,
    Craig
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • WagnerRC
    Options
  • tonyb
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Most of them do a good job Bob, the one Ron mentioned should suffice. I brought it up because of the amount of tubes you have in all the gear. It's a worthy investment especially with tube amps to save you from those situations you just experienced. Plus when or if you buy used tubes from someone, you can test them pronto and have that opportunity to send them back if they don't cut the mustard. Good tubes aren't cheap, you want that option instead of waiting 3 months before you try them out and can't return anything.

The old "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" thing. :)

Still no thoughts ??
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, I think the fuses in most tube amps are designed to blow on a dead short only.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Sounds good Bob, only one song though sounded good ? lol Tell us how the new baby compares to the old. Strengths, weaknesses...
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I will get my hands on an xa30.5 one day. Or something bigger!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I will get my hands on an xa30.5 one day. Or something bigger!

Yeah right....last time I said I wanted something bigger I got married. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WagnerRC
    Options
    I am very happy with both amps and both pre's. The tubes have greater detail and a wider stage. The pass amp is easy to use and sounds fantastic. I really have not spent enough time listening to both combination.

I really like tubes for detail and I like the ss for turn it on and go.

When I get this joule vzn back up and running I can give a better detail. I am just finding out what tubes were sent with this amp

The 6dj8's are amperex ecc88's The 5751 are GE and the 6350's are Calvertron??

I am not sure what tube(s) caused the issue yesterday.

The 6c33 looks like a tough tube to test.

More to follow.
  • george daniel
    Options
    Yep,, not the easiest tube to test. Did you happen to notice if any of the tubes red plated?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)