New 705's. I am afraid they will tip over some day. Any ideas for stabilizing the base?

Trevorj800
Trevorj800 Posts: 10
edited November 2016 in Speakers
I know that any really good solution to stabilizing these things will also be likely to ruin the aesthetic, but I am more practical-minded, and occasionally clumsy. I want to find a long-term solution to making sure these things don't tip over. Ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Welcome to Club Polk!

I have never used the 705s but it might be useful to get better spikes for the bottom. I am sure a good set would stabilize well.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • You're worried that they will tip over on a flat surface, after being spiked? It would take a lot of force if you've spiked them correctly (make sure you have them ratcheted to be flat, if you set any one side higher than the others than it could be unstable).

Do you have kids that will be running into these? I have 705s, but I have not worried about them around my 18 month old.
  • Spiked? They are well-ratcheted and stable on their rubber feet. I have no children, but I do enough damage on my own. Maybe I'm worrying too much.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    The rubber feet pull off. There are spikes underneath.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    But shouldn't you only spike them when on carpet, not on a hard floor? I find the rubber feet worked well on a hard floor.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Get better stands and fill them with lead or sand to give them weight.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    I understand your concern , they feel a bit top heavy. Luckily mine haven't tipped with 3 little monkeys living in the house
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    The 705's are meant to be wall-mounted to sound their best and be most stable. It's also the only way to be sure they won't tip.

These wall mounts would work perfectly. You just install this little guy on the wall with a couple of drywall screws, and then remove one of the 705 feet and thread the speaker on. Piece of cake. Just don't forget to backthread the jam nut.

6yhayyn1yhc5.jpeg
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Scott & Tony are having all the fun!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tonyb
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Get better stands and fill them with lead or sand to give them weight.

He's talking about the floorstanders dude. Sheesh someone's hitting the nog early!

LMAO....your probably right. Too much vino too early can do that to ya.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Just razzing ya. I had a couple beers during the game. Whole family is off for the holiday oh my...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    msg wrote: »
    The 705's are meant to be wall-mounted to sound their best and be most stable. It's also the only way to be sure they won't tip.

These wall mounts would work perfectly. You just install this little guy on the wall with a couple of drywall screws, and then remove one of the 705 feet and thread the speaker on. Piece of cake. Just don't forget to backthread the jam nut.

6yhayyn1yhc5.jpeg

Wait, what??
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    msg wrote: »
    Just don't forget to backthread the jam nut.

That's what she said! :p
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    Keep the liquor cabinet locked so the 705s can't get into it.
  • I have a tile floor. They are ratcheted well and I should keep the rubber feet on, I think. I am looking for a low-tech solution...some sort of mechanism that will widen the base somehow. (Since there are posters in this thread that are writing with cocktail in hand, you might understand my concerns about some tipsy person bumping into one of them).
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Build an electric fence around them. No drinks in my hands.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Jesse is the forums designated driver.
  • This all is too high-falutin for me. I have concrete walls and I will most likely forget to backthread my jam nuts. Any low-tech solutions?
  • tonyb
    Don't know of any low tech solutions, but you can buy after market outriggers for them.

The only low tech solution I can think of is.....lower the alcohol content of the drinks you serve. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • What I do is place one 705 on my left and one on my right.
    I then turn up the volume and hang on to them.
    I lock the door when I leave. :#
  • My 705's are sitting on thick padded carpet, and even though spiked they are not the most stable. That's said I have not had any issues, and I don't really worry about it. Get your spikes/feet set and you should be fine. Unless they are near a walkway, and could be ran into.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Right....I have mine spiked on carpet, and I think it would take a very large force to tip them. Nothing my toddler or cat could manage.

I am not an expert on designing outriggers or something like you may need to supplement the stability, but someone here may have an unvoiced idea still.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited November 2016
    You're strictly worried about your own self tipping them over? Not a child or pet?

I have never even touched my speakers on accident. Do you have unexpected seizures or some other medical condition? No? Don't walk near your speakers if you're drunk would be my solution.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    DSkip wrote: »
    How did that get past censors?

Shhhh, just go with it.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall wrote: »
    You're strictly worried about your own self tipping them over? Not a child or pet?

I have never even touched my speakers on accident. Do you have unexpected seizures or some other medical condition? No? Don't walk near your speakers if you're drunk would be my solution.

I don't really drink. I'm accident prone though. I once broke my contrabass on an escalator and almost knocked an old lady down when it plowed into her. Since then, I'm extra cautious.
  • how do you like the 705's vs the real thing in a contrabass?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Trevor!!! HAHAHA! That was the best! More stories please!!! A whole thread of them, like a weekly column!
    Trevorj800 wrote: »
    I don't really drink. I'm accident prone though. I once broke my contrabass on an escalator and almost knocked an old lady down when it plowed into her. Since then, I'm extra cautious.
    On a more serious note, I know the 705's seem little top heavy, but how often do you come into that close of proximity with them? It does take a bit of doing to get them to the tipping point. Rubber feet on carpet maybe not so good, but since you've got them spiked on tile...

Indeed, some good discussion and ideas on this thread by @ocezam that @zarrdoss posted - seems exactly like what you'd be looking for for some added peace of mind, with a range of options/cost
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    PS ~ welcome to the forum, great sense of humor, and congrats on 705's B)
    I disabled signatures.