The Turntable Retirement Project

DarqueKnight
DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
edited November 2016 in Going Digital
Introduction

Those who have been reading me for a while know of my love/hate relationship with vinyl and how I have longed for the day when I could digitize my record collection without a sacrifice in quality. That day has arrived!

TeresTT-TopFront_zpsdqlfcw1b.jpg
Figure 1. Beautiful - yet so high maintenance - I finally figured out how to quit you.

The only reason I have a turntable is because I have 282 albums for which digital versions do not exist. I recently acquired the last "missing piece" in my record collection, a copy of Miles Davis' Classic Records 45rpm 4 LP set of "Kind of Blue", therefore, I have no plans to buy any more phonograph records. Prior to this recent vinyl acquisition, I had not used my turntable since December of 2015. That was the month in which my dCS Debussy DAC was installed. I used to set aside time each week to listen to records, but I basically lost interest in listening to records after the Debussy's installation.

Digital Transferral Method

NuWave%20Phono%20Converter%20Front%20Black-s_zpsz7yo7ys3.jpg
Figure 2. PS Audio's NuWave Phono Converter.

A PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter will be used to transfer analog recordings to PCM (FLAC format) and DSD (DSF format) digital files. Vinyl Studio software will be used to edit (title, split albums into separate tracks, add cover art, ect.) and cleanup (remove pops, ticks, etc.) the transferred digital files. I have been encouraged by some reports, by some hardcore vinyl enthusiasts, that the digital versions of their albums sounded better than the records.

The output of my Pass Labs XP-25 phono preamp will be fed into the NuWave Phono Converter, and will be converted into either 16 bit/44.1 kHz PCM, 24 bit/96 kHz PCM or single rate DSD. Which file format is used will depend on the sound quality of the album. I expect 16/44.1 will be used most often because there are not a lot of sonic "gems" among the 282 albums to be transferred. The digital output from the NuWave will be fed via USB connection into a laptop running Windows 7 and Vinyl Studio digital editing software.

I can't wait to have my record collection at my fingertips just like my CD and SACD collection!

But What Of Beauty?

I'm keeping my turntable and accessories, as well as my records (just as I'm keeping my CDs and SACDs)...because you just never know. However, I don't foresee a time when I would want to go back to flipping sides every 22 minutes, spending hours wet cleaning records, and just the basic physical annoyance and inconvenience of handling records...compared to having a high quality digital transfer on a high-speed, low-noise music server that is accessible from every room of my house at the press of a button.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    I always look forward to your product reviews. Thank you
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Fun and rewarding project. The NPC and Vinyl Studio make it (almost) easy to get good results; but I can only imagine how fantastic the rips will sound with your turntable and phono pre.

I have not tried DSD - only 24bit/96kHz PCM - but will be giving it a shot on a few recent 45rpm buys.

Good luck and have fun!
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Sacrilege, but I wish you well. :)
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2016
    Thank you for your well wishes. However, one person's sacrilege can be another person's liberation. :)

I'm not looking forward to the many hours of drudgery involved in transferring 282 albums, but the end result will be well worth the investment in time (and money). I'm thankful that my record collection is small (only 450 albums and 60 7" singles), and that it is 282 albums to transfer rather than 2820. Prior to going through my albums to see which ones needed to be digitally transferred, I expected to find only about 50. As I was cross checking record titles with the master list of albums in my Bryston BDP-2 digital player, the number went well past 50 and kept getting higher.

2Ch%20Front-dCS-s_zpsyoxg6sim.jpg

I have already planned how the components will be arranged on top of my audio cabinet in my post-analog future. The dCS U-Clock will occupy the space the turntable now occupies. The turntable will reside in the attic section reserved for unused audio components. Records will be boxed and stored in a cool and dry guest bedroom closet.

In the unlikely chance that I run across a record I want for which a digital version does not exist, I'll send it to a digital transferral service.
    Post edited by DarqueKnight on
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    just be glad your not P-man or you could never transfer them all.

