DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine

Comments

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    I don;t have thousands of lp's to clean but am interested just the same.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Well it seems like there's enough people so far that have interest on here and some people here in town that want one as well. So as soon as I have a number I'll pm the people on this thread who have interest. And when I reach a 100 posts I'll put up an ad in the "for sale" section.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Depending on price I may be interested.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    What a great idea!! Sonic cleaning works great on jewelry, it gets all those crevices between the stones..
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,636
    warren wrote: »
    What a great idea!! Sonic cleaning works great on jewelry, it gets all those crevices between the stones..

I'm offended ...
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I'd also be interested, depending on cost.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    I'd also be interested, depending on cost.
    Ditto here.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    ER308L wrote: »
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Your project manager?? :D

Yea this ginger guy that works in a coat closet of an office upstairs. ;-)

That ginger guy is slowly turning gray... :s

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    turning what?!?
    I still like you anyway.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Toolfan66 wrote: »
    ER308L wrote: »
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    Your project manager?? :D

Yea this ginger guy that works in a coat closet of an office upstairs. ;-)

That ginger guy is slowly turning gray... :s

Like my mom tells my dad "don't worry about it, it's falling out anyways..." :-P
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    In reference to the lifespan of the ultrasonic units. It might be worth it to source them from an American supplier if you are actually finding a high failure rate.

I have a smaller unit that I bought in 1978 and it has been used nearly every day for as long as three hours in my previous business (camera repair) and still looks and works like the day I got it.
    If anyone is interested I will note the brand next time I go over to my office.
  • oldmodman wrote: »
    In reference to the lifespan of the ultrasonic units. It might be worth it to source them from an American supplier if you are actually finding a high failure rate.

I have a smaller unit that I bought in 1978 and it has been used nearly every day for as long as three hours in my previous business (camera repair) and still looks and works like the day I got it.
    If anyone is interested I will note the brand next time I go over to my office.

Yes I have interest, I'll want to upgrade to a nicer unit one day. I honestly don't see this thing lasting more than a year or two. It works great, but for how long??
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,808
    Brian brought this by my house Saturday, we played music, swapped speakers in and out, snacked on chips and salsa..

But that's not why I'm posting, I was very pleased with this RCM, it works very well, we cleaned three used Berlin LP's I purchased sometime ago, the ultrasonic RCM cleaned it so well, you couldn't hear anything but music, no static, no pops, and clicks.

Out of all the vinyl we cleaned and played, I bet we were lucky to hear five little clicks, the big thing for me is how there was no static when lifting the vinyl off the plater.

Brian was kind enough to leave it with me so I could clean more vinyl, well I cleaned a few more Saturday night, but on Sunday I got it set up, pluged in, warming up, when I hea d the wife cussing in the basement, I went down to see what's up, and the washing machine gave up the ghost.
    It was 13 years old, but of course it quit when it was filled with water, and clothes..

Well we spent the day hunting for a new washer, I find it ridiculous that technology has taken over everything, we just wanted a basic washing machine, the one we bought was a GE, we hated it, so I took it back, did a little research, and ended up with a Speed Queen, basic, durable, built in the USA, the best part is it's just a washing machine, it cost more than some of the other fancy ones with a bunch of bells and whistles but I don't care, as long as the wife is happy with them that's all that matters..

Anyway it ruined the day I had planned to clean more vinyl.. :(
  • msg
    fantastic feedback on the RCM, Larry. I'm really interested to see this design in production. I know what you mean about the lack of static. I've noticed the same thing after cleaning on the 3D-VRCM. I'm not sure, but I think it may have something to do with the cleaning solutions.

re: the washing machine - hey, at least in the end you got something you're happy with. sucks when you have to spend that kind of money, don't feel satisfied with it, and have to look at it for 10yrs.
    I disabled signatures.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    very interesting indeed!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Fantastic contraption.

Where does one obtain a suitable motor and speed controller?
    Bel canto SETi 40
    Sota Sapphire
    Jelco SA 750
    Audio Technica OC9-MLii
    Allnic H1201
    Definitive BP 7000sc
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2016
    Fantastic contraption.

Where does one obtain a suitable motor and speed controller?

Thank you! I got the motor off of eBay its a Tsiny .06rpm worm gear motor.
    Well if you have interest tomorrow afternoon. I'll finally have a estimate ready for all the people who want one of these. That way you can have a set up to go with that motor. :smiley:
  • Im definitely not buying an Audio Desk unit!
    Bel canto SETi 40
    Sota Sapphire
    Jelco SA 750
    Audio Technica OC9-MLii
    Allnic H1201
    Definitive BP 7000sc
  • Would adding microfiber roller brushes in between the stack of records improve cleaning?

eg.http://www.elusivedisc.com/images/adsbarrel4.jpg
    Bel canto SETi 40
    Sota Sapphire
    Jelco SA 750
    Audio Technica OC9-MLii
    Allnic H1201
    Definitive BP 7000sc
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,918
    Wow, here I thought the Dawn dish soap and soft rag was the way to go. After a visit to Good Will or a nasty thrift store that's what I give them. Then hang um for a nice motorized fanning. I use now through E-Bay Pfan-Stat w/ no 5s of mixtures given out. I did see an ad from Amazon that might hit the mark for $29 w/ a stylus cleaning brush that's missing in the others. The ultrasonic machine way to expensive and takes up to much room for my 100 LPs or so.

