Official SVS owners thread!

Comments

• gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    I can only imagine how big the pb16 is! Every time I look at the pb13's, I am like are wow, those are large subs! Don't even wanna think what the room would look with pb16's!
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Congrats on the new sub! Post some more reviews once you've gotten it dialed in.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I'm sitting here with 2 pb ultras blasting a movie. I can't imagine more, they are already huge!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• VoodooGTS
    VoodooGTS Posts: 62
    Hey guys, do you guys think the SB-1000 out performs the PSW505 from Polk? Worth the extra $300?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    VoodooGTS wrote: »
    Hey guys, do you guys think the SB-1000 out performs the PSW505 from Polk? Worth the extra $300?

Yes and YES
  • VoodooGTS
    VoodooGTS Posts: 62
    SVS here I come! lol
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    VoodooGTS wrote: »
    SVS here I come! lol

And another satisfied customer
  • Being New Here--This is a Strange Thread--While SVS might be a good and possibly better than Polk--This is a Polk Forum.

Polk sells Subs and all you guys are Hawking SVS Subs.

Regardless of what you think about Polk Subs This is outright Disrespectful to Polk Speakers.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Not sure if you are serious? In my opinion it seems this thread is more about discussing ownership of a particular brand of subwoofer and how they are being used. I can see how you could view this as being disrespectful to Polk but many of the subs discussed in this thread do not compete with what Polk currently has to offer. Polk no longer offers higher end subwoofers. Many of us have owned Polk subs and moved on due to lack of better options from Polk. There are tons of threads on this forum discussing many different manufacturers of components and speakers not to disrepect Polk but to just discuss the hobby in general.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • mikeyb128
    edited March 2017
    This is a Polk forum, and also an audio forum. Therefore we discuss all things audio, including music. This is not a you must buy an svs thread. I have had about 10 Polk subs before I moved on.

It's your turn to pull your head out of your f a n n y on this one. Try to relax. Or you won't last long around here.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• This thread is about SVS Subs--a competitor of Polk.
    Polk is in business to sell loudspeakers including subs and when a member of the forum makes a thread dedicated to another brand, a competitor of the Host of this Forum--That is disrespectful.
    Are there threads dedicated to other brands of speakers in the speaker area where members talk about how much better these speakers are than Polk?

Yeah we can say that we have different brands, say what they are and give the reasons we own them--even say we think they are better than the brand the Host (Polk) is selling. There is nothing wrong with that.

I own some Klipsch Speakers and have said so in this forum but I have not dedicated a thread to Klipsch Speakers to tell other forum members that they are better than some Polks and they should buy Klipsch instead of Polk. That would not be right of me to do that.
    Denon X1200W
    Sony BDP S-590
    Mains Signature S60
    Center Signature S55
    Surrounds Polk RTi-4
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    There are tons of threads about other speaker manufacturers on this forum but you decide to attack the one about subwoofers? Trolling?

Polk no longer offers a high end subwoofer. Their offerings are more entry level and it seems they haven't released a new model in years. For the most part Polk has really not tried to compete in the subwoofer market anymore. If Polk wanted to get back into the subwoofer market this thread could be used to see what we are currently using and where the demand is in the audio community.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • polrbehr
    sgmsmg wrote: »
    Polk no longer offers a high end subwoofer. Their offerings are more entry level and it seems they haven't released a new model in years. For the most part Polk has really not tried to compete in the subwoofer market anymore. If Polk wanted to get back into the subwoofer market this thread could be used to see what we are currently using and where the demand is in the audio community.

+1

@WVHillbilly, I get where you're coming from. But Polk and SVS almost seem to enjoy a symbiotic relationship, and it seems to me that the moderators here are well aware of this thread, and could have removed it a long time ago. Who knows, maybe Polk has a stake in SVS...

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Exactly... newbies need to learn to embrace the site/forum and its independent thinkers and their way of expressing themselves.
    The site works, period.
    If anything is submitted that is not acceptable for the site the moderators will police it as that is their job. Currently there are no openings.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • Legender
    edited March 2017
    Oh yeah, I forgot, I can officially post in this thread... just picked up two SB13 Ultras last week.
    Yeah, they work nice.
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • mikeyb128
    Legender wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I forgot, I can officially post in this thread... just picked up two SB13 Ultras last week.
    Yeah, they work nice.

Home theater or 2 channel?
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• polrbehr
    From what I can recall, the LSiW was Polk's TOTL subwoofer, but it's long been discontinued. Nowadays, their DSW PRO line is their top performer, and having heard the 550wi, I can say (and have said - several times) that Polk can make a very good sub.

• mikeyb128
    polrbehr wrote: »
    From what I can recall, the LSiW was Polk's TOTL subwoofer, but it's long been discontinued. Nowadays, their DSW PRO line is their top performer, and having heard the 550wi, I can say (and have said - several times) that Polk can make a very good sub.

Owned 2 of the dsw 500's and they did very well. They are built solid, and sound very nice. Owned a micro pro as well, also a very nice sub. I found the dsw to have more bang for buck. The micro pro was, and is over priced in my opinion.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Legender
    @mikeyb128 for both I think. Have one hooked up to the 2 channel and want to put the other one upstairs when I get some help for the home theater.
    But driving the 2 channel with a parasound JC-2 and it does not support crossover settings, so not quite working like I want.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    WVHillbilly, you are really off base with this thread. Polks bread and butter are their speakers NOT their subs. I think even they know that.

No one is saying that Polks subs are bad, we are simply saying there are much better options out there for subwoofers.

Our goal is to assist everyone in getting the best system that they can afford, including a good sub. Sometimes a Polk sub will do esp. the DSW line, but there are other options and quite frankly SVS is pretty much the cream of the crop.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • polrbehr

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Being New Here--This is a Strange Thread--While SVS might be a good and possibly better than Polk--This is a Polk Forum.

Polk sells Subs and all you guys are Hawking SVS Subs.
    One of THE most respected members who posts/helps frequently, doesn't have any Polk listed in his signature.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • mikeyb128
    edited March 2017
    polrbehr wrote: »

Cool video, thanks for sharing.

And why the hillbilly picked this thread is a mystery. There's about a dozen other threads on other brands.

That's how cool Polk is. They let us talk all sorts of audio, even if it is other brands. I know I still have polks in my house and always will.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• gp4jesus
    edited March 2017
    Opinions on accuracy, musicality, "how deep it digs" and output

Polk DSW Pro 600
    Velodyne F-1200 servo
    SVS SB-1000
    SVS SB12 NSD (site says it digs 1hz lower than SB-1000)

1000 thanks in advance,Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    This is a thread I will respect and not force any silly memes or gifs.
    But, if you wish, I have some cute kitty pics to share.
  • brad1138
    brad1138 Posts: 3
    Hello, I ran across a deal on a pair of CS-Ultra subs with original Amp. They want less than I can sell my pair of Velodyne ULD 15 Series II subs for. But I am not sure if it is an upgrade or not. How good were the CS-Ultras?
    Thanks
  • gp4jesus
    So...

SVS SB12-NSD or SVS SB-1000?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    If you can't get ahold of a SB12-NSD, then get it's closer equivalent of the SB-2000.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • gp4jesus
    Ahh!