But Vinyl is therapeutic DK and you will miss it ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • pongshi wrote: »
    Sacrilege, but I wish you well. :)

What he said
  • voltz wrote: »
    But Vinyl is therapeutic DK and you will miss it ;)

I agree that vinyl is therapeutic, but I don't and I won't miss it at all. To reiterate:
    The only reason I have a turntable is because I have 282 albums for which digital versions do not exist. I recently acquired the last "missing piece" in my record collection, a copy of Miles Davis' Classic Records 45rpm 4 LP set of "Kind of Blue", therefore, I have no plans to buy any more phonograph records. Prior to this recent vinyl acquisition, I had not used my turntable since December of 2015. That was the month in which my dCS Debussy DAC was installed. I used to set aside time each week to listen to records, but I basically lost interest in listening to records after the Debussy's installation.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Ok you convinced me, but your Turntable is too cool to sell and/or not use B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Sitting in the cheap seats watching your digital side progress, it was obvious to me this day would come. Digital has come a long way in just the last 5 years alone.

Rock on Ray, looking forward to your review of the new toy and comparisons in sound quality.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited November 2016
    I would like to suggest a couple of hybrid SSD drives.
    You could then sell those LPs and be rid of them.

I also find the KOB ending interesting. Best sounding KOB and DSOTM
    are a search for the Holy Grail. By 2009, the original tapes has lost some
    of the highs. A digitized speed corrected version showed up that had
    better drums but...
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • Dibs on the NuWave Phono Converter when you're through! ;)

I know you'll do a thoroughly stellar job of conversion. Best of luck!

Mike
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    PS Audio cut the pricing on the NuWave from $1899 to $999 earlier this year. I think it's been out about two or three years, but it's normal for PS Audio to heavily discount when they're clearing out a product when production runs are over.
  • Yes, the NuWave Phono Converter has been discontinued. The NuWave PC came to market in during the fall of 2013. PS Audio said sales had slowed to a trickle during the last year and they were getting increasing inquiries about a phono stage without an ADC. They have a tube-based replacement phono stage in development. It is scheduled to be released in 2017.
  • stuwee
    stuwee Posts: 1,508
    Well Hello Darque, I wish you well and am very happy you decided to keep your wonderful turntable...just in case. Enjoy what you have that makes you a happy camper but, remember, thousands of years from now, our great, great x10 children or another alien traveler will find our Cd's/DAC's and what not and say WTF is this? Then they find a Lp and put a needle to it and say...Ahhh!!

All music is made from a vibration not 1's and 0's, it's only clear to some of us...Peace, Craig
    Thorens TD125MKII, SME3009,Shure V15/ Teac V-8000S, Denon DN-790R cass, Teac 3340 RtR decks, Onix CD2...Sumo Electra Plus pre>SAE A1001 amp>Martin Logan Summit's
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2016
    ***UPDATE - Day One With The NuWave Phono Converter***

My PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter and I got off to a good start. I ripped one track each from two of my favorite R&B albums from the 1970s: Dennis Coffey's "Back Home" (1976) and former Tower of Power lead vocalist Lenny Williams "Love Current" (1979).

Analog%20DungeonCMP-s_zpsho0u2hpq.jpg
    Figure 3. The analog dungeon. I'll be toiling away part-time for the next couple of months transferring 282 LPs to digital. I'm glad I had the foresight to wet clean all my records years ago and put them in archival sleeves.

The XP-25 phono stage was placed on top of the stereo cabinet for easier access to its rear panel.

My vinyl ripping setup consists (for now) of the following:

PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter
    Pass Labs XP-25 Phono Preamplifier
    Ortofon MC Windfeld Moving Coil Cartridge
    Teres Audio Model 255 Turntable
    Teres Audio Reference II Motor
    PS Audio PowerBase Isolation Platform
    AudioQuest LeoPard Tonearm Cable
    Signal Cable Analog 2 2-Meter RCA Interconnect
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo Dual Counduit USB Cable
    Dell XPS M1330 Laptop Computer Running Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit OS
    Vinyl Studio Vinyl Ripping Software

I am going to try a higher performing interconnect between the NuWave and the XP-25 to see if that brings any improvement. I might roll in another analog to digital converter also.

