Polk Signature Series Official Discussion

13468930

Comments

  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,578
    Well.....black would look nice with Walnut.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 5,082
    Just noticed that even if the grills are on, you'd still be able to see the gray legs from the sides below the power port.
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 2,211
    Looked at some of the signature series last night with the wife at a BB.

    Only had the black finish one's and not a fan of that color.

    Sound wise, the setup/demo system was not very good which is not unusual at a BB.

    Would like to see some with the walnut finish.
  • D2LoD2Lo Posts: 353
    Best Buy will only be carrying the black.

    The graphite grey goes great with the brown walnut. It makes it feel much more premium. You need to see it in person. Here are some new lifestyle shots we finished up this week.

    827ahwkg6wd6.jpeg
    yjtoumo8nche.jpeg
    hhha8mis4ycr.jpeg
    20hhxe7eqm01.jpeg
    yzymkem0i07y.jpeg


    Michael DiTullo
    Chief Design Officer
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,434
    Sorry Mike, I don't agree.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • I am with Jesse on this one. If desired could a purchaser remove the pieces so they could be painted Black?

    Could the average individual remove and reinstall the face plate without breaking it?
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,434
    So, I just read Mike's response in another thread about the color in which he states the bezel and driver plate is the same color on the black and walnut versions. Hmmmm......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,434
    I am with Jesse on this one. If desired could a purchaser remove the pieces so they could be painted Black?

    Could the average individual remove and reinstall the face plate without breaking it?

    Steve, you can remove the plate around the drivers, but the bezel material is glued to the cabinet.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 10,430
    edited January 2017
    I can't find any black paint.
    I think black would look sharp as well.
  • littlewoodboatslittlewoodboats Posts: 808
    edited January 2017
    F1nut wrote: »

    Steve, you can remove the plate around the drivers, but the bezel material is glued to the cabinet.

    This will increase the degree of difficulty to achieve an acceptable job. I am like you, anything less than perfect would make me nuts.

    To me a speaker should do its best to become invisible. The Walnut is pretty during the day and when friends are over. When it is just us in the evening I have zero interest in seeing the speakers.

    The Walnut looks great. To my eye they would look even better if everything else were a matte black.

    I would like to add that I get I seem to be in the minority on this color deal. When I am in the room in the evening listening to radio, tv/movies or whatever it may be the last thing I want is for a speaker to try to attract attention to itself. I am in the family room now and with just a soft light accent I cannot see one of my monitor 7's S2' and the other one is mostly in shadow. Neither one attracting attention to themselves.

    Good call on the Clarity caps Jesse. Amazing difference over the Daytons.
    Post edited by littlewoodboats on
  • tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 661
    I generally agree with both of you, inasmuch as I'd prefer the black to the graphite.

    I also shared the pictures with my wife & asked her thoughts. And to envision it "more" black in front.
    She didn't care for the idea.

    I think Polk is dancing an interesting dance between the general public who's searching to up their game in the audio market, with WAF also being part of the equation & those that Have A Clue(tm) about what sounds good, other things be [email protected]

    I don't envy the decision makers.
  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 2,036
    Tough market at this price point. Maybe keeping as much universal as possible lowered the material costs.
  • I had an opportunity to listen to the S55 tower speakers and the S15 bookshelf speakers today at Fry's.

    I was REALLY impressed by the S55 tower speakers. The source material I listened to was "Adele: Live at the Royal Albert Hall" Blu-ray. Nice full sound with great bass for a tower speaker of its size. I can only imagine what the S60 tower speakers must sound like! But considering how much I enjoyed listening to the S55 tower speakers the S60's are now on my must-have list!

    I was quite impressed with the build quality of the S15 speakers. They are heavy! TBH, the sound coming from them did not blow me away, but perhaps that was due to the source material, since I was only able to listen to local FM radio via a Yamaha Aventage receiver. There wasn't much for me to complain about (maybe a tiny bit muffled) but they did not blow me away like the S55's did. I will still definitely pick up the S20 bookshelf speakers though when I get around to buying the S60 tower speakers.

    Now, I REALLY want to hear the S35 center channel speaker. I am a bit concerned by its size. I am afraid that I may find it underwhelming.

    But, as of right now, my plan is to have a 5.0 set of Signature series speakers by the end of the year.

  • D2LoD2Lo Posts: 353
    General consensus when we showed a black front with the walnut boy to people was "why have a brown walnut color, looks the same as the black one"

    This is pretty entertaining. When I showed you guys pictures of the black ones initially a lot you thought they looked "cheap and tacky" to paraphrase in a more concise and nicer way. Then you saw them in person and you opinions changed.

    Now that we showed you this one we are having the same response curve. You will have to see them in person.
    Michael DiTullo
    Chief Design Officer
  • D2LoD2Lo Posts: 353
    BobbyMcGee wrote: »
    I had an opportunity to listen to the S55 tower speakers and the S15 bookshelf speakers today at Fry's.

    I was REALLY impressed by the S55 tower speakers. The source material I listened to was "Adele: Live at the Royal Albert Hall" Blu-ray. Nice full sound with great bass for a tower speaker of its size. I can only imagine what the S60 tower speakers must sound like! But considering how much I enjoyed listening to the S55 tower speakers the S60's are now on my must-have list!

