Outriggers on LSiM705s

Ocezam
Ocezam Posts: 52
edited September 2013 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
If you happened to read my thread about my new LSiM705's you might remember I was less than pleased with the stability of the speakers. I think a $3,000 pair of speakers should come with outriggers, or at least make them available separately from the original manufacturer. Anyway, about the only place I could find generic outriggers was SoundCity:

soundocity.com/problems.html

I purchased a pair of their P/N SEC7 and a pair of their P/N SEC9 as the plinths of the LSiM's are wider at the rear than the front. After installation, and if I had it to do over, I would simply get two pair of P/N SEC7. I believe they would look better and be just about as stable.

I was able to keep from modifying the speakers in any way by purchasing 8 nuts and bolts to go through the holes where the original spikes were. I could undo this modification in about 5 minutes and the speakers would be as new. They are still adjustable from the top like the stock speakers are.

These speakers are VERY stable now. I'd say they are close to impossible to tip by a dog or child now.

HPIM1648.jpg

HPIM1635.jpg

HPIM1639.jpg

HPIM1642.jpg

HPIM1643.jpg

HPIM1651.jpg

HPIM1652.jpg
"The ear is not a microphone, the brain is not a tape recorder, and measurements are limited in describing subjective quality." Nelson Pass

2 Channel:
XDA-2, Modified Jolida JD502P (2 ea), Polk LSiM705
Theater:
Onkyo TX-NR3009 with 9 active channels, Emotiva XPA-5, MartinLogan Encore TF Center Channel, Polk M70 Mains, M40 Wides, M30 Heights, FXi A4 Surrounds, Custom built 18" sub, Mitsu 73" DLP
Post edited by Ocezam on

Comments

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2013
    One would think all tall and narrow top-of-the-line speakers would include some pretty high quality outriggers. However, I guessd it is just another part of the audio game to keep prices competitive yet leave it to the customer to "upgrade" the feet, isolation base, the jumpers, wire, etc. Anyway, nice job!

I want to make a set myself but will probably end up buying a set. Right now my Left speaker is on an unsteady stoop.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,055
    edited September 2013
    It's nothing new for floor standers. Most of them have this issue even much higher end models. So if they included them, you couldn't have done this cool upgrade. Now your speakers are your own.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    edited September 2013
    I would have paid the extra coin for a more elegant looking solution, but that's just me. Glad they took care of the problem for you.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Ocezam
    edited September 2013
    I would have paid the extra coin for a more elegant looking solution, but that's just me. Glad they took care of the problem for you.

Me too. You have a source for that solution?

"The ear is not a microphone, the brain is not a tape recorder, and measurements are limited in describing subjective quality." Nelson Pass

2 Channel:
    Theater:
    Onkyo TX-NR3009 with 9 active channels, Emotiva XPA-5, MartinLogan Encore TF Center Channel, Polk M70 Mains, M40 Wides, M30 Heights, FXi A4 Surrounds, Custom built 18" sub, Mitsu 73" DLP
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,525
    edited September 2013
    Ocezam wrote: »
    Me too. You have a source for that solution?

I woulda talked to Toolfan66 aka Larry. I am sure he could come up with something sexy....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited September 2013
    Interesting read, as I have the same speakers but had not considered the center of gravity issue.

John, can u elaborate on what you'd use?
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2013
    I would have removed one of that bases and taken it to a metal shop and had a one piece 1/2 inch aluminum base fabricated so they would bolt cleanly into the original holes and allow for the stock feet to be re-installed. This base would have moved the feet 3 inches to the sides and the rear ones positioned two inches further to the rear. The entire base would have a 1/2 inch rounds lip that would be visible from the sides, then flare out at the feet. Likely, I would have gone for a high polish finish on them or perhaps a very fine brushed look....

I doubt there is anything out there that is off the shelf that I would find worthy of being on these speakers.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Ocezam
    edited September 2013
    I doubt there is anything out there that is off the shelf that I would find worthy of being on these speakers.

I happen to agree. These get rid of my problem, and will work for now.

I was kicking around the same idea as yours, replacing the plinth completely, but I was thinking about granite or marble. I have time to think about it now...

2 Channel:
    Theater:
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    edited September 2013
    I appreciate the op's solution to his problem and wonder if that would work just fine for medium to high pile carpets where the brackets wouldn't be as visible?
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • WLDock
    edited September 2013
    I would have removed one of that bases and taken it to a metal shop and had a one piece 1/2 inch aluminum base fabricated so they would bolt cleanly into the original holes and allow for the stock feet to be re-installed. This base would have moved the feet 3 inches to the sides and the rear ones positioned two inches further to the rear. The entire base would have a 1/2 inch rounds lip that would be visible from the sides, then flare out at the feet. Likely, I would have gone for a high polish finish on them or perhaps a very fine brushed look....
    Given the $200-$300 cost of the nicer looing outriggers going the DIY route makes sense. Also, you bring up a great idea in using Polk's spikes as they adjust from the top and look nice and conservative top and bottom also.
    lsim707spikes2_2.jpglsim707spikes_2.jpg
    Then as you stated leave them brushed or polish up the spikes and the plate that is cut to a larger contour/ shape of the original plate..or one could go with a different shape:

IMG_5621-franco-serblin-ktema-speaker-spikes-small.jpg

Sounds like a great cost effective idea that could look awesome if done right.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    edited September 2013
    Given the $200-$300 cost of the nicer looing outriggers going the DIY route makes sense. Also, you bring up a great idea in using Polk's spikes as they adjust from the top and look nice and conservative top and bottom also.
    lsim707spikes_2.jpg
    Then as you stated leave them brushed or polish up the spikes and the plate that is cut to a larger contour/ shape of the original plate:
    IMG_5621-franco-serblin-ktema-speaker-spikes-small.jpg

Sounds like a great cost effective idea that could look awesome if done right.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited September 2013
    Glad you found that picture WL... the idea is to not replace the original base, but rather to bolt the mod onto the stock unit, and set the feet up much like your picture illustrates.

• WLDock
    edited September 2013
    Yes, I get what you are saying (Too lazy to photoshot) and think its a great idea. Now I want a set of the towers! Would add to the sweetness of the look...and effective mod in one.

... after convincing myself a 703/706 combo with the 15" DIY sub would get the job done.
  • nhhiep
    nhhiep Posts: 877
    edited September 2013
    what is wrong with the stock that come with my 707? do you have kids playing football in your living room or something? sorry, but the aftermarket one in this thread looks ugly. it just doesn't go well with the beautiful lsim
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,422
    man, that sounds like a beautiful mod you've described, John. would you keep them aluminum color, or dark?
    I haven't checked close enough - anyone know what the existing bases are made of, and how aluminum might affect sound with the powerport being directly above?

I disabled signatures.