Straight out of the box, the NuWave produced DSD single rate digital files that sounded very close to the LPs. The major differences were in terms of image weight, high frequency detail, and ambient retrieval. PCM files recorded at 96 kHz, 192 kHz, and 176.4 kHz were not as impressive, and indeed the manual states that 96 kHz is the performance sweet spot for ripping vinyl. However, 176.4 kHz files converted from the DSD file via Vinyl Studio software outperformed 96k, 192k, and 176.4k files directly from the NuWave. I expect the performance gap to narrow as the NuWave breaks in over the next week. PCM files allow editing such as pop and click removal while the only editing of DSD files is with metadata (cover art and production info) and trimming off the lead in and lead out grooves of a track.

I have no interest in the NuWave's phono preamplifier section, but I'll eventually put it up against the XP-25, just out of curiosity. I owned a PS Audio GCPH phono preamp nine years ago until I moved up to the Pass Labs Xono phono preamp.

NPC-StackCMP-s_zpseqgnoxmw.jpg
    Figure 4. The NuWave's construction quality, fit and finish was excellent.

Analog-SuchGoodSound-s_zpsjmcjipaf.jpg
    Figure 5. It appears that my day of liberation from the archaic abuses of vinyl are almost over. I'm going out to celebrate once it's all over. Such Good Sound, but such high maintenance!

Laptop-1stRipCMP-s_zpsuzovhbvw.jpg
    Figure 6. Vinyl Studio software offers a high degree of functionality and value for its very modest price ($29.95). The software operates in "novice mode" until you turn the feature off. Using popup screens, the software practically talked me through the setups for making my first PCM and DSD vinyl rips. It even found cover art on the Internet after the rips were done.

The Sound

Dennis-Coffey-Back%20Home%20Cover_zpsjije6wg3.jpg
    Figure 7. Dennis Coffey's lead guitar was on many Motown hits during the 1970s.

I made digital transfers of Dennis Coffey's "High On Love" at 96k, 192k, 176.4k, single rate DSD and 176.4k down converted from the DSD file. I was not impressed with the 96k, 192k, and 176.4k transfers. They were of sufficient quality for background listening. The DSD and DSD-derived 176.4 transfers were very good. On some passages, the only difference between the LP and the DSD file was the lower volume level of the DSD file.

With the DSD transfer, Dennis Coffey's syrupy sweet lead guitar was very clear, weighty, and detailed. The synthesizer cloud surrounding the sound stage was very airy and detailed, but not to the level of the LP. The high frequencies of percussion instruments were muted and had truncated sustain and decay compared to the LP. The thick, juicy palpability of the bass drum and bass guitar were close to the LP and very satisfying.

Lenny%20Williams-Love%20Current%20Cover_zpszr9ra9kc.jpg
    Figure 8. Digging for old gold. So much music formerly locked up in plastic, non-portable grooves...now on the verge of digital liberation. Let freedom ring!

The DSD transfer of "If You're In Need" convincingly conveyed Lenny Williams' famous gospel-tinged wailing vibrato and came close to the LP. Overall clarity and detail were very good. The pace, rhythm and timing of the DSD transfer was better than the LP. The DSD-derived 176.4k transfer was a close second to the DSD transfer. I didn't bother with direct 96k, 192k, 176.4k transfers for this track.

• Some History

The NuWave did not fare too well in some early reviews. Early feedback from reviewers precipitated two rounds of design changes and performance enhancements. A shootout between the NuWave and six other ADCs was published on Michael Fremer's Analog Planet blog in March of 2015:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/analog-digital-converter-shootout-which-sounds-best#UPt2Bl4Dw4p1ouo7.97

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/analog-digital-converter-files-identified-converters-profiled#EXBaSURqbDhxmxzR.97

I did a blind test comparison of the seven 96k AIFF files wherein the files had been renamed and loaded into my Bryston BDP-2 music server by a patient, but non-audiophile friend. The files were the same three minute excerpt from a percussion instrument song. Files 1 and 7 had their left and right channels reversed (due to software glitches in the ADCs) and those two files were edited to swap the channels back to their correct orientations. The files requiring correction were imported into Audacity audio editor and the stereo channels were swapped. Audacity cannot save 24 bit AIFF files, it only goes up to 16 bit for AIFF. The corrected files were saved as 32 bit WAV files, then the WAV files were imported into Vinyl Studio and saved as 24 bit AIFF files.

