Polk Signature Series Official Discussion

Comments

• D2Lo wrote: »
    Thanks rpf65! We have been getting a lot of positive response from the line from social media as well as retailers. CEDIA went really well for us.

Thought you all might like to see what we are listening to this week. :-)
    3nr3z6lv3hs5.jpeg

Disconnect the dimensional tweeters on those 2s, and they'll improve quite a bit
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    And have Dave @westmassguy redo your crossovers and make you a better cable ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    Nice to see the a small waveguide used on the tweeter. This really should be an industry standard as they have some great benefits and no negatives, IMO.
    WLDock wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    OTOH, the ELAC room at AXPONA was full...so much so that many said they would come back when they can get a good seat. Surprising... given the MEGA BUCK rooms at a large show like that. There's a market for affordable yet good sounding speakers!
    Andrew Jones always draws a sizeable crowd. He's a real gentleman as well.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    nbrowser wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Michael, that is one of the least desirable SDA's. Not worth listening to, IMO.

Hey now...I own that exact model...and find them to outperform the more modern speakers in the house....won't name the model but they are in the bedroom...upgrades to come mind you.

Sorry Ken, no offense meant.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    edited September 2016
    D2Lo wrote: »
    Thanks rpf65! We have been getting a lot of positive response from the line from social media as well as retailers. CEDIA went really well for us.

Thought you all might like to see what we are listening to this week. :-)
    3nr3z6lv3hs5.jpeg

The fact that you guys are actually listening to SDA towers is making me nervous. Do I need to start saving my pennies?

BTW, I've never like the aesthetics of ELAC's. They just look cheap to me.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    These really seem to be competition for the ELAC Debut series, not Jone's Uni-Fis, IMO.
    Someone needs to do that comparison. If they can hang there, or better them; mission accomplished.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203
  • xsmi
    S55 are at my local Best Buy. I haven't had the opportunity to go check them out yet though.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2016
    nguyendot wrote: »
    6198as-FwML._SL1500_.jpg

This is what the tower looks like with the grille on.

I've been trying to get it out of my head what speakers these slightly remind me of... I remembered...The Swans S600SE! They are more rounded of course.

62323.jpgs-l500.jpg

g107SiGS60-F.jpgg107SiGS60-o_NoGrille.jpg

Both are cool if one is looking for something with a little different design from the norm.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    Thought you guys might like this video describing the design inspiration that the team was looking at when we worked on this line. Some great historical ads in it as well:

https://youtu.be/hp2HhFWmr6k
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Thanks, really enjoyed that video.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    edited September 2016
    Changing the topic a little... I really like the curved edges and the black looks really good. However, I also think the curved edge calls out for some natural wood grain to show off. Any chance of seeing other finishes available in the future (ie, cherry or maple)?

My wife might let me buy a pair for the family room if they had the nice warm look of natural wood.

... Of course I'd have to get rid of about three pairs of speaker I have sitting around before she would agree.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    skirl wrote: »

... Of course I'd have to get rid of about three pairs of speaker I have sitting around before she would agree.

Okay, dish! :)
  • D2Lo
    edited September 2016
    skrol wrote: »
    Changing the topic a little... I really like the curved edges and the black looks really good. However, I also think the curved edge calls out for some natural wood grain to show off. Any chance of seeing other finishes available in the future (ie, cherry or maple)?

Thanks @skrol , all I can say at this time is not at this time :wink: but good to know there would be interest if we hypothetically did that.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922

Thanks @skrol , all I can say at this time is not at this time :wink: ...

You, sir, have a future in politics.

;)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Thanks @skrol , all I can say at this time is not at this time :wink: ...

You, sir, have a future in politics.

;)

and at the same time its like" I cannot confirm nor deny" we are working on natural wood finishes....
  • jawhog
    jawhog Posts: 444
    Are the s15s $229 each or for the pair? I'm seeing it both ways. Even the Polk product page is sort of hard to tell . Press release said $239 for the pr, onecall has them $229/pr. Best Buy eBay has them listed at $229 each and they just responded in a msg through eBay that it is not a mistake.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited October 2016
    Will these eventually replace all the lower end lines?

Not the Rti or Lsi obviously, but there is a hodge podge of lower end polks that are frankly just too many numbers and letters!

In fact, Please Polk eliminate all the lower end models, and have JUST these, RTi and LsiM!

Do we really need a T, a Tsi, a TsiX an S, a Tsx an M and so on....lol??
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    edited October 2016
    I don't need speakers right now, but I really want to get ears on these.
    Having had experience with Monitor 10's, RTA-11T's, RTi10's, T50's, and LSiM, I'm really curious to hear how these compare, where they sit. I can say that I thoroughly enjoy the M10's/RTA-11T's and LSiM's. RTi10's just didn't work for me at all for music, unfortunately. Great for TV, but that was all.

