Official SVS owners thread!

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,517
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Sounds like professional blackmail to me.

The best kind
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Update... I have a REL G1 coming to see what's what.
    What what...
    Enroute, delivery Tuesday.
    Kinda scared to go speakon to the Boulder... Last thing I want is to blow the Boulder as that would be terrible.
    Now you've done it! Just in time for the Holiday. Nothing like a wall of $20K in bass to warm the season!

....and don't be worried about the Boulder Beast....that thing can drive 2 Ohm loads and has protection circuitry. The high level input impedance on the Rel is 150,000 ohms... the amp barely sees it and the output going to the speakers is almost unaffected.

Now, you just have to find a way to keep those until the New Year....then find a way to get at least the SB16 and the Rythmik F15HP in the room. I think the $1399 Rythmik might surprise you.... Especially the fact that you can get four (line array! wink! wink!) for a little more than a single REL or two SB16. The Rythmik has high-level inputs also.
    http://www.rythmikaudio.com/download/A370PEQ3_quickguide.pdf

It would be a cool showdown!

It doesn't have the prestige of the REL or the hoopla of the SVS but its a great product at a reasonable price and can stand on its own in audiophile circles, the gloss is a looker also.
    JB6.jpg

The Rhythmic is the one I would go for if I was in the market. I would love to do a couple of their DIY kits and flirted with the idea of some DIY speakers using their 8" DS800 CI - Direct Servo subs in some large towers like used in the Salk Exotica 3. However, I'm more of the budget DIY type and will go for the best value. $1179 for four 8 inchers and two 350 watt amps is not the best value out there in terms of DIY. LOL!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The flying carpet at the end of that video looks like fun!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2016
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Update... I have a REL G1 coming to see what's what.
    What what...
    Enroute, delivery Tuesday.
    Kinda scared to go speakon to the Boulder... Last thing I want is to blow the Boulder as that would be terrible.
    Now you've done it! Just in time for the Holiday. Nothing like a wall of $20K in bass to warm the season!

....and don't be worried about the Boulder Beast....that thing can drive 2 Ohm loads and has protection circuitry. The high level input impedance on the Rel is 150,000 ohms... the amp barely sees it and the output going to the speakers is almost unaffected.

Now, you just have to find a way to keep those until the New Year....then find a way to get at least the SB16 and the Rythmik F15HP in the room. I think the $1399 Rythmik might surprise you.... Especially the fact that you can get four (line array! wink! wink!) for a little more than a single REL or two SB16. The Rythmik has high-level inputs also.
    http://www.rythmikaudio.com/download/A370PEQ3_quickguide.pdf

It would be a cool showdown!

It doesn't have the prestige of the REL or the hoopla of the SVS but its a great product at a reasonable price and can stand on its own in audiophile circles, the gloss is a looker also.
    JB6.jpg

The Rhythmic is the one I would go for if I was in the market. I would love to do a couple of their DIY kits and flirted with the idea of some DIY speakers using their 8" DS800 CI - Direct Servo subs in some large towers like used in the Salk Exotica 3. However, I'm more of the budget DIY type and will go for the best value. $1179 for four 8 inchers and two 350 watt amps is not the best value out there in terms of DIY. LOL!

Haha... So far I convinced him of only borrowing one... If I borrowed all 4 I might not want to move it out of my room.

I think he's onto me.

Maybe I'll reroute 2 by the time Christmas is here.

Btw thanks for the info regarding impedance on the rel link
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • WLDock
    Options
    Yeah, IMO the whole stereo audiophile high-level input thing misses the mark a little with a single. You must get that second one in the room so that you can really see what its all about. I think the REL philosophy for a music system is dual subs....given that they promote line arrays.

You have work to do sir! LOL!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Yeah, IMO the whole stereo audiophile high-level input thing misses the mark a little with a single. You must get that second one in the room so that you can really see what its all about. I think the REL philosophy for a music system is dual subs....given that they promote line arrays.

You have work to do sir! LOL!

I think rels philosophy is to promote bankruptcy my friend
  • WLDock
    Options
    Yes, $5500 for a 12" , 600 watt sub is just a ton of cash. Six of them is insane!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Yes, $5500 for a 12" , 600 watt sub is just a ton of cash. Six of them is insane!

We'll see if I have the balls to do 6. I think 2 might be just right. 4 is overkill. 6 might be just insane.

The system is always a work in progress my friend.