The seven AIFF files were listed alphabetically on my music server as follows:

1. Fairie
    2. Gnome
    3. Gremlin
    4. Hyde
    5. Jekyl
    6. Pixie
    7. Sprite

The placement, size and quality (clarity, detail, etc.) of sound imaged was documented with sound stage maps and notes.

Fairie was compared to Gnome and Gnome won. Fairie was set aside.

Gnome was compared to Gremlin and Gnome won. Gremlin was set aside.

Gnome was compared Hyde and no difference was heard. It was a tie. Hyde was set aside and above Fairie and Gremlin.

Gnome was compared to Jekyl and Gnome won. Jekyl was set aside.

Gnome was compared to Pixie and Gnome won. Pixie was set aside.

Gnome was compared to Sprite and Sprite won. Gnome and Hyde were ranked in
    second place under Sprite.

Fairie was compared to Gremlin and Gremlin won. Fairie was set aside.

Gremlin was compared to Jekyl and Jekyl won. Gremlin was set aside and ranked above
    Fairie.

Jekyl was compared to Pixie and Pixie won. Jekyl was set aside and ranked above Gremlin and Fairie.

My rankings and the MSRPs of the ADCs:

1. "Sprite" - Ayre QA-9 -$4750.
    2. "Gnome" and "Hyde", - M2 Tech Joplin, 32 bit file and 24 bit files respectively - $2500, (tied for second place).
    3. "Pixie" - Channel D Seta - $1899.
    4. "Jekyl" - Lynx Hilo - $2450.
    5. "Gremlin" - PS Audio NuWave - $1895.
    6. "Fairie" - HRT Linestream - $350.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I have a GCPH and a NuWave in use because of having two turntables. Straight out of the box, the NuWave seems to have a much lower noise floor. PS Audio recommends several weeks of it being powered up before it is fully broken in and leaving it on all the time. I use the GCPH with a Technics SL1200MKII for rock and metal albums, and that is powerful. The NuWave is for more critical listening with a better turntable, and outperforms an Acoustech PH1P even though it is still relatively new. I have not used it for analog to digital conversion yet.

• My vinyl ripping setup consists (for now) of the following:

Signal Cable Analog 2 2-Meter RCA Interconnect
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo Dual Counduit USB Cable

I am going to try a higher performing interconnect between the NuWave and the XP-25 to see if that brings any improvement. I might roll in another analog to digital converter also.

I thought I was going to have to go shopping for a higher performing RCA interconnect between the XP-25, but I remembered that I have two one meter Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy CryoSilver digital coaxial cables, and that an RCA terminated 75 ohm digital coax cable works perfectly fine as a regular analog interconnect.

Swapping in the RAL cables between the XP-25 and the NuWave provided significant improvements in high frequency extension and high frequency clarity and detail, and in overall clarity and detail.

The issue with the DSD transfer being at a slightly lower sound level (1 db-C) than the LP was resolved by making recordings with the XLR outputs disconnected from the XP-30 preamp. This also significantly improved bass weight, bass articulation, image weight and tactile sensation.

The NuWave is starting to look like a keeper.

My revised vinyl ripping setup:

Holographic Mylar Turntable Belt
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy CryoSilver S/PDIF Digital Coaxial Cables Used a
    Analog Interconnects
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy CryoSilver Dual Counduit USB 2.0 Cable
    PS Audio Perfectwave AC-12 Power Cord

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    How much hard drive space is your entire LP collection going to take up in DSD?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • My SACD albums that I have ripped to DSD files range from 1.5 GB to 2.5 GB.

I am not converting my entire LP collection to DSD, only the ones that I don't have CDs or SACDs for. That is a total of 282 LPs out of a total of 450. I also have 60 7" 45rpm records to convert to DSD, and this comprises the equivalent of 7 albums worth of space. So, I have the equivalent of 289 albums to convert to DSD.

Using the higher range figure of 2.5 GB per album: 289 x 2.5 GB = 722 GB.

My CD collection (945 CDs) and SACD collection (30 SACDs) take up a total of 674 GB on a 1 TB solid state drive.

