lightman1 Posts: 10,775
    edited January 2017
    I can't find any black paint.
    I think black would look sharp as well.
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited January 2017
    F1nut wrote: »

Steve, you can remove the plate around the drivers, but the bezel material is glued to the cabinet.

This will increase the degree of difficulty to achieve an acceptable job. I am like you, anything less than perfect would make me nuts.

To me a speaker should do its best to become invisible. The Walnut is pretty during the day and when friends are over. When it is just us in the evening I have zero interest in seeing the speakers.

The Walnut looks great. To my eye they would look even better if everything else were a matte black.

I would like to add that I get I seem to be in the minority on this color deal. When I am in the room in the evening listening to radio, tv/movies or whatever it may be the last thing I want is for a speaker to try to attract attention to itself. I am in the family room now and with just a soft light accent I cannot see one of my monitor 7's S2' and the other one is mostly in shadow. Neither one attracting attention to themselves.

Good call on the Clarity caps Jesse. Amazing difference over the Daytons.
    Post edited by littlewoodboats on
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,038
    I generally agree with both of you, inasmuch as I'd prefer the black to the graphite.

I also shared the pictures with my wife & asked her thoughts. And to envision it "more" black in front.
    She didn't care for the idea.

I think Polk is dancing an interesting dance between the general public who's searching to up their game in the audio market, with WAF also being part of the equation & those that Have A Clue(tm) about what sounds good, other things be d@mned.

I don't envy the decision makers.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Tough market at this price point. Maybe keeping as much universal as possible lowered the material costs.
  • I had an opportunity to listen to the S55 tower speakers and the S15 bookshelf speakers today at Fry's.

I was REALLY impressed by the S55 tower speakers. The source material I listened to was "Adele: Live at the Royal Albert Hall" Blu-ray. Nice full sound with great bass for a tower speaker of its size. I can only imagine what the S60 tower speakers must sound like! But considering how much I enjoyed listening to the S55 tower speakers the S60's are now on my must-have list!

I was quite impressed with the build quality of the S15 speakers. They are heavy! TBH, the sound coming from them did not blow me away, but perhaps that was due to the source material, since I was only able to listen to local FM radio via a Yamaha Aventage receiver. There wasn't much for me to complain about (maybe a tiny bit muffled) but they did not blow me away like the S55's did. I will still definitely pick up the S20 bookshelf speakers though when I get around to buying the S60 tower speakers.

Now, I REALLY want to hear the S35 center channel speaker. I am a bit concerned by its size. I am afraid that I may find it underwhelming.

But, as of right now, my plan is to have a 5.0 set of Signature series speakers by the end of the year.

• D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    General consensus when we showed a black front with the walnut boy to people was "why have a brown walnut color, looks the same as the black one"

This is pretty entertaining. When I showed you guys pictures of the black ones initially a lot you thought they looked "cheap and tacky" to paraphrase in a more concise and nicer way. Then you saw them in person and you opinions changed.

Now that we showed you this one we are having the same response curve. You will have to see them in person.
  • D2Lo
    BobbyMcGee wrote: »
    I had an opportunity to listen to the S55 tower speakers and the S15 bookshelf speakers today at Fry's.

I was REALLY impressed by the S55 tower speakers. The source material I listened to was "Adele: Live at the Royal Albert Hall" Blu-ray. Nice full sound with great bass for a tower speaker of its size. I can only imagine what the S60 tower speakers must sound like! But considering how much I enjoyed listening to the S55 tower speakers the S60's are now on my must-have list!

I was quite impressed with the build quality of the S15 speakers. They are heavy! TBH, the sound coming from them did not blow me away, but perhaps that was due to the source material, since I was only able to listen to local FM radio via a Yamaha Aventage receiver. There wasn't much for me to complain about (maybe a tiny bit muffled) but they did not blow me away like the S55's did. I will still definitely pick up the S20 bookshelf speakers though when I get around to buying the S60 tower speakers.

Now, I REALLY want to hear the S35 center channel speaker. I am a bit concerned by its size. I am afraid that I may find it underwhelming.

But, as of right now, my plan is to have a 5.0 set of Signature series speakers by the end of the year.

