Polk Audio SDA SRS - Clarity : Duelund : Jantzen : DH Labs

VR3
VR3 Posts: 27,964
edited February 2017 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
This is my 2nd SRS build using these components, I modified the chassis particularly for this build. This is the first time I also built a DH Labs Q-10 SDA cable :)

Clarity Cap MR through out except in the larger values where ESA was used

Duelund resistors

Jantzen inductors + C-Coil

Supra Internal Wiring, WBT binding post

DH Labs SDA cable

(Polk logo was used at the request of the owner and is not offered under normal circumstances, will be blurred out on my website when posted)

kbed1qexqd47.jpg

- Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.

Comments

• VR3
    edited February 2017
    0f6kuxteg975.jpg
    Compared to standard SDA SRS
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    Fantastic! I love Jantzen components and DH Labs wiring; nice choice.
  • VR3
    Thank you! I am a huge DH Labs fan, but the Q-10 at like $25 or something a foot is up there, I used it for my super towers though and I would put the sound quality with MIT....

I don't go into pricing on the forum but feel free to shoot me a PM or check out my website :)
  • VR3
    The first build is "The Abbott" and the second one is "Monastery Standard"
  • VR3
    edited February 2017
    Most definitely! The Abbott builds are my favorites to do. I actually have another SDA SRS Abbott that will be coming out in the next few months, same price point but will use the new CMR and CSA capacitors and the Duelund Cast resistor set... should be a slight notch over the current Abbott... should have pictures in May or so

I also do deposits/payment plans :)
  • VR3
    So in regards to the standard and the Abbott...

I always describe all modifications as "removing a blanket" from the speakers. The standard fall into that description, everything kind of opens up, detail is brought out, bass is extended, sound stage is wider, etc etc etc...

The best way I can describe the Abbott from the Standard build is that the speakers start to disappear and what you are left with is a 3-D presentation of what is in the recording. You start to hear the shape, resonance, texture of a guitar, who is holding it, where they are in the room, depth to their scale compared to other instruments/musicians in the mix.

From a "detail and transparency" standard, I would say a standard build is 85-90% of that. From the stand point of transporting you to the mix versus listening to a set of speakers, the Clarity Cap MR has no competition. It is one of the best experiences I have ever heard, especially after break in.

Phil @Moose68Bash actually wrote up a review going from one of my standard builds to an Abbott build. He really captured the difference with his words.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/167764/review-vr3-mods-s-monastery-level-the-abbot-srs1-2-to-srs12tl-conversion#latest

The SRS differs from the 1.2 and 1.2TL all the way down to the enclosure, I wouldn't particularly recommend trying to shoe horn a 1.2TL into a SDA SRS shell personally due to the driver, enclosure, etc differences.

I do have a set of 1.2TL here that I am offering 20% off an Abbott build, plus the modifications themselves are less than the SRS Abbott build....

So as an example, you can take the 1.2TL, modifications installed for only around a $1,000 more than the SRS modification... just an example.

On the flip side, I cant determine if with hearing loss one is worth more than the other...

I hope that helps... :)
  • VR3
    I just wrote up a really nice response.... and it didn't load up here for some reason...

I don't really like "over-selling" things - Phil @Moose68Bash actually did a standard build like the Monastery standard to the Abbott on a pair of 1.2TL... his write up is here -

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/167764/review-vr3-mods-s-monastery-level-the-abbot-srs1-2-to-srs12tl-conversion#latest

For me personally, I feel detail and transparency wise, the standard build is 85-90% of the Abbott... on the flip side I feel from the stand point of making the speakers disappear, texture, 3-d reproduction, the Abbott components take it to a whole new level. It is one of the only experiences where I would call it "being there" - you can sense the size, shape of a guitar, who is holding it and where, the texture of everything. It is hard to describe. I did a similar modification to my own personal speakers back in 2011 and that is why I am still doing it here today.

I cant decide though if the differences are worth it for you unfortunately, I take a lot of pride in my work and I think you would enjoy it. I do appreciate your service and sacrifice.

On the flip side, I do have a set of 1.2TL, that when purchased with modifications, the modifications are 20% off. You could literally have a set of Abbott modified 1.2TL (installed) for a little over a $1,000 more than the SRS Abbot build by itself... :)

I hope this helps (hopefully this response posts)
  • VR3
    On that response I missed one of your questions, I apologize.

The SDA SRS is different down to the enclosure, I wouldn't personally recommend updating the SRS to the 1.2TL
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    VR3 wrote: »
    This is my 2nd SRS build using these components, I modified the chassis particularly for this build. This is the first time I also built a DH Labs Q-10 SDA cable :)

Clarity Cap MR through out except in the larger values where ESA was used

Duelund resistors

Jantzen inductors + C-Coil

Supra Internal Wiring, WBT binding post

DH Labs SDA cable

(Polk logo was used at the request of the owner and is not offered under normal circumstances, will be blurred out on my website when posted)

kbed1qexqd47.jpg
    Thanks Trey. These Arrived today here downunder ,they were professionally packed to absorb any sort of high velocity impact which we all know is truly needed in this day and age
  • VR3
    Glad they arrived safe! 70 pounds in crossovers is no joke hehe
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    ptrooper is going to be very happy man. B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
  • VR3
    Those turned out great!
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I like it!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    I like'em too.
    Not trying to be a buzz kill,but since they're going inside the cabinets and can't be seen from the outside. Why powder coat them?
  • F1nut
    So they do not develop surface rust.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    It's really not a big deal. The surface rust on a set of rings I installed years ago is next to nothing. Now, if you lived in a hot, humid climate without air conditioning or at the beach I'm sure it could become an issue after many years.

President of Club Polk

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited March 2017
    Its mind over matter.......if you don't Mind ,it don't Matter .....today i hooked it all up and now its burning away ..... :pkibyj93pg34q.jpg
    a2672ooab87z.jpg
    9of0oh427ecy.jpg
    Post edited by ptrooper on
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Nice!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Magnifico!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• VR3
    Thanks guys! Those plates look great on the speakers!
  • VR3
    Quadrax terminal wirex3m0z6dhpovl.jpg
  • VR3
    Clarity Cap CMR and CSA - will look slick on the white chassis!

e6kv1esrv0t1.jpg
  • VR3
    ilgb9rnrp9bx.jpg
  • VR3
    lol, thank you :)

I had a customer a few years had me do a build with a window and a blue led light, that was a lot of fun... :p
  • VR3
    rq7l6ehafa6y.jpg
  • VR3
    Coming right along