The 1 TB solid state drive in my Bryston BDP-2 digital player will be replaced with a 2 TB solid stage drive, which will be backed up with three external 2 TB hard drives. My entire music collection will then be at my fingertips.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Have you gotten into ripping your Bluray and DVD's so you can also have those all at your fingertips? Full unadulterated Bluray ripped files are massive.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2016
    No, but I'm planning to. I'm not in a rush to do it because I don't watch movies a lot, a few hours a month compared to a few hours a day with listening to music.

My DVD and BR collection would take up 14.9 TB of hard drive space. I am planning on a server with 5 6 TB drives. I only buy a few titles a year, so a 30 TB server with 15 TB of free space will last a very long time.
  • vcwatkins
    Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to post. Thanks also for the ADC shootout link.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2016
    ***Finished First Batch Of Vinyl Rips***

I tackled the most tedious part of project first: ripping my 7" 45 RPM singles (39 total) and 12" 33-1/3 RPM and RPM singles (62) total. I also ripped two whole albums. I first counted 60 7" 45 RPM singles, but, as I was going through them again I found that I had digital versions for 21 of them. These 101 records totaled 12 hours and 20 minutes of music. There was an additional 14 hours and 40 minutes spent entering metadata (title, artist, etc.) for each song file, searching for album cover artwork, backing up the files, editing out the lead in and lead out groove sound, and transferring the files to my Bryston BDP-2 digital player. The total processing time was 26 hours, inclusive of 12-1/3 hours of recording time.

I started ripping in earnest after the NuWave had 120 hours of warmup and burn in time (the 5th day after installation. However, I noted on the first day that the NuWave produced DSD64 files that sounded very close to the LPs. The recordings made on the following three days gradually improved in clarity and detail. I didn't hear any difference or improvement between recordings made on the 4th and 5th days.

Imagine my surprise, when, on the eighth day, after I sat down for a listening session of the ripped DSD files, I was hearing things, and feeling things, that I didn't recall hearing and feeling from the records. The degree of tactile sensation, bass rumble and growl, bass articulation, and vibrations impinging on my chest, armrests, and the floor were never generated by the LPs. But...but...but...a digital file is only an approximation of the analog event...right? And we all know that an approximation can never be as good at the thing it approximates...right? Well, in this case the approximation sounds better than the original thing.

Luke-ThatsImpossible_zpswthtpzz4.jpg
    Figure 9. This distressed turntable cultist banged his face into a brick wall and then threatened to jump if I didn't recant my heretical assertion that my DSD rips sound better than the original LPs.

My DSD rips were made with the loudspeakers turned off. Recording was monitored through headphones. Therefore, my turntable, tonearm, cartridge, and stylus were not viciously pounded by the copious amounts of bass generated by my 63-1/2" tall loudspeakers. For the first time, I was hearing a digital approximation of what my turntable could sound like if it didn't have to deal with mechanical vibrations, and the resultant electrical noise, generated by the loudspeakers. Therefore, when I A/Bed the LP and its derivative DSD file, I was listening to a sampled version of the turntable's cleaner, unmolested analog signal compared to its acoustically compromised analog signal. For best sound, turntables really shouldn't be in the same room loudspeakers. The picture below provides some insight into what my delicate little turntable deals with. Isolation platforms, cones, pucks and other isolation devices help a lot, but in the end, the loudspeakers are going to have their pound of flesh sound.

2Ch%20Front-dCS-s_zpsyoxg6sim.jpg
    Figure 10. My turntable sits between a jackhammer and a pile driver. It's earned a restful retirement.

Now I understand why those five and six figure turntables weigh a ton and have suspension systems designed by NASA.

A couple of listening notes:

Bradford Marsalis, "Lament" 33-1/3 RPM single (from "Renaissance" LP) compared to DSD64 rip - the DSD's sound was clearer and more detailed, acoustic bass notes had more string overtones and plucking sounds, with more wood sound from the body, piano notes had more weight, clarity, and detail, piano runs had more speed and better transient response, the sax was clearer with more brass and reed sound. Switching back and forth between the DSD and the record showed a slight veiling of the piano and sax images.

