Magnifi One Soundbar turns on/off randomly...

Since I bought it (a year or so ago) my Magnifi One Soundbar will randomly turn itself on and off while I'm using it. I have it connected to my TV through an Optical cable and in the middle of watching something it will just decide to turn off and I have to manually turn it back on (and usually have to rewind whatever I'm watching a few seconds because I've missed something now). It's been doing this basically since I got it (don't know why I didn't return it... silly me!). Anyway, I've since resorted to just turning it off and not using it but that backfires because I'll be watching something (using my TV speakers) and out of nowhere the soundbar will turn itself on at MAX VOLUME and scare the crap out of me, my friends, even the poor dog will jump out of her bed, lol.
It's really bothering me now because I just got a new TV and for whatever reason, even when I turn off my TV, my cable box will still play it's audio through the soundbar, so I turn the soundbar off, HOWEVER, my soundbar will then, a few hours later, decide to turn itself on and last night it scared the crap out of me and my neighbours at 5am when it starts blaring the newscasters on TV at full volume... I had to resort to unplugging the thing at this point :(

Answers

• Hello,
    Welcome! I believe others have found that increasing the level of the signal coming into the bar cures this auto on/off problem.
  • Randi
    Randi Posts: 3
    Hello,
    Welcome! I believe others have found that increasing the level of the signal coming into the bar cures this auto on/off problem.

Thanks for the reply. How would one "increase the level of the signal"?
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Check for poltergeists.
  • Randi
    Randi Posts: 3
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Check for poltergeists.

that was my first instinct.
  • Increase level is not an answer.
  • Increase level of signal is your answer Kenneth? Seems like a lot of people are having issues with this POS, and your answer is a general "others have found that increasing the level of signal into the bar has cured this problem"? How about Polk address the actual issue with instructions to a real solution. Recall this thing if it's been so problematic. Give us a step by step "how to" if it's solvable. You have a lot of people having the same issues with the same model, and lame answers like that from a moderator that's no help at all. Kenneth, why don't you explain how one would increase the signal? I as well as others are using optical, but seems to be same issue with HDMI. How do we get this to work consistently? It's been better as a paperweight than for sound since I received it.
  • Hello,
    I can certainly understand your frustration, although that isn't an excuse for some of your comments. The best source for information concerning this problem is with Polk's CS department. I'll send your email address directly to someone who can help solve your problem.
  • Randi wrote: »
    Since I bought it (a year or so ago) my Magnifi One Soundbar will randomly turn itself on and off while I'm using it. I have it connected to my TV through an Optical cable and in the middle of watching something it will just decide to turn off and I have to manually turn it back on (and usually have to rewind whatever I'm watching a few seconds because I've missed something now). It's been doing this basically since I got it (don't know why I didn't return it... silly me!). Anyway, I've since resorted to just turning it off and not using it but that backfires because I'll be watching something (using my TV speakers) and out of nowhere the soundbar will turn itself on at MAX VOLUME and scare the crap out of me, my friends, even the poor dog will jump out of her bed, lol.
    It's really bothering me now because I just got a new TV and for whatever reason, even when I turn off my TV, my cable box will still play it's audio through the soundbar, so I turn the soundbar off, HOWEVER, my soundbar will then, a few hours later, decide to turn itself on and last night it scared the crap out of me and my neighbours at 5am when it starts blaring the newscasters on TV at full volume... I had to resort to unplugging the thing at this point :(

Try sonos
  • Fixed my issue by simply removing battery from unused Polk remote it stopped doing it. Put a fresh battery into remote still isn’t doing it. I figured my low battery remote was just being a **** cause it was about to die (took me 3 weeks to figure it out)
  • When I turn off the Polk Magnify Mini it will turn itself back on within a minute. Just installed it yesterday.
  • robeaux
    robeaux Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I can certainly understand your frustration, although that isn't an excuse for some of your comments. The best source for information concerning this problem is with Polk's CS department. I'll send your email address directly to someone who can help solve your problem.

My DBS1is cutting it self off every 10 minutes or so. Can you direct me to a person with POLK CS who can help me fix this issue?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Send an email to: Ken.Carter@soundunited.com first thing tomorrow.
  • WDEagle
    WDEagle Posts: 4
    Fixed my issue by simply removing battery from unused Polk remote it stopped doing it. Put a fresh battery into remote still isn’t doing it. I figured my low battery remote was just being a **** cause it was about to die (took me 3 weeks to figure it out)

I did the same thing. Replaced battery and still had the problem. Took battery out of Polk remote and everything seems fine now. Time will tell.

• WDEagle
    WDEagle Posts: 4
    WDEagle wrote: »
    Fixed my issue by simply removing battery from unused Polk remote it stopped doing it. Put a fresh battery into remote still isn’t doing it. I figured my low battery remote was just being a **** cause it was about to die (took me 3 weeks to figure it out)

I did the same thing. Replaced battery and still had the problem. Took battery out of Polk remote and everything seems fine now. Time will tell.

Soundbar has worked flawlessly since I disabled the Polk remote.
  • I removed my batter and the sound bar still proceeded to shut off within 10 minutes. Is there a fix for this problem?
  • Sweendog
    Sweendog Posts: 1
    I find it funny, that when a user posts a question looking for an answer on the manufacturers fourm, the manufacturer doesn't take the opportunity to address said question on their own fourm.
  • Cosmo2
    Cosmo2 Posts: 1
    I bought a MagnifiMini a 6 weeks ago. Works fine except when I shut it off. Within a few minutes, it turns itself on. Then after a while, it turns itself off. This cycle continues indefinitely when I'm not watching TV. Spoke to Sony (my tv) who said the TV does not send out any signals that would do this. Called Polk who had me try a few things but the problem continued. They suggested I exchange my MagnifiMini which I did. Same problem with the newer one. Called Polk again. They had me try some more things, but the problem continued. They said they would send me a new sound bar directly. Did not hear from them in 2 weeks, so I emailed them twice over week's time. No response. I called them again to get an update. Have not heard from them. They have extremely poor customer service where I have to always follow-up. Anyone have any suggestions? I am incredibly frustrated!!!
  • DIEabolic
    DIEabolic Posts: 1
    Oh my God people. JUST TURN THE VOLUME ALL THE WAY TO LOW. Problem solved.
  • LeeSoFL
    LeeSoFL Posts: 118
    ^^^ now there's a real problem solver.
  • NYKing
    NYKing Posts: 5
    My polk soundbar was turning itself off/on, changing inputs, raising volume randomly...driving me crazy! I finally figured out the issue...the infrared sensor on the soundbar got super sensitive for some reason (it was fine for a year) and is now picking up signals from other sources around me (I live in an apartment building). I fixed the issue by draping a small thick towel over the front of the soundbar. That blocked the sensor and fixed the problem but unfortunately, that means I could no longer use the remote. At least the soundbar is no longer scaring the bejeezus out of me!