Joule Electra Preamp owners?

Options
footwedge
footwedge Posts: 475
edited February 2017 in Electronics
When did the "K" get added to the model number or is this a mistake? When I recently purchased one it was listed as a LA 150 MKII and further google searches showed the "K" regardless if it was a 100 or 150. Asking this because the other night I took a look inside to see what tubes where in place and noticed the name plate on the back of the unit which shows the serial/model numbers and the model number was shown as LA-150MII. My manual and all the pictures I found on the net shows it without the "K". Curious mind would like to know.

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Mine is a lap 150 a it does not have a k on it. The P in the LAP is for phono.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    You have an oops. Seriously.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• footwedge
    edited February 2017
    Options
    If you mean the name plate is in error, then I would have to disagree because it would be hard for me to believe Jud made this misstep on the name plate and the manual that has hand drawn circuits.

Below is a link to a product info page from Signature Sound and even it has some contradictions with the "K".

http://sigsound.com/classic-product-info/joule-electra-info-page/

From reading this info it's obvious the "M" stands for "Mark" and IMO would be abbreviated with a "M" not "MK".

As previously stated, I do not think Jud would have mistakenly omitted the "K" from the manual title sheet and name plate. Heck he was an engineer.

Where's all the Joule owners? @tonyb @dhart86 and others. If it's not to much trouble check your model number on the back of the unit and post it.

And yes I know this not affect the sound :)
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Mk= mark
    e.g. LA-150 MKII = LA-150 mark two
    Or maybe I'm not understanding your question?
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • footwedge
    Options
    I don't think the "K" in the model number is correct. It should be "MII" as shown on the manual title sheet and on the back of the unit. I have yet to find a picture of a joule that has a "K" in the model number on the back of the unit.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    My 100 is a LA-100 mk iii
  • erniejade
    Options
    Mine does not have a k. Why don't you email Rich at Signature sound or give him a call. He is probably the most knowledgeable person on the Joule line. The link you posted is from Rich.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • footwedge
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    My 100 is a LA-100 mk iii

And is the "K" shown on the serial/model no. plate on the back of the unit or are you going by the nomenclature found everywhere. Look at the back of your Joule. I bet, what I don't know, the "K" is not shown. I hope ;)
  • footwedge
    edited February 2017
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Mine does not have a k. Why don't you email Rich at Signature sound or give him a call. He is probably the most knowledgeable person on the Joule line. The link you posted is from Rich.

My posts are relative to the preamp line (no phono). You're an oddball in this situation. :)

A call to Rich is in my plan. Just was hoping to gather some more information from those that have a Joule. I might even try to contact Jud.
  • vcwatkins
    edited February 2017
    Options
    It seems a difference without distinction to me. Mark = mark whether MK, Mk, Mk., M, m, just Roman numerals, numbers...
    FWIW, the serial no. label on the back of my LA-100 mkIII reads "LA-100MIII/303" and, maybe importantly, no room on the label for any more characters. I can check the manual if you'd like.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • vcwatkins
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Manual says "LA-100 and LA-200", hehe. Oh well.
  • footwedge
    Options
    There's room on the label because my label reads LA-150MII/090107 - 2 more characters than yours. :) . My manual matches this model no.

I just prefer things to be correct and without doubt. I've come to realize that being an engineer is a fricking CURSE. I hate it but the DW loves it.

Oh well. Thanks.
  • kharp1
    Options
    footwedge wrote: »
    There's room on the label because my label reads LA-150MII/090107 - 2 more characters than yours. :) . My manual matches this model no.

I just prefer things to be correct and without doubt. I've come to realize that being an engineer is a fricking CURSE. I hate it but the DW loves it.

Oh well. Thanks.

There's a very good possibility that yours is a Chinese knockoff which is why it's labeled differently.

Let that little bug get in your engineering head and crawl around for a while, perhaps lay eggs and fester >:) Play evil laugh here...
  • footwedge
    Options
    kharp1 wrote: »
    footwedge wrote: »

Oh well. Thanks.

There's a very good possibility that yours is a Chinese knockoff which is why it's labeled differently.

Let that little bug get in your engineering head and crawl around for a while, perhaps lay eggs and fester >:) Play evil laugh here...

Is your real name Ron White? :)

Have you checked the back of your unit?
  • kharp1
    Options
    No, I'm a work and they frown on such activities.

Seriously, I'm a work till 7 tomorrow morning. I'll check tomorrow when I get up.
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Options
    Mine reads LA 150 MII
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• F1nut
    Options
    It's been a long time since I had my Joule. I thought it had MK on the plate, but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps since everyone refers to them as Mark **** I assumed it was on the plate. Regardless, the models are Mark ****.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Why the hell are 3 x's in a row censored? WHY!?!

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    xxxx

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    xx

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    So, it's only 3. How whacked is that!!!

President of Club Polk

• JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 718
    Options
    F1Nut is trying to get his post number counts up...LOL!
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 718
    Options
    should have started with 1000X...
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    edited February 2017
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Because ****.

Oops, can't say p orn either.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • footwedge
    Options
    It's been a long time since I had my Joule. I thought it had MK on the plate, but maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps since everyone refers to them as Mark **** I assumed it was on the plate. Regardless, the models are Mark ****.

What made you let her go?
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Because Triple X is associated with P-O-R-N?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Mine is one of the originals Judd made, LA-100.....No further designation except a serial number which is 076 I believe. I've read these earlier units are sought after but I can't find out exactly why.

I don't think it matters if yours says M or MK, I think it's just terminology to designate different models. I wouldn't be losing sleep over it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Because ****.

Oops, can't say p orn either.

Adult Film works LOL