New 705's. I am afraid they will tip over some day. Any ideas for stabilizing the base?

2»

Comments

• how do you like the 705's vs the real thing in a contrabass?

Do you mean how does contrabass sound on the 705's? I just got them a few days ago and I haven't formulated an opinion yet.
  • msg wrote: »
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    PS ~ welcome to the forum, great sense of humor, and congrats on 705's B)

Okay, this is what I was looking for. I can take it from here. Thanks.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Trevorj800 wrote: »
    I don't really drink. I'm accident prone though. I once broke my contrabass on an escalator and almost knocked an old lady down when it plowed into her. Since then, I'm extra cautious.

PFB? Zatchu? B)
  • Just wondered how you like the bass on the 705's.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    When you say contrabass, is it a contrabass clarinet?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    xsmi wrote: »
    When you say contrabass, is it a contrabass clarinet?

I assume string bass.

FWIW, I'm going to play a concert this weekend sitting near a contrabass clarinetist.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    I fully understand the concern. My two older sons never touched my RTA11TLs. Son number 3 was different and liked to squeeze behind them. He tipped one over once just missing his brother.

My solution was to strap them to the floor. You can get a roll of metal strap from Home Depot or Lowes in the plumbing dept. Connect one end to the base of the speaker where the spikes screw in, then attach the other end to the floor with a screw. Use multiple straps if needed. Probably not the best for sonics but kept the kids safe.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    skrol wrote: »
    I fully understand the concern. My two older sons never touched my RTA11TLs. Son number 3 was different and liked to squeeze behind them. He tipped one over once just missing his brother.

My solution was to strap them to the floor. You can get a roll of metal strap from Home Depot or Lowes in the plumbing dept. Connect one end to the base of the speaker where the spikes screw in, then attach the other end to the floor with a screw. Use multiple straps if needed. Probably not the best for sonics but kept the kids safe.

I'm looking at the "Trade in Your Kids" option.

Any idea what a blonde 3 year old fetches these days?
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    skrol wrote: »

I'm looking at the "Trade in Your Kids" option.

Any idea what a blonde 3 year old fetches these days?

You'll get more money parting him out.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,309
    I feel terrible laughing at that.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Good Lord...that's so messed up, but funny.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant