Joule Electra LA 150 MK II

dhart86
dhart86 Posts: 1,594
Hey guys....I'm stoked!~ I just scored on a J.E. LA 150 MKII. I was wondering if anyone had a manual for this guy? And here comes the seemingly dumb question........ how do you open it up to see the insides?

Also, what is a good amp (s/s or tube) to mate with this guy. In a moment of weakness / insanity I gave my McCormack DNA 0.5 to a friend that I was introducing to the hobby, when he suffered an unfortunate circumstance.......giving him my favorite amp was my attempt to console him. I want it back, but you know I can't ask for it back.

Anyway I have the Joule driving a stock Belles 150A into a pair of Harbeth C7. Sound pretty darned good but wondering about bettering the amp. I tend to like listening to music in the warm / lush area. I would look to the used market with a budget under $2000

Any comments are appreciated
Main Rig:
Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I believe there are 8 small Torx screws located on the sides, two top and bottom of each side. I put mine in a zip lock baggie and labeled them and stuck them in my tube drawer. The top slides up and off so it fits on snug with a gravity fir. I saw no reason to put the screws back in yet.
  • dhart86
    edited January 2017
    Thanks Kharp1........appreciate it!

BTW how does your Joule sound with the Pass Labs Aleph 30? (That amp never comes up on the used market)

Seems like you put together a nice rig over there!!!!
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Congrats on the purchase. The joule availability seems very low lately. I will say the pass xa amp and aleph do go well with the joule. I use the xa daily and I picked up an aleph to play with.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    dhart86 wrote: »
    Thanks Kharp1........appreciate it!

BTW how does your Joule sound with the Pass Labs Aleph 30? (That amp never comes up on the used market)

Seems like you put together a nice rig over there!!!!

Very nice. When I plugged the Joule in to the system I had been using the P5 with good results, I was pretty happy with the sound. Once the joule was plugged in, tubes updated and burned in, I noticed a much larger stage in every dimension. Vocals took on a more natural tone and everything seemed to just sound "more right." The bottom end had more depth and richness. Everything played with a new sense of power and authority as well as finesse, for lack of better words.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nice description, same realized on my account also. Get your McCormack back, the Belles is a nice amp too but the McCormack is a few notches better in my view. Tell your buddy you'll swap amps with him.

The Firstwatt Mr. Wagner posted is also an excellent choice, they make nice sounding stuff. In SS amps though, Pass or McCormack is about as close you'll get to that tube warmth you seek without going into tubed amps.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    Hey guys....I'm stoked!~ I just scored on a J.E. LA 150 MKII. I was wondering if anyone had a manual for this guy? And here comes the seemingly dumb question........ how do you open it up to see the insides?

Also, what is a good amp (s/s or tube) to mate with this guy. In a moment of weakness / insanity I gave my McCormack DNA 0.5 to a friend that I was introducing to the hobby, when he suffered an unfortunate circumstance.......giving him my favorite amp was my attempt to console him. I want it back, but you know I can't ask for it back.

Anyway I have the Joule driving a stock Belles 150A into a pair of Harbeth C7. Sound pretty darned good but wondering about bettering the amp. I tend to like listening to music in the warm / lush area. I would look to the used market with a budget under $2000

Any comments are appreciated

@dhart86

Mine has 4 hex head screws, two on each upper side. I have a manual I could send you late next week once I get back to work.

Enjoy, this is a Joule. Driving a b&k 200 and although my room is far from ideal, it sounds great.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I don't have a J.E. pre but I do have 2 warm / lush sounding amps in the house; The McCormack DNA-125& a B&K ST125.2 & I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either of these amps.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    On the tube side of things Rogue Stereo 100 Magnum.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Congrats on the 150!!! I do have a manual I could copy but, it is for the 150A version with a phono board so the tubes listed would be different.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • dhart86
    edited January 2017
    WagnerRC wrote: »

HAHAHAHA........I haven't been in this polk forum for a couple days......But I guess if you hangout w/ people long enough, you start to think alike
    This is my first day back since I started this thread, but I bought that exact amp over the weekend Bob.

Thanks Footwedge I sent you a PM

tony b....gotta keep an I open for another McCormack (really like the 0.5 version)
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• tonyb
    I think the sound characteristics of the Joule and that M2 could be a real good match. Don't forget a little dish soap and a spatula.....scrap that sack off the back wall. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    edited January 2017
    WagnerRC wrote: »

HAHAHAHA........I haven't been in this polk forum for a couple days......But I guess if you hangout w/ people long enough, you start to think alike
    This is my first day back since I started this thread, but I bought that exact amp over the weekend Bob.

Thanks Footwedge I sent you a PM

tony b....gotta keep an I open for another McCormack (really like the 0.5 version)

Sweet amp, anxious to hear your impressions and how well it drives a normal speaker.