http://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Solution-Removing-Record-Happy-Collection/dp/B0154JSY68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1463208363&sr=8-2&keywords=lp+record+cleaners

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pfanstiehl-Pfan-Stat-LP-Vinyl-Record-Album-Anti-Static-Cleaner-4-oz-Spray-/271622763973?hash=item3f3dfa75c5:g:F28AAOxyXDhSf8Py
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Would adding microfiber roller brushes in between the stack of records improve cleaning?

eg.http://www.elusivedisc.com/images/adsbarrel4.jpg

I'm sure it might help, I've seen that some other people who built there own who have done something similar.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Got my Ultra-sonic kit parts from Brian ( Thanks again) and got her put together and going to start cleaning some vinyl today B)

ktb3s62qmzws.jpg
    oth7o931bu03.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz wrote: »
    Got my Ultra-sonic kit parts from Brian ( Thanks again) and got her put together and going to start cleaning some vinyl today B)

ktb3s62qmzws.jpg
    oth7o931bu03.jpg

No problemo, glad you like it!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited July 2016
    I cleaned about 22 LP's and half of those were double albums.

1 older one seem to have a bunch of noise still but I think that is in the record permentaly. it cleaned up my Fleetwood Mac Rumors really nice, and Ramones "Rocket to Russia" was really quit between songs.

My newer MoFi Cars 180 vinyl which is semi new but played a lot came out as quiet as a CD except for the noise of the needle 1st touched down.

Need to have extra on water hand for evaporation and what stays on the records :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • msg
    Hey Brian,

I just received the kit today, and holy moly! Can't get over the quality of your build design and the parts kit - all pro, all the way, from build to packing quality. Seriously, very impressed! I have to say, I'm really glad to have gotten in on this, because there's no way I could have built anything anywhere near this nice on my own.

Great job, man, well worth the wait for the refinements you built in for v2, and again, many thanks!

d5io5ksrcbq8.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hi Brian, I'm new to the forum. I've been using a VPI 16.5 for years and have never been completely satisfied with the results. Your design looks very interesting to me. Are you still considering selling the parts as a kit?

Thanks,
    Steve
  • jonicont
    jonicont Posts: 277
    Got my unit. Fit and finish is excellent. However, it seems that the on/off switch was installed upside down for a number of us.hu5mdwz1em8r.jpg

Heated up a gallon of wash (I'm using TergiKleen) to 110F, poured it in the tank and added another 1/2 gallon of room temp wash which brought it to 96F. Pulled out a record that hadn't been played in 20 years and ran it through the RCM first.ys9f41v48fmg.jpg

Sounded pretty nice with just some scattered crackling and a click here and there. Put it through the US bath and it came out perfect!
    Also cleaned a relatively new record that inexplicably developed crackling on the first 2 songs.
    2m02o5ikomz8.jpg

Was not removed by multiple runs through the RCM. The US bath took care of that problem!
    I do a rinse on the RCM after the bath
    All in all, I'm very pleased with the product. Thanks Brian
    SDA 2BTL, VPI Prime, Soundsmith Zephyr MKIII, Rogue Ares Magnum, McCormack DNA 0.5 Gold, ARC LS-17se, Cambridge cxn v2, MIT AVT MA ic’s and speaker cables, ps audio stellar power plant 3

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,598
    That's really nice DIY right there.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • jonicont wrote: »
    Got my unit. Fit and finish is excellent. However, it seems that the on/off switch was installed upside down for a number of us.hu5mdwz1em8r.jpg

Heated up a gallon of wash (I'm using TergiKleen) to 110F, poured it in the tank and added another 1/2 gallon of room temp wash which brought it to 96F. Pulled out a record that hadn't been played in 20 years and ran it through the RCM first.ys9f41v48fmg.jpg

Sounded pretty nice with just some scattered crackling and a click here and there. Put it through the US bath and it came out perfect!
    Also cleaned a relatively new record that inexplicably developed crackling on the first 2 songs.
    2m02o5ikomz8.jpg

Was not removed by multiple runs through the RCM. The US bath took care of that problem!
    I do a rinse on the RCM after the bath
    All in all, I'm very pleased with the product. Thanks Brian

I'm glad you like it! You'll eventually get to the point where you'll never let your stylus touch a record that hasn't been ultrasonically cleaned.
  • msg
    edited April 2017
    Finally got around to building out my kit the other day. Only cleaned a few records at this point, but really enjoying it so far. Still messing with my process and need to catch up with you other guys to get settled, and do some more critical before/after comparisons. Here are a few build photos. (the heavy gauge power and ground wire shown in the top right are there just for a laugh. was in my wire supply. I didn't really try to use that for the switch. but mostly only bc I didn't have any wire nuts big enough :p )

VARIOUS
    q0d5cokjg17g.jpg

ELECTRICS TEST FIT and FINAL MOUNTING
    kahchua2enqa.jpg
    I disabled signatures.