Nice! Glad you dug them. Personally I think the S35 can keep up, but some prefer the S30. Some of it comes down to application. If you are space constrained sometimes the S35 is the only way to go. If you have a cabinet with a slot for a center you can go S30.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    D2Lo wrote: »
    General consensus when we showed a black front with the walnut boy to people was "why have a brown walnut color, looks the same as the black one"

This is pretty entertaining. When I showed you guys pictures of the black ones initially a lot you thought they looked "cheap and tacky" to paraphrase in a more concise and nicer way. Then you saw them in person and you opinions changed.

Now that we showed you this one we are having the same response curve. You will have to see them in person.

Mike, call me a bit confused at this point. Is the bezel and driver plate the same color on the black and walnut speakers or not?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• D2Lo
    It is the sam finish (polished high gloss), not the same color. They are pure black on the black ones and graphite grey on the brown walnut.
  • F1nut
    Thanks Mike.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

I can only imagine who you asked judging by that comment. Maybe ask us next time.....hint, hint.

President of Club Polk

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825

Nice! Glad you dug them. Personally I think the S35 can keep up, but some prefer the S30. Some of it comes down to application. If you are space constrained sometimes the S35 is the only way to go. If you have a cabinet with a slot for a center you can go S30.

I was concerned too. As it turns out, it was not necessary.
    I have not heard the S30 (BestBuy, answer your pager please), but the speaker that I replaced with the S35 is similar in driver complement, so it's probably a fair comparison. My .02
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • D2Lo
    F1nut wrote: »

I can only imagine who you asked judging by that comment. Maybe ask us next time.....hint, hint.

Yeah, but you probably wear brown shoes and belt with black pants though... :-)

You will just have to trust me that this is better.

• D2Lo
    polrbehr wrote: »

I was concerned too. As it turns out, it was not necessary.
    I have not heard the S30 (BestBuy, answer your pager please), but the speaker that I replaced with the S35 is similar in driver complement, so it's probably a fair comparison. My .02

Cool, good to hear.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    Hey D
    Will the walnut be available through dealer distributions
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • D2Lo
    They will be available to all Pro Source dealers exclusively.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    Well I just had a look and listen of the Signature line. OH man I am in awe of how great these sounded on a smaller Onkyo receiver. Thank you D2Lo!

The dark walnut is amazing and blends well with the front bezel of the speaker.

So I have my Sony 5700ES up for sale so I can get an Oppo. Well Mr. Oppo will now have to wait for a pair of S60 in Walnut. My co-worker Pete who got a listen with me today just put his dirt bike up for sale. I made a new Polk junkie today :)

So now I am back in my warehouse with my RTi4 and some Rush.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    We're just gonna have to see and hear these in our own homes. Hint, hint.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • mrloren
    xsmi wrote: »
    We're just gonna have to see and hear these in our own homes. Hint, hint.

I wish but not today, I would have put up with the wrath of the wife if these were in stock in Walnut. it would have been Visa time.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    That was for D2Lo. Hahaha.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • txcoastal1

Thanks for the info, at least I know we can go to @dskip for walnut
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165

What is a Pro Source dealer and how does anyone locate one? Polk also used to list Custom Installers on the website. Now, when I search on my zip, the 10 closest dealer locations to me are Best Buy and The Home Depot?

The Home Depot didn't have the Signature series in any finish. :p
  • mrloren
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Bummer DSkip is not in CA.

I liked the walnut and the way it blends well with the rest of the speaker. Awesome speaker and WAF should be high on these.

errr now I have to wait for walnut.
  • txcoastal1
    mrloren wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Bummer DSkip is not in CA.

I liked the walnut and the way it blends well with the rest of the speaker. Awesome speaker and WAF should be high on these.

errr now I have to wait for walnut.

I know dskip has regional shipping available

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    I may be in the minority, but I love the look of the walnut/gray combo. Need to try to get my eyes on an actual set sometime.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • mrloren
    edited January 2017
    stangman67 wrote: »
    I may be in the minority, but I love the look of the walnut/gray combo. Need to try to get my eyes on an actual set sometime.

I saw them in person today, Oh man sweet! If Polk could have sold them to me I would have busted out the Visa and taken the wrath from the wife. Trust me they look 10X better in person.

For a matching stain it would be Old Masters dark walnut.
  • D2Lo
    9hnjr8xc53iz.jpg
    I am digging my new set up.

Great pic! Loving the set up!
  • And they sound sweeeeeet.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • D2Lo
    edited January 2017
    And they sound sweeeeeet.

Most important part :smile:

By the way, that pic has been making its way around our offices today. They look like they were designed for that set up.