One thing I know for sure, 2x SVS SB16U would have more than enough grunt.... forever. And it's cheaper.
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2016
    Options

That was awesome. Unreal how large the PB16 is.

And it flapped the rug??
  • WLDock
    Options
    $1999.99 is still a lot of cash but man is there more value there then the REL.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    $1999.99 is still a lot of cash but man is there more value there then the REL.

NO doubt pound for pound it's better than the REL.

Looking forward to the REL in my system.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,647
    Options

And it flapped the rug??

Ride the magic carpet bro...
  • Joey_V
    Options

And it flapped the rug??

Ride the magic carpet bro...

Can be interpreted in so many ways, but I agree.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    This may just peak your interest:

SVS SB12-NSD for $399 ---> BRAND NEW from SVS. Black Friday Sale! I didn't need one, but I bought one anyway. Get 'em before they're gone! @cfrizz !!!

https://www.svsound.com/products/sb12-nsd?utm_source=SVS+Newsletter&utm_campaign=2c79e08298-Newsletter_November_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_932c6e125c-2c79e08298-79661469&mc_cid=2c79e08298&mc_eid=9fff01d9f0
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Great deal, I really don't like the grill
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    Options
    halo wrote: »

SVS SB12-NSD for $399 ---> BRAND NEW from SVS. Black Friday Sale! I didn't need one, but I bought one anyway. Get 'em before they're gone! @cfrizz !!!

https://www.svsound.com/products/sb12-nsd?utm_source=SVS+Newsletter&utm_campaign=2c79e08298-Newsletter_November_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_932c6e125c-2c79e08298-79661469&mc_cid=2c79e08298&mc_eid=9fff01d9f0

I grabbed one. B)

They're now sold out from SVS, although there may be a few left from other outlets.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    WTS wrote: »
    halo wrote: »

I grabbed one. B)

They're now sold out from SVS, although there may be a few left from other outlets.

Amazon still has them. If you've ever wanted an SVS or if you ever wanted dual subs, now is the time.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    Options
    From the info online, looks like the 16 ultra series sounds great, but the amp is having problems with auto off not working
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • Joey_V
    Options
    gurot1 wrote: »
    From the info online, looks like the 16 ultra series sounds great, but the amp is having problems with auto off not working

Ah good call... Let's get the kinks worked out first
  • gurot1
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am always a little leary about the first run of a new model. I remember years ago looking at getting a brand new car model, but environment up not getting it, interestingly they forgot to put a gas cap holder in it! Nothing major but just one of those things .
    Other than that little issue,sounds like the new ultra 16 series really kicks butt. Seems like the sb16 really digs deep and performs on movies and music, lots of headroom....avs has lots of postings.
    Post edited by gurot1 on
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • spazmo
    spazmo Posts: 21
    Options
    H/T Denon AVR S500BT,fronts Klipsch RF-41,center Klipsch KSC-C1,Sub Sunfire SDS-12,surrounds Polk Monitor 45B. System sounds accurate,deep and great overall.
  • gurot1
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Phew, looks like my wallet is safe for now. Seems like the few people that have had both the pb13's and sb16 say the sb16 is very nice, but for movies the pb13 are better at low, low frequencies. I have come to the realisation that for next few years I wont be doing a whole lot of music listening, mostly trying to catch a movie or two, thus the pb13 will do the job well. But darn it, those sb16's look beauuuutiful!.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Phew, looks like my wallet is safe for now. Seems like the few people that have had both the pb13's and sb16 say the sb16 is very nice, but for movies the pb13 are better at low, low frequencies. I have come to the realisation that for next few years I wont be doing a whole lot of music listening, mostly trying to catch a movie or two, thus the pb13 will do the job well. But darn it, those sb16's look beauuuutiful!.

But what they didn't say was that the pb16 is even better for movies rofl
  • gurot1
    edited December 2016
    Options

But what they didn't say was that the pb16 is even better for movies rofl

If I was to try and squeeze those in, I would need to be rid of my left and right channels :). Not to mention spend a whole day walking around the house with an impact driver to fix all the new rattles
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Joey_V
    Options
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options

My JL is dead and awaiting a new plate amp. Very disappointing for a sub this new. I've had an itchy finger for an svs sb13 again. Muuust resist!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Joey_V
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

My JL is dead and awaiting a new plate amp. Very disappointing for a sub this new. I've had an itchy finger for an svs sb13 again. Muuust resist!

Dooo eet so I don't have to dooo eet.