Joe Sample "Ashes To Ashes" 33-1/3 RPM single (from "Ashes To Ashes" LP) compared to DSD64 rip - the record had a more airy sound around cymbals. The DSD rip was better in every other aspect: more overall clarity and detail, more bass weight, more tactile sensation, more bass clarity and articulation, more inducement to come back to listen if I am in another room doing something else.

If I had a dedicated sound proof room just for my turntable, plus a one ton granite block to bolt it to, I'm sure the turntable would win hands down in a record/DSD rip comparison...but I, like most of us, am not so fortunate.

Might As Well

Audiophile-Albums-s_zpshaenthij.jpg
    Figure 11. More work...

I have 11 audiophile-version albums, all of which have corresponding high resolution digital versions. The scope of this project was to only make digital copies of records that I don't have digital versions of...but I'm curious to hear what the rips would sound like...compared to the records...and to the DSD download versions I purchased. :)

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    ^^ Very interesting

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • DarqueKnight
    edited November 2016
    ***Sending NuWave Phono Converter Back :) ***

One of the great customer service aspects of PS Audio gear is that they allow a 30 day in-home trial of their products, and if it doesn't work out, they give a full, no questions asked refund. They even pay return shipping.

After ripping 20 hours worth of records, I decided to send my NuWave Phono Converter back...to be modified for higher performance. I read on the PSA forums that there was a modification available where the balanced outputs are converted to balanced inputs dedicated to the analog to digital converter. This mod improves the noise performance of the NPC and it will allow me to use the balanced outputs of the XP-25 phono preamp, which offer better noise performance than the unbalanced outputs.

Of course, this means that the records previously ripped will have to be re-ripped, but it wasn't a waste of time due to all I learned.

Post-Analog Audio Life

My turntable and associated electronics and cables have been moved to a guest bedroom, which has been turned into a record conversion center. This conversion project is going to take at least a couple of months, and I did not want to tie up/clutter up my living room space for that amount of time.

LP-RippingSetupFrtCMP-s_zpsrnja0kg6.jpg
    Figure 12. Deliver me from analog. My turntable is enjoying its last months of service away from the hustle and bustle, and electromagnetic fields, of the big rig. The black thing at right under the table is a PS Audio Power Plant Premier ac regenerator. In the future, when I am more dedicated to audio than I am now, I will go ahead and rip my entire record collection to DSD digital format, rather than only ripping the records that do not have commercially available digital versions.

I had some reservations about moving the turntable and associated electronics to another room and putting them on a common (noisy) household ac circuit. Power quality issues were addressed by pulling a PS Audio Power Plant Premier ac regenerator out of storage. It turned out that my concerns were unfounded as the rips made on the relocated analog system sound a little better than rips of the same records made in the two channel system. Had the reverse had been realized, I would have had to move the analog equipment back to the two channel system.

Rips made on the relocated analog gear have a little more tactile sensation, image weight, bass weight, and a little more overall clarity and detail. Images at the sides of the center area also moved a little further toward the speakers and the sense of depth was enhanced.

2CH-PostAnalog-s_zpstqt3to3e.jpg
    Figure 13. Post-analog life is great! The dCS U-Clock word clock occupies the space formerly occupied by the turntable.

2CH-DigComp-Angle-s_zpsrg01lhga.jpg
    Figure 14. Living the discless life...no needles and no lasers...I love it! That reminds me...I need to have some granite weights made for my Debussy DAC and Puccini U-Clock.

As I was in the attic pulling and setting aside the boxes for all the analog gear that will eventually be stored, it dawned on me how much of a carrier battle group assortment of equipment and accessories I had acquired just to listen to and maintain a record collection:

1. Turntable.
    2. Tonearm.
    3. Cartridge.
    4. Cartridge alignment tools.
    5. Tonearm cable.
    6. Stylus pressure gage.
    7. Phono preamplifier.
    8. Custom made holographic mylar turntable belts.
    9. Tools for making belts.
    10. Turntable motor.
    11. Record cleaning machine.
    12. Record cleaning fluids.
    13. Steam cleaner.
    14. Various types of record and stylus brushes.
    15. Stroboscopic speed adjustment tools.
    16. Archival record sleeves.
    17. Isolation platform.
    18. Isolation cones and pucks.