I like the new design and I would be enthused if these perform more nicely for music than RTi/A's, because I'm always interested in affordable, aesthetically pleasing, musically biased speakers, either for personal use or for whole-hearted recommendations to friends who are looking for affordable speakers. Have a friend who just built a beach house and isn't as into home audio enough to warrant having moved on the most recent F&F for full LSiM, but would be cool if the new Signature Series proves to be a good fit. Otherwise, I've already mentioned the new soundbars to him, and plan to gift the Magnifi Mini to a close friend, and maybe to parents as well this Holiday, depending on how it goes. New lineup seems promising.
    I disabled signatures.
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    edited October 2016
    I'm helping someone assemble an HT system. However, the bias is going to be towards music (mostly stereo), with movies secondary. Her primary musical interest is classical, although she listens to other music.

Should she (and I) be looking at the Signature Series?

If so, which combination(s) of components would work best for a Signature Series system biased towards music?

Do you feel that these speakers are primarily for movies, or do you feel it is good for music as well?

How does it compare with other Polk speaker systems?

How well do these speakers mix and match with other Polk speakers? For example, how well would the Signature center and rears match with LSiM fronts? How about others?

(She's upgrading from two Polk S10 speakers.)
  • adam2434
    adam2434 Posts: 995
    I think Polk did a very nice job on the design/aesthetics on these. They will stand out among the typical black rectangular boxes in this price class.

However, what’s more important is how their performance will compare to competition in this price class. I hope Polk put as much (or more) emphasis on performance as they did on design/aesthetics. I also hope they are voiced to sound fairly neutral in the high frequencies so that music sounds natural and not overly bright.

I would love to see Polk become the performance leaders in this price class. Good luck Polk!

Based on the specified weights of the speakers, they have some decent heft for this price class – that’s a good sign in terms of cabinet and driver construction.

D2Lo, do you have any photos, renderings, exploded views, etc. of the driver, cabinet, and crossover construction?

I’m sure many of us would like to see the guts of these speakers.
    5.1 and 2.0 ch Basement Media Room: Outlaw 975/Emotiva DC-1/Rotel RB-1582 MKII/Rotel RB-1552/Audiosource Amp 3/Polk LS90, CS400i, FX500i/Outlaw X-12, LFM-1/JVD DLA-HD250/Da-Lite 100" HCCV/Sony ES BDP/Sonos Connect. DC-1/RB-1582 MKII/Sonos Connect also feed Polk 7C in garage or Dayton IO655 on patio.
    2.1 ch Basement Gym: Denon AVR-2807/Klipsch Forte I or NHT SB2/JBL SUB 550P x 2/Chromecast Audio.
    2.0 ch Living Room: Rotel RX-1052/Emotiva DC-1/Klipsch RF-7 III/Sony ES BDP/LG 65" LED.
    2.0 ch Semi-portable: Klipsch Powergate/NHT SB3/Chromecast Audio.
    Kitchen: Sonos Play5.
  • xsmi
    xsmi wrote: »
    S55 are at my local Best Buy. I haven't had the opportunity to go check them out yet though.

I've gone in twice to see the 55's and they haven't been displayed yet. The guys I talked to at the store, said they were not aware of them being in the store so it was a stock anomaly.
  • xsmi
    Tease!!
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    Would love to see a center utilizing 6.5" drivers, like my current CS400. HOWEVER, do you have the frequency response specs for the S35? Whats the low end go down to? I do like what i'm seeing though with this line. Any in-ceiling's being thought of with these drivers to match?
    No excuses!
  • D2Lo
    edited December 2016
    I love seeing people unbox our product :-)

https://youtu.be/OAJtSB6xzRk
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Too bad the video says "hi res complaint" when it should say "hi res compliant".
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 137
    jawhog wrote: »
    Are the s15s $229 each or for the pair? I'm seeing it both ways. Even the Polk product page is sort of hard to tell . Press release said $239 for the pr, onecall has them $229/pr. Best Buy eBay has them listed at $229 each and they just responded in a msg through eBay that it is not a mistake.

It's $229 for the pair, not each. They're sold as a pair. They're also $199.99 for the pair currently on Amazon.
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    @D2Lo, are these (the entire S Series, I mean) going to be available in the outer reaches of the NY/metro area? It's kind of frustrating that no one around here has them yet. Other than North Haven CT, no other Best Buy will have them until 1/11.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/