Another LSiM 705 Review

DarqueKnight
DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
edited April 2017 in Speakers
Introduction

011%20LSiM%20Front%20Stage-Sub-s_zpscsghcbc2.jpg
Figure 1. Such Good Sound! The LSiM 705s were outstanding performers in both music and movies.

I discussed the 705's performance with movies in another thread. The electronics and cables used for this two channel music evaluation were:

Bryston BDP-1 digital player with external Samsung EVO 840 500 GB solid state drive.
Sony TA-E9000ES preamp/processor with integrated DAC, ver. 2.01
Adcom GFA-5500 power amp (200 wpc 8 ohms)
PS Audio P10 AC regenerator for all electronics
PS Audio AC-5 power cord for AC regenerator
PS Audio Statement SC power cords for all electronics
Signal Cable BNC-RCA digital coaxial cable, 6 feet
Monster Cable Z2 Reference speaker cables, 15 feet/side
Monster Cable Z100i interconnects, 1 meter
Isoclean audio grade fuses for power amp
HiFi Tuning Supreme audio grade fuse for AC regenerator
HiFi Tuning Silver Star audio grade for digital player
PS Audio Soloist SE in-wall passive power conditioner
Dedicated 20 amp AC circuit

Setup

The inner edges of the 705s are 7'-3" apart and each speaker outer rear corner is 12" from the rear wall. Neither speaker is close to a corner. The listener's ears are 12' from the front plane of the speakers. A center line through each speaker forms an isosceles triangle with a base length of 8.5' and sides of 14.5'. The center lines of the speakers cross at a point 1'-10' behind the listener's ears. The center line of each speaker forms an angle of 75 degrees with the triangle base. The ceiling is 12' and there are no room treatments.

Tweaks

LSiM705%20Jumpers-s_zpsniqx7y2w.jpg
Figure 2. The only change/upgrade was replacing the stock jumpers with homemade jumpers made from AudioQuest Go-4 speaker wire and AudioQuest BFA gold plated bananas. The stock jumpers are very good, but the AQ jumpers provided a small improvement in clarity and detail.

Packaging

The 705s arrived via UPS with no cosmetic damage, therefore the packaging, although it was a "suicide trip", did its job. In fairness, it must be noted that the packaging is designed for pallet shipping with a freight carrier and for truck delivery from store to customer. It is not designed for the rough and tumble world of package acrobatics that large, heavy items are subjected to by the likes of UPS. I could probably reuse the packaging, if it is carefully glued and taped back together.

The 705's double-wall corrugated shipping cartons were very thin and very soft. The form-fitting Styrofoam blocks were soft and spongy. In contrast, the LSi15's double-wall corrugated shipping cartons were very thick and very stiff. The LSi15's Styrofoam blocks were very thick, rigid and brick-like.

The magnetically attached grilles each had a bow that had to be gently straightened out. I did not experience any issues with the grilles falling off, even while playing bass heavy music.

004%20705%20Busted%20Styro%20End-s_zpsvsvqxgui.jpg
Figure 3. The designated right speaker after unboxing.

006%20705%20Busted%20Styro%20Right-s_zpszkk2mni4.jpg
Figure 4. The designated right speaker's Styrofoam packing.

005%20705%20Busted%20Styro%20Left-s_zpshbgsluto.jpg
Figure 5. The designated left speaker's Styrofoam packing.

Midwoofer Replacement

The 5-1/4" RD5569 midwoofer of the right speaker made a buzzing noise when low bass notes were played. Swapping these drivers between the left and right speakers confirmed that it was the right driver. I sent an email to Polk's customer service requesting a replacement driver. After no response for two days, I called CS on Thursday and was told that they hadn't gotten back to me because they were swamped. The agent entered my order and the replacement driver shipped the following Tuesday. I received it Friday of that week.

RD5569%20Mid-Woofer%20Test%20Buzz-s2_zpsovlr95ej.jpg
Figure 6. Phase and frequency response of defective right RD5569 driver, measured with Dayton Audio Test System Version 2.

RD5569%20Mid-Woofer%20Test%20Good-s2_zpsibx1x32m.jpg
Figure 7. Phase and frequency response of left RD5569 driver, measured with Dayton Audio Test System Version 2.

RD5569%20Mid-Woofer%20Test%20Replacement-s2_zpsvlxsidvw.jpg
Figure 8. Phase and frequency response of replacement right RD5569 driver, measured with Dayton Audio Test System Version 2.