The improved record ripping regime:

Teres Audio Reference II Turntable Motor
    Custom Holographic Mylar Turntable Belt
    Graham Phantom II Tonearm
    PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter With Balanced Input Mod
    AudioQuest Sky Gen. 2 XLR 1m Interconnects Between XP-25 and NuWave
    PS Audio Power Plant Premier AC Regenerator
    PS Audio AC-12 2m Power Cord For XP-25 Phono Preamp
    PS Audio Premier SC 2m Power Cord For NuWave Phono Converter
    PS Audio Premier SC 1m Power Cord For Reference II Motor Power Supply
    PS Audio Statement SC 2m Power Cord For Power Plant Premier AC Regenerator
    Polk Audio UltraFocus 8000 Headphones
    Dell XPS M1330 Laptop Computer (Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit, 8 GB RAM, GPU Copper Cooling Mod, Upgrade T9500 2.6 GHz CPU, 1 TB Solid State Drive)
    VinylStudio Record Ripping Software
  • Man, I just turn on my phono pre and DAC/Amps and slap a slab of vinyl on the TT.
    I admire your tenacity.

Very cool info on the PS Audio upgrade.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited December 2016
    While my NuWave Phono Converter is being modified, I am taking the opportunity to further improve my vinyl ripping facilities. I expect to have the NPC back by the end of next week.

I ordered a small desktop PC specifically for this project, a Dell Inspiron 3250 spec'd as follows:

Intel Core i5-6400 3.3GHz Processor
    16 GB RAM
    1 TB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    Windows 7 Professional OS
    11.54" H x 3.65"W x 12.38" D
    10.63 lbs.

i325030blk_2537_zpsrk2qapmu.jpg
    Figure 15. Miracle of miracles: I was able to find a brand new Inspiron 3250 that didn't have the despicable Windows 10 preloaded...but not on Dell's website. This meant that I didn't have to spend hours scrapping Windows 10 off my hard drive and installing Windows 7.

This PC will have a minimal set of applications installed as required to support vinyl ripping and related functions. Music files will be backed up to 1 TB external hard drive connected by an eSATA cable. The full size wireless keyboard and wireless mouse used with my PlayStation 3 system will be borrowed for this project.

I considered buying a cheap 24" monitor, but then I recalled that the 32" LED HDTV in that bedroom can be used as a PC monitor via HDMI connection.

LG32inLED-TV-PC-Mon-s_zpsnj2rj4kn.jpg
    Figure 16. Such good audio editing. Testing my LG LED HDTV as a computer monitor. My Dell M1330 laptop has worked very well as a key component in vinyl ripping, but a larger monitor is monitor is much easier on the eyes and a larger keyboard is much easier on the wrists, and fingers...especially for a weeks-long project.

The further improved record ripping regime:

PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter With Balanced Input Modification
    AudioQuest Sky Gen. 2 XLR 1m Interconnects Between XP-25 and NuWave
    PS Audio AC-12 2m Power Cord For XP-25 Phono Preamp
    PS Audio Premier SC 2m Power Cord For NuWave Phono Converter
    Dell Inspiron Small Desktop PC (Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit, 16 GB RAM, Intel Core i5-6400 3.3 GHz CPU, 1TB Hard Drive)
  • DarqueKnight
    edited January 2017
    ***UPDATE-News From The Vinyl-Encoded-Music Liberation Front***

Vinyl-Dungeon-Door001CRP2-s_zpsd5abnnvt.jpg
    Figure 17. In an out-of-the-way corner of my home...wonderful music is being released from analog captivity.

When my Nuwave Phono Converter returned from being modified by PS Audio, I was bitterly disappointed to find that the gain of the new balanced inputs had been reduced substantially below the former unbalanced inputs. They said this was done to provide additional headroom for recording live sources. However, I wasn't recording live music, I was recording vinyl, which is a compressed format and does not need that kind of headroom. Now, I have to send the NPC back to have the mod reversed because I cannot use the diminished-gain balanced inputs, and the mod required that the single-ended inputs be disconnected.

Fortunately, I had already completed the transfer of my 45 rpm singles and audiophile records with the Turntable===>XP-25 ===>NPC===>Computer setup. All that was left to rip were the remaining records of average recording quality. For those records, I could dispense with the Pass Labs XP-25 phono stage because it made little difference in sound quality. Accordingly, it was put up for sale. It was snapped up in a little over four hours.

