My Daughter Said She Wants a Turntable for Christmas...

Comments

• cvc
    cvc Posts: 65
    Awesome pics.. Thanks!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,923
    That's a beautiful space for your young ladies!

I have to say, though, that "ZOSO" looks a wee bit out of place in that setting ;)
  • Best Dad ever, Al!
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    That's a beautiful space for your young ladies!

I have to say, though, that "ZOSO" looks a wee bit out of place in that setting ;)

What?!? ZOSO and Frozen & Tangled posters don't go well together? :D I think someone told Mr. Reese the same thing about chocolate and peanut butter.
    Best Dad ever, Al!

Thanks Mike. I'm hardly the best Dad ever, but I try... B)

She's really digging it, and hopefully she sticks with it. Then maybe she'll work her way up to something nicer someday. We both loved your Bluenote Bellavista! THAT was gorgeous.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I laughed reading some of your latest, Al - really cool to see you enjoying this as much as you are B)

I can still remember my first and second little dept store combo stereo systems that my parents got me. First in 5th grade, and then a little upgrade a few years later. Nothing as cool as what you've pulled together here (love those RT15i's btw - I have a set, at heiny's recommendation, in a little office system), but I loved each simply for the ability to listen to my own music in my room and to find my way through music. Looking back, these little systems were two of the best gifts my parents ever got me when I was a kid.

The gift of exposure to the experiences of music - it lasts a lifetime. So cool you get to experience this with your daughter :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Tried skimming thought this quickly, but did not see mention of her age, may have missed it.

• scubalab
    Thanks Scott! It is cool to be 'rediscovering' this media with Katie. I too remember my first 'stereo' system in my bedroom. I think it was a cheap JCPenny special complete with record player, equalizer, cassette, tuner, AND 8-track! Looked like components, but was all molded together in a stack about 15" high! At the time, I thought NOTHING could sound better. I even had some K-Tel albums that I practically wore out. Then when the Walkman came out, it was all about cassette tapes. I never did use that darn 8-track player!

I picked up those RT25i's at the recommendation of the forum (both Brock (heiny) and Paul (rooftop) recommended. Well worth the small investment. They hit WAY above their size and price point and do it well.

Thanks for sharing your similar experience growing up!
  • scubalab
    K_M wrote: »
    Tried skimming thought this quickly, but did not see mention of her age, may have missed it.

She's 13 (will turn 14 in May)... Growing up WAY too fast! :'(
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Very Nice!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    scubalab wrote: »

Two more years and she's on the open road. Two more after that and she'll be voting. Three after that and she's an adult in the eyes of the law (on her way to becoming one for sure but I'm surrounded by twenty somethings on campus and they've got a loooong way to go before they start to be actual adults. lol).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    Haha! I could have written this! That's exactly what I had for my first upgrade!
    I switched to tapes, too, and ended up with one of the coveted yellow Sony Sports Walkmans. So cool.

Same experience on the RT25i's.
    I too remember my first 'stereo' system in my bedroom. I think it was a cheap JCPenny special complete with record player, equalizer, cassette, tuner, AND 8-track! Looked like components, but was all molded together in a stack about 15" high! At the time, I thought NOTHING could sound better. I even had some K-Tel albums that I practically wore out. Then when the Walkman came out, it was all about cassette tapes. I never did use that darn 8-track player!

I picked up those RT25i's at the recommendation of the forum (both Brock (heiny) and Paul (rooftop) recommended. Well worth the small investment. They hit WAY above their size and price point and do it well.
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    msg wrote: »
    Haha! I could have written this! That's exactly what I had for my first upgrade!
    I switched to tapes, too, and ended up with one of the coveted yellow Sony Sports Walkmans. So cool.

Same experience on the RT25i's.
    I too remember my first 'stereo' system in my bedroom. I think it was a cheap JCPenny special complete with record player, equalizer, cassette, tuner, AND 8-track! Looked like components, but was all molded together in a stack about 15" high! At the time, I thought NOTHING could sound better. I even had some K-Tel albums that I practically wore out. Then when the Walkman came out, it was all about cassette tapes. I never did use that darn 8-track player!

I had a Sanyo "all in one" that looked like separate components (no 8-track though). I also had a grey Sony Walkman when they first came out. It died just after the warranty expired. Little did I know that was a trend I'd experience from then on with Sony equipment (no rhyme or reason to it, just the way it is. lol.)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • scubalab
    Too funny! I didn't have the sport Walkman, so I had to stay away from the pools with mine. But, I do recall it being one of the nicest/smallest (not much bigger than a cassette case). It was a very nice Walkman that I saved and saved up for. I always regretted not getting the sport though!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627

awwwwwwwwwww!
    Yeah, we have a younger one here, 5 years old.
    She will fixate on the oddest music we happen to play at times..lol.

Zero interest in our turntable so far, but likes watching it play!
  • scubalab
    ^^ Give it time... give it time! :)
  • scubalab
    edited December 2016
    When I got home from work this afternoon, I told the girls to go clean their rooms. A little while later, I hear Fleetwood Mac (Rumors) coming from The toy room (soon to be Katie's bedroom)! Love that she's getting into these older classics!

Thanks @mhardy6647!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    When I was 16, Rumors had just for been released and me & my cousin use to hang out at the Masseys house. they were the 3 girls and 2 rackstraw gals and their Dad had this Real to real and had recorded all his new Vinyl and we listen to "Fleetwood Mac & Cat Steven's.

Was a awesome system their Dad had and I can't remember what speakers or gear except it wasn't cheap...he would not let them play his Vinyl but they could listen to the Reel to Reel he had it recorded on :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • scubalab
    Shout out to Josh - @Nightfall for sending even more 'karma-d' vinyl to my daughter. Once again, the outpouring of generosity of the members on this forum never ceases to amaze me!

Once things settle down, I'll do a karma of any duplicates she may have received. I know there is at least one or two.

Thanks again to all who helped with this endeavor. So far, she's still loving it.

-Al
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Good job Dad, you guys have put together a very nice rig, much more than just a "starter" set-up.

N'joy this time with your children, they will be out on their own, in the time it takes to get up and flip an album.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Al, how is this going? Is Katie still into it or is the interest waning?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 342
    edited February 2017
    All those subliminal tapes must have worked!..."You're an audiophile, you need to buy albums & a TAS subscription.." :wink:
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    That's great!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Excellent choices ! If I can throw in one suggestion, perhaps Carole King's "Tapestry" may be to her liking also.

Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,923
    .... I honestly haven't heard her play something and say she didn't like it!

Oh, I'll bet we could remedy that! ;)

There is some pretty hideous stuff available on vinyl from the glory days of the medium.

Maybe something like this:

R-904252-1180284429.jpeg.jpg

https://youtu.2be/yPFMyFuar4E

ahem

:)

• Nightfall
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    .... I honestly haven't heard her play something and say she didn't like it!

Oh, I'll bet we could remedy that! ;)

It sounds like a challenge. A challenge that I guarantee I'd win. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=482tDopNzoc

• I want that 4:29 of my life back! :o
  • Nightfall
    I want that 4:29 of my life back! :o

Looks like I win. :D

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Scubalab, I may have a couple LP's I could karma your way, PM me and lets see if we can figure out a couple titles/artists.