Good Looks And Convenience

I was impressed with the fit, finish, and styling of the LSiM series when I saw them during Polkfest 2012. Upon inspecting mine, I could not find any cosmetic flaw at all, not even under the speakers. The fit and finish was what I was accustomed to seeing on much more expensive speakers. Polk is "American HiFi", but I don't think they could have offered this level of cabinetry at this price point with domestic production.

LSiM705%20TopFront02-s_zps2oiuqk5q.jpg
Figure 9. The dark, rich, and mysterious finish of "Midnight Mahogany".

LSiM705%20MWBezel-s_zps9szt7s4r.jpg
Figure 10. All drivers have a rubber bezel that conceals the screws and, I assume, provides some anti-diffraction benefit.

LSiM705%20MWBezel%20Off-s_zpsyp4dgqhx.jpg
Figure 11. Rubber bezel removed from 5-1/4 mid woofer.

LSiM705%20AdjSpike-s_zpsk0895pmy.jpg
Figure 11. Spikes adjustable from the top are a fantastic convenience feature.
Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    Dude I so wanted years ago to demo the damn series. I got to demo the Bookshelf models and I was pretty impressed with the overall performance.
    I didn't think they where as good as my Def Tech Mythos ST's but thats such an un fair compare. I wanted to get my hands on some floor standers as I really liked the design. I was in the program when they where being designed years ago so I felt some kind of way even before they came out.
    I wish someone had a Demo program for them but with the likes of that packaging you got there I would not feel safe they would make it around a Polk demo without being destroyed.
    Polk needs to use higher quality packaging materials as that crap can result in shipping damages.

Either way I so just want to sit down and listen to pair.

Love your review here man as always you do a great job. Thanks man.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    edited April 2017
    O and by the way Go 4 is awesome speaker cable, love it. I use Rocket 44 for my entire rig including the surround speakers. Love that wire as well.
    I went die hard audioquest years ago and don't use anything else anymore. I find their products to be the very best in the business at any price bar none.
    Dan
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    What are you using as a crossover point to your sub? I still have a ways to go to break mine in but currently crossing them over at 60 Hz to my SVS 20-39 PC. I didn't care for the bass response using pure direct but that may improve with additional hours on them.
  • DarqueKnight
    80 Hz for movies. I do not use the sub for two channel music.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Good review Ray, makes me want a pair of 705
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    Just curious if you still have these and your experiences. Wondering if you left them without any sort of room correction or used the Audyssey route? Thanks!
  • DarqueKnight
    pawelmwo wrote: »
    Just curious if you still have these and your experiences. Wondering if you left them without any sort of room correction or used the Audyssey route? Thanks!

Yes I still have the 705s...in storage. I upgraded to the 707s. I used the Yamaha CX-A5100 pre/pro's room correction program.

I compared my 707s to the 705s here:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182984/how-my-lsim-707s-sound-to-me-a-review
  • mantis
    Yeah he's not giving up the 705's anytime soon. I already hinted at that move.
    Dan
  • pawelmwo
    pawelmwo Posts: 137
    pawelmwo wrote: »

Yes I still have the 705s...in storage. I upgraded to the 707s. I used the Yamaha CX-A5100 pre/pro's room correction program.

I compared my 707s to the 705s here:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/182984/how-my-lsim-707s-sound-to-me-a-review

Thank you the 705 have been my entry into hi-fi. My room and my wife would not accommodate anything larger :) But it's good to know the option is there someday.
  • limo
    limo Posts: 3
    am trying to get
    1.LSiM 705
    Mid-Woofer
    Part number: RD5569

2.LSiM 703
    Woofer
    Part number: RD6578
    to replace with my torn speakers .if there can i pay and be shipped to dubai by address
  • slk55amg
    slk55amg Posts: 305
    As my hearing ability is slowing being lost. I have my center (LSIC) +8db. I still have the 15,s and am happy with them. Spending large amounts of money to go up the food chain may be a " fool's quest".
    Emotiva XPA5, Sony ES 5300,: Lsi 15,s LSIC, Monitor 70,s, ( side surrounds) FXI 3,s, (rear surrounds)Micropro4000, Velodyne DEQ 10, Sony 55inchXBR 930D Sony BDP 790 Bedroom rig SonyES 3200 RTIA1,s CSIA4 FXI3,s polk PSW 10 SONY 34inch XBR960:cool:SONY BDP550