When the phono stage of the NPC ($1895) was inserted into my two channel system and compared to the XP-25 ($10,600), the XP-25 produced a much quieter background, more overall clarity and detail, more image weight, and more dynamics. The difference between them was more pronounced with excellent recordings. The XP-25 is a much more powerful unit, with a separate power supply chassis that is over four times the size of the entire NPC.

The same sonic differences were apparent when comparing the

Turntable===>XP-25 ===>NPC===>Computer, ripping chain to the

Turntable===>NPC===>Computer, ripping chain.

With either chain, since the rips were recorded with no interference from loudspeakers, the DSD rips sounded better than the vinyl version. Although I lose some resolution and background blackness with the TT--NPC--Computer chain, I gain more flexibility in input gain, which I need for a few records that were recorded at higher than average sound level. Unlike its variable gain predecessor, the Xono, the XP-25 only has three fixed gain settings at 76, 66, and 53 dB. The 66 and 53 dB settings were too low for all records and the 76 dB setting was too high for a few records. The NPC phono stage has adjustable input gain from 18 to 78 dB in 3 dB increments.

When the XP-25 was placed away from noise-inducing electronics, it was dead quiet. Its power supply was in a separate chassis. The NPC has a faint hum that is present even if there are no input devices connected or there are no other electronics nearby. This is due to the phono circuits being being affected by the power supply in the same chassis. However, the hum is not audible from the listening position.

YeOldeAnalogueDungeon-s_zpsxa7fakyv.jpg
    Figure 18. Soon I, and my music locked in torturous matrices of plastic grooves, will be free. I'm slowly working my way out like the protagonist in "The Shawshank Redemption".

I had planned to pack my records in boxes and hide them in a closet after ripping them. However, as I go through my record collection, I find that the cover notes and inner sleeve notes of many albums have a lot of interesting information. I might want to refer to those notes occasionally. Therefore, my records will continue to be stored on three closet shelves.

I had also planned to disassemble my turntable and put it in storage. However, since beginning the turntable retirement project, I have purchased four LPs, just out of curiosity. Therefore, the turntable will remain setup (similar to a museum exhibit). I have ordered an acrylic cover and base for it, similar to the one pictured below. (However, unlike the cover/base below, the cover of mine will be form-fitted to the base):

turntablecoverBLUlrg_zpsdlhflyer.jpg
    Figure 19. Trapped under plastic. My beautiful Teres No. 255 turntable will spend the remainder of its days under an acrylic cover, tucked away out of sight until I need to rip another record.

Samson_SASRK16_Steel_Studio_Rack_Stand_zps4wl0liuc.jpg
    Figure 20. The turntable, NPC, and AC regenerator will be stored on/in a (fully Dynamated) Samson rolling steel case and kept in a closet for occasional use.

Vinyl%20Ripping%20Setup%20New2-s_zpswrg2seog.jpg
    Figure 21. The reduced vinyl ripping setup.

When I initially moved the turntable to a guest bedroom, I thought I might get away with leaving its PS Audio PowerBase isolation platform in the two channel system for use with the dCS Puccini U-Clock. That didn't work. The turntable motor was transferring audible rumble through the top of the chest of drawers. Placing the turntable and motor back on their PowerBase resolved the rumble issue. I had to buy an additional PowerBase for the U-Clock.

The reduced record ripping regime:

PS Audio AC-12 2m Power Cord For NuWave Phono Converter
    Dell Inspiron 3250 Small Desktop PC (Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit, 16 GB RAM, Intel Core i5-6400 3.3 GHz CPU, 1TB Hard Drive)
    Western Digital Black 1 TB Hard Drive In Vantec External Enclosure
    LG 32LF500B 32" LED Television Used As A Computer Monitor

• vcwatkins
    edited January 2017
    Interesting re the NPC mod. After some trial and error, I settled on using the Parks Budgie SUT with the NPC for ripping (DL-103r). When not ripping, I use the adjustable Lounge Copla SUT and it sounds better than just the NPC imo. But balanced is not an option in either of those SUT's.