H9

P.s. Had my eye on that but now I'm looking at an F7.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/first-watt-f7-stereo-power-amplifier/
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Congrats on the pre and amp, dhart. Should be sweet.

H9, here's an F6 that sorta interests me. A pilot run / artist proof type thing which, I would think, would lower resale due to uncertainty and perhaps nudge the price lower than current asking. Especially considering the F7 new price is just 20% more.
    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649202361-first-watt-f6-by-nelson-pass-practically-new-current-model-save-500-from-retail-price/
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • heiney9
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Congrats on the pre and amp, dhart. Should be sweet.

H9, here's an F6 that sorta interests me. A pilot run / artist proof type thing which, I would think, would lower resale due to uncertainty and perhaps nudge the price lower than current asking. Especially considering the F7 new price is just 20% more.
    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649202361-first-watt-f6-by-nelson-pass-practically-new-current-model-save-500-from-retail-price/

All the FW stuff has it's own unique character. I'm sure that would be a nice piece. Go for it!

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    Yep, certainly do Brock. The man likes to tinker with his designs and hardly ever leaves well enough alone. Basically though, all his first watt designs are low wattage single ended class A. Which means buyers have to consider the heat these puppies are going to throw.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    edited January 2017
    Yes, they dissipate a lot of heat as all proper class A circuits do. The F7 intrigues me because it only has 4 transistors and 4 resistors with 2 gain stages.

Doesn't get more simple than that

first%20watt%20f7%20inside.png
  • heiney9
    With only 4 transistors, I would imagine the heat to be less than say......my Aleph 30. But in the Aleph the trannys are run at 30% of their thermal capacity. Perhaps these only being 4 are run higher into the thermal capacity?

H9
  • dhart86
    edited January 2017
    The First Watt M2 amp showed up on my door step today. So after letting it get use to its new environment for a couple hours.....I warmed it up for an hour and just started a listen.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been listening to JRiver source via
    Joule Electra La 150MKII pre> Belles 150A amp > Harbeth C7 speakers.

First off, this rig sounded pretty darn good with the Belles driving the speakers. Still miss my McCormack DNA 0.5 .....but not as much after getting used to the Belles in the rig. i could have lived with the Belles, but just thought, I wanted a better amp for the Joule to drive.

Enter the First Watt M2. Boy-oh-boy, I could tell w/in 10 minutes that i had scored a winner! I know the M2 provides 25 watts @ 8ohms but it plays so authoritatively. The sound is full and on the warm side of neutral. Definitively
    not slow or sluggish sounding. Plays fast, crisp and clear.

Seems to be a great fit in my rig for my listening preference. My listening position is about 14 ft in a 25 x 25 room

Compared to the Belles, i am hearing more extension both ways. I sense a little more air and crystal clear-ness. the mids coming thru the Harbeths sound perfect to my (untrained) ears.

I believe my rig is just exactly where I need it to be!!! I really hope to be done chasing the next better sound ----gonna relax the wallet and enjoy the music. (for now)
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• heiney9
    edited January 2017
    25 wpc can't possibly be enough! Many veteran members here say you must have more power to create dynamics, scale and authority. I've been preaching if you have a very simple amp by some one who knows what they are doing........it's not necessary. Simple circuits, 1-2 gain stages, minimal negative feedback are all reasons why watts (other than the first watt) don't really matter.

Congrats on a fantastic amp from, in my mind, the best SS amp designer there is.

H9

P.s. Always wanted to try an M2 since it's transformer coupled. Special Jensen transformers.
  • WagnerRC
    These amps kick **** and compared to the pass line is a friggen bargain for sure.

Enjoy that combo
  • WagnerRC
    My 30 watt xa amp kicked the **** of the 500w mf preamp. Totally different power
  • tonyb
    LOL....I think Bob you had some bad juju going on with that MF integrated.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vcwatkins
    Outstanding. Congrats @dhart86 !
    Any differences in soundstage?
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • tonyb
    edited February 2017
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Outstanding. Congrats @dhart86 !
    Any differences in soundstage?

He can't answer that, his nuts are still under the couch somewhere. :)

However I do have a question, your using JRIVER straight into the pre....no dac in the mix ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    Tony his sig says:

Main Rig:
    HTPC (J River) >
    PS Audio Perfectwave MKII Dac
    Joule Electra LA 150 MK II
    Belles 150 A
    Harbeth C7 ES3
  • tonyb
    That would be great Brock, if I could see sigs, but I can't for some reason.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    Really, no sigs? That's weird. Can you see dead people?
  • vcwatkins
    tonyb wrote: »
    That would be great Brock, if I could see sigs, but I can't for some reason.
    Edit Profile>Signature Settings
    Make sure "Hide signatures always" near bottom is unchecked.

z2z4a5jcdaja.png
  • tonyb
    I've done that....no dice. Thanks for the suggestion though. I've just come to accept the fact, not a biggie.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's