papatom Posts: 137
edited December 2016 in Speakers
Greetings all and Happy Holidays!

My current setup is:

Polk Signature S55 Fronts
Polk Signature S35 Center
Polk Signature S15 Surrounds
Velodyne DPS-10 Subwoofer

Room dimensions are 17x20 and 7' high. Budget is no more than $800 or so.

My Velodyne DPS-10 is going on 12 years old in the coming months. Ever since we moved into the new house last year, I'm unsure if my sub has what it takes to fill my room since its dramatically bigger than the room in my old house. In addition, I've been having some flaky issues with the amplifier on it; sometimes it doesn't turn on, turns off on it's own, etc. I've been looking at SVS and had my eye on the PB-2000 OR...I'll bite the bullet and possibly do dual PB-1000's. I would like to know, if anyone with experience with either of these subs can tell if I'm on the right track of thinking with this.

Obviously, I'm looking for improved bass/sound compared to what I have and to properly fill the room. Also, if someone could tell me the difference between ported and non-ported; what's the benefits, pros/cons, etc. that would be helpful!

Many, many thanks to everyone!
Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500

Comments

• honestaquarian
    Options
    Well like I've been saying all over this forum (*which is essentially echoing what they are saying in the HI-Fi rags*)
    Two (*or more if possible*) smaller subs can do a far better job of spreading the bass out evenly in the room than one big one.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    I would go for the PB-2000. In six months you'll find some excuse for a second one
  • papatom
    Options
    If I were to buy a PB-2000, wife would not let me get a 2nd one...guarantee that lol.
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    Then get the 16" if only one ;)
  • papatom
    Options
    Willow wrote: »

Haha, I wish. That would probably be way overkill, plus wife wouldn't allow me to spend that much.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    papatom wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »

Haha, I wish. That would probably be way overkill

No such thing.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Better to ask for forgiveness than permission....you can blame it on me and Club Polk :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,518
    Options
    B stock svs sb13u... Take advantage of all the people who traded it for the 16.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Don't discount Polk DSW550 subs, they perform well above their price point, and you can get 2 of them with your budget.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • papatom
    Options
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Don't discount Polk DSW550 subs, they perform well above their price point, and you can get 2 of them with your budget.

I saw those, but figured people would scald me for mentioning anythung ither than svs, hsu, etc., lol.

But it is an attractive sub.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    It appears you want this for HT, so you would likely be happier with a ported sub. A single DSW660 will do the job as your room really isn't that big.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• honestaquarian
    Options
    I have a small living room and an even smaller bedroom and I use two Polk subs in each.It isn't just MORE bass,it's BETTER bass that I get using more than one.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,555
    Options
    I have a small living room and an even smaller bedroom and I use two Polk subs in each.It isn't just MORE bass,it's BETTER bass that I get using more than one.
    Depending on the configuration they can be used to cancel or enhance certain frequencies which does make mo'better. I run two in opposite corners of my 12×15 room. 1 Cerwin Vega CVT 300 15" and 1 CV CVT 200 12". 15" ran as LFE. And the 12" in the rear for rear surround bass.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    It appears you want this for HT, so you would likely be happier with a ported sub. A single DSW660 will do the job as your room really isn't that big.

I ran two dsw500's for home theater and they were awesome for the money. One of polks best subs.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

Honestly, I think even 1 DSW550 would be fine - I can still vividly recall how much output that had in a basement HT. But since the OP mentioned getting two, I figured they were now $399 each it would fit his $800 budget.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Two (*or more if possible*) smaller subs can do a far better job of spreading the bass out evenly in the room than one big one.

I've got a Salk 12 incher on the way . . . Cannot wait, and prolly gonna roll with 2 when I realize 1 is not enough!!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »

I've got a Salk 12 incher on the way . . . Cannot wait, and prolly gonna roll with 2 when I realize 1 is not enough!!

Personally, I would just order two now. It's not that one is not enough but it's just so much easier incorporating two for overall output and seamless integration with the mains. How large is the room? Can't go wrong with Salk and Rythmik.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • GlennDog
    Options
    Thorton, that's my conundrum
    The room is not that large, maybe 19 x 13 w/8 foot ceilings with three hallways
    I'm thinking with the 3 hallways, that's my gateway to the second sub
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Thorton
    Options
    I know exactly what you're talking about. That's not too big of a room. 1 - 12" may be enough. It all comes down to placement and the room itself. Are you using any room acoustic software to aid in the integration? If not, I highly recommend it. You can get there by ear alone but the software definitely speeds up the process and confirms your hearing for perfect integration.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • papatom
    Options
    Thorton wrote: »
    I know exactly what you're talking about. That's not too big of a room. 1 - 12" may be enough. It all comes down to placement and the room itself. Are you using any room acoustic software to aid in the integration? If not, I highly recommend it. You can get there by ear alone but the software definitely speeds up the process and confirms your hearing for perfect integration.

Do you know of any good room acoustic software to use? I've never used any, but always a first for everything!
  • Thorton
    Options
    I use REW. It's a free download from the REW site or Hometheater shack. You'll need to buy a calibrated mic for about $100 and use your laptop. There is a learning curve for this. However, there is an abundance of information on how to measure/set-up and use/analyze this software correctly. A number of people use it on this forum. I believe a few people also use Omnimic which is around $300. XTZ is another for around $330.

These type of software's greatly assist setting up speaker and subwoofer locations in addition to when you add acoustic treatments.
  • GlennDog
    Options
    My Integra pre/pro has Audyssey MultiEQ . . . I'll start with that and see if that blends the sound well
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    The last sub I had that effortlessly filled my HT needs was an SVS 20-39 PCi. If it were me, I would look into a PC-2000: https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials/products/pc-2000-black-ash-vinyl-outlet
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited December 2016
    Options
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I heard years ago that HSU was behind the outlaw subs
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    I heard years ago that HSU was behind the outlaw subs
    They had a hand in the design
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • papatom
    Options
    I don't know about you guys, but I believe things happen and occur for a reason.

I was watching TRON: Legacy last night and noticed two things with my Velodyne...

1. I hear a buzzing noise coming from it and 2. I hear a "chattering" noise from somewhere within the cabinet. Remember, this thing is over 11 years old so I have a feeling that it's starting to approach its last leg.

I've been reading all of your comments and digesting it all. I love hearing suggestions, opinions, etc. and I know at the end of the day - it's all what I like to hear. I think I'm going to order the two PB-1000s' and the one PB-2000 and see which plays better with my system. Start from there. I have friends that use SVS subs and can swear up and down on them and hail them as the best things since sliced bread.
  • papatom
    Options
    Also one more question - what is the real difference between a ported sub vs. sealed sub? Do you use one or the other based upon specific needs or room configurations?

Many thanks!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • papatom
    Options
    voltz wrote: »

Thank you!