SDA SRS 2 - Fully upgraded - Michigan

Rex81
Rex81 Posts: 193
edited February 2017 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
Selling my fully upgraded Polk SDA SRS 2 speakers in excellent condition, overall 8 out of 10. These were my babies, but I'm moving and can't take them with me.

Pick up in Lansing, Michigan.

Upgrades:
-fully recapped crossovers with Dayton 5% in the sub and low pass, Dayton 1% in the high pass.
-Polk RDO-194 tweeters
-SpeakOn 12 ga interconnect cable
-upgraded binding posts
-Loctite applied to drivers
-New Armacell driver gaskets
-Dynamated drivers
-Hurricane nuts installed

$700 obo

vekjrxzdj637.jpg

b5it4v3k0v5y.jpg
vwepoinchima.jpg

Comments

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Very nice condition. GLWYS and with the new home. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Sweet deal on these Rex,agree with the others, wish I was closer. :) Hey la2vegas, the west coast (especially San Fran. area) usually has a lot of vintage SDA/SRS series speaks. ;) GLWTS sir!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    could one still use Larry's rings after the hurricane nuts?
    These are very tempting
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Man if I were closer these would be mine!
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    I don't see the grills but assume you have them. Were these pin/blade or blade/blade as far as the wiring of the crossovers?
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • Rex81
    Yes, the grills are in near perfect shape. Can kind of see them on the last picture.

These are 1986 blade/blade, now converted to speakOn.
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    could one still use Larry's rings after the hurricane nuts?
    These are very tempting

Yes, mine had hurricanes and I installed Larry's rings.
  • Here's the shop that bought mine for $600. He drove 500 miles round trip to pick them up. I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted another pair.

http://waybackgr.com/#used-equipment
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Must. Resist. Temptation.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I see that guy's jacked the price up there pretty good.
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256
    These are my favorite model of SDA speakers and your's look great.
  • dromunds wrote: »
    I see that guy's jacked the price up there pretty good.

Yes, he did. I'm sure it's negotiable.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    @SCompRacer had a set of these and they were very impressive. GLWTS!!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • I have SDA 2Bs that I recapped with Sonicap & Axon, replaced the inductor with Erse, Dynamat, Speakon, etc. How big a difference would these be? Powered by NAD 3400.
    SDA 2BTL NAD 3400 Philips DVD 963SA Marantz NR-1402
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    How big is your room?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Excellent question by Nightfall. I own a pair of the SDA/SRS 2's p/b , run them in a room about 20'x20'x8'. They require a good size room for sure. These big boys really open up to another level with an amp capable over 250 watts rms per channel.
  • Rex81
    I actually owned SDA 2Bs and upgraded to these. And my room isn't big. 22x12x8. I initially upgraded to original SRS but they were just too big. They pressurized the room. Then I settled on the SRS 2 and they were just right. They just sound bigger than the 2Bs. Some might say they were a little big for my room, but if you pull them off the wall a bit, you're able to tame the bass nicely. I loved them dearly. I just can't use them in my new space.

Oh, and I've run them on all sorts of amps, all the way up to 525 wpc, and I must say, they sound their absolute best on my 1962 Fisher 800-B, and that's good for a whopping 18 wpc! They're actually very efficient speakers so really don't require more than a few watts. The amp just needs a nice fat transformer on board to push current through those crossovers.
  • MMMmm. doable. 3 hr 35 minutes one way...
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Your comment on "nice fat transformer on board to push current" rings so true.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    If i didnt already have plans on picking up a set of 1.2tls next weekend, i would drive up to Michigan and snatch these up.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Plans to pick up 1.2tl's next weekend? When were you planning to let us know about this?

8c99eurkkme3.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I would take these for sure if you were closer. I'm looking for a second system setup and these would remind me of what I had. Good luck with the sale.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Gerres26
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Plans to pick up 1.2tl's next weekend? When were you planning to let us know about this?

I didn't want to jinx myself to be honest lol...worked out a deal with someone on another audio site who was looking to part with a pair. Only one person here knew about it because i pm'ed him to ask for advise, and that would be @F1nut

But don't worry, once i get them in my possession i will start a new thread about them. They need a little work so I'm sure i will be asking for advise from members here.

Sorry for the off topic thread derail
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Are you getting skinnidog's pair Gerres?
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477

that sounds like a don't ask don't tell situation :p
  • motorstereo
    Lol; Very well could be...... I know I don't breathe a word of my pending deals either
  • Gerres26

No, Skinnidog and i couldn't some to an agreement and its no fault to him. His asking price was fair and his 1.2's seemed to be perfect condition. I actually was going to try to save up some more cash to reach his asking price but then anothet member pm'd me with a set of 1.2tls for sale and i had to jump on them even though they need a little work cosmetically.(some stains on the top of the cabs and he said the grill cloth isn't in the best shape)

Like i said, once i pick them up i will assess what shape they are in and ask you guys for some tips on the fixes im sure. I have a long drive ahead of me next weekend but I already have my 1c's sold so i can't wait to get these 1.2tls home and give them a listen.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I've learned it's never a good idea to sell the thing you're replacing until after you've lived with the new thing and are certain it's for you.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Gerres26
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I've learned it's never a good idea to sell the thing you're replacing until after you've lived with the new thing and are certain it's for you.

I normally agree, but i also dont mind taking a chance on something especially if i can come out ahead if i dont like the "upgrade".
  • motorstereo
    If you've got the room for them, proper set up and good electronics behind them you're going to love them Gerres. Good luck to you