    I was quite impressed with the build quality of the S15 speakers. They are heavy! TBH, the sound coming from them did not blow me away, but perhaps that was due to the source material, since I was only able to listen to local FM radio via a Yamaha Aventage receiver. There wasn't much for me to complain about (maybe a tiny bit muffled) but they did not blow me away like the S55's did. I will still definitely pick up the S20 bookshelf speakers though when I get around to buying the S60 tower speakers.

    Now, I REALLY want to hear the S35 center channel speaker. I am a bit concerned by its size. I am afraid that I may find it underwhelming.

    But, as of right now, my plan is to have a 5.0 set of Signature series speakers by the end of the year.

    Nice! Glad you dug them. Personally I think the S35 can keep up, but some prefer the S30. Some of it comes down to application. If you are space constrained sometimes the S35 is the only way to go. If you have a cabinet with a slot for a center you can go S30.
    Michael DiTullo
    Chief Design Officer
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,434
    D2Lo wrote: »
    General consensus when we showed a black front with the walnut boy to people was "why have a brown walnut color, looks the same as the black one"

    This is pretty entertaining. When I showed you guys pictures of the black ones initially a lot you thought they looked "cheap and tacky" to paraphrase in a more concise and nicer way. Then you saw them in person and you opinions changed.

    Now that we showed you this one we are having the same response curve. You will have to see them in person.

    Mike, call me a bit confused at this point. Is the bezel and driver plate the same color on the black and walnut speakers or not?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • D2LoD2Lo Posts: 353
    It is the sam finish (polished high gloss), not the same color. They are pure black on the black ones and graphite grey on the brown walnut.
    Michael DiTullo
    Chief Design Officer
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,434
    Thanks Mike.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,434
    General consensus when we showed a black front with the walnut boy to people was "why have a brown walnut color, looks the same as the black one"

    I can only imagine who you asked judging by that comment. Maybe ask us next time.....hint, hint.

    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • polrbehrpolrbehr Posts: 2,362
    D2Lo wrote: »
    BobbyMcGee wrote: »
    Now, I REALLY want to hear the S35 center channel speaker. I am a bit concerned by its size. I am afraid that I may find it underwhelming.

    But, as of right now, my plan is to have a 5.0 set of Signature series speakers by the end of the year.

    Nice! Glad you dug them. Personally I think the S35 can keep up, but some prefer the S30. Some of it comes down to application. If you are space constrained sometimes the S35 is the only way to go. If you have a cabinet with a slot for a center you can go S30.

    I was concerned too. As it turns out, it was not necessary.
    I have not heard the S30 (BestBuy, answer your pager please), but the speaker that I replaced with the S35 is similar in driver complement, so it's probably a fair comparison. My .02
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?


    http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • D2LoD2Lo Posts: 353
    F1nut wrote: »
    General consensus when we showed a black front with the walnut boy to people was "why have a brown walnut color, looks the same as the black one"

    I can only imagine who you asked judging by that comment. Maybe ask us next time.....hint, hint.

    Yeah, but you probably wear brown shoes and belt with black pants though... :-)

    You will just have to trust me that this is better.

    Michael DiTullo
    Chief Design Officer
  • D2LoD2Lo Posts: 353
    polrbehr wrote: »
    D2Lo wrote: »
    BobbyMcGee wrote: »
    Now, I REALLY want to hear the S35 center channel speaker. I am a bit concerned by its size. I am afraid that I may find it underwhelming.

    But, as of right now, my plan is to have a 5.0 set of Signature series speakers by the end of the year.

    Nice! Glad you dug them. Personally I think the S35 can keep up, but some prefer the S30. Some of it comes down to application. If you are space constrained sometimes the S35 is the only way to go. If you have a cabinet with a slot for a center you can go S30.

    I was concerned too. As it turns out, it was not necessary.
    I have not heard the S30 (BestBuy, answer your pager please), but the speaker that I replaced with the S35 is similar in driver complement, so it's probably a fair comparison. My .02

    Cool, good to hear.

    Michael DiTullo
    Chief Design Officer
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,555
    Hey D
    Will the walnut be available through dealer distributions
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • D2LoD2Lo Posts: 353
    They will be available to all Pro Source dealers exclusively.
    Michael DiTullo
    Chief Design Officer
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,049
    Well I just had a look and listen of the Signature line. OH man I am in awe of how great these sounded on a smaller Onkyo receiver. Thank you D2Lo!

    The dark walnut is amazing and blends well with the front bezel of the speaker.

    So I have my Sony 5700ES up for sale so I can get an Oppo. Well Mr. Oppo will now have to wait for a pair of S60 in Walnut. My co-worker Pete who got a listen with me today just put his dirt bike up for sale. I made a new Polk junkie today :)

    So now I am back in my warehouse with my RTi4 and some Rush.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,416
    We're just gonna have to see and hear these in our own homes. Hint, hint.
    2-channel
    Yaqin MC-30L, Marantz SA8005, Denon DVD 3900, Sony C69ES CD Changer, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Klipsch KG-4, Monster Cable throughout.
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,049
    xsmi wrote: »
    We're just gonna have to see and hear these in our own homes. Hint, hint.

    I wish but not today, I would have put up with the wrath of the wife if these were in stock in Walnut. it would have been Visa time.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

    Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

    Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

    Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,416
    That was for D2Lo. Hahaha.
    2-channel
    Yaqin MC-30L, Marantz SA8005, Denon DVD 3900, Sony C69ES CD Changer, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Klipsch KG-4, Monster Cable throughout.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,555
    D2Lo wrote: »
    They will be available to all Pro Source dealers exclusively.

    Thanks for the info, at least I know we can go to @dskip for walnut
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!