DIY Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    A big thanks to @ER308L for pulling these kits together for us, and to @voltz for the hand holding (ha) during finishing parts and materials acquisition, cleaning solution mix, unit setup and configuration, and cleaning procedure tips. Was able to skip a lot of trial & error, which saved me a lot of time. Thanks for this opportunity, Brian - no way I would have been able to pull a DIY USRCM together on my own!
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Nice Layout of pictures Scott! Now lets get some more cleaning done :p

I'd send you box full of mine if the shipping cost wouldn't be so high.

I'm just glad I don't have as many Vinyl as Red does.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • msg
    I didn't know what to expect when I first ran the ultrasonic. I was trying to explain the project to a friend, and he said, "Sooo, you're cleaning something you listen to with something you can't hear."
    I told him to shuddup.
    Turns out it sounds a lot like this. Minus the guys buzzing about aimlessly in circles.
    clssn2pg1cky.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    edited April 2017
    ^^^^^I loved that game

Right up there with Rock'em Sock'em Robots
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    That needs an lol, as well as a like - how the heck could anyone love that game?!? We'd try it for about 5 minutes and then lose interest and start experimenting. No animals were hurt. But little brothers might have been rented out.
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    msg wrote: »
    That needs an lol, as well as a like - how the heck could anyone love that game?!? We'd try it for about 5 minutes and then lose interest and start experimenting. No animals were hurt. But little brothers might have been rented out.

5-letters my friend... BB-Gun ;)
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    OK, so we can clean records with US units...how about drying clothes too!?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4428576/Ultrasonic-dryer-shakes-clothes-halves-drying-times.html
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • msg
    That was actually a neat read. Interesting!
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    I'm waiting for Brian to figure how to dry them too ;) I have faith in you!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• txcoastal1
    voltz wrote: »

7ifa9k0nkh6h.jpg

• msg
    Speaking of Friday night...
    Welcome to the weekend!
    Clean 'em up, and crrrank it up!
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz
    edited April 2017
    I currently have no Phono amp cause mine is boxed up heading to Kev's house for a 3 week trial :) so I'm all digital for a few weeks. but I can still clean some Vinyl ;)

• msg
    You are dead to me.
    I disabled signatures.
  • voltz wrote: »

Funny you should mention that. I found these in one of the laser scrap buckets. So many possibilities. It's definitely going to be in the shape of a box, that's for sure. But I desperately need to build a new media center; I'm completely out of room. So this will have to be put on the back burner.
    1lvmnvc5abei.jpg
  • muncybob
    My GT Sonic has arrived but timing is bad. We just gutted our kitchen for a total make over and stuff is spread out everywhere...no room or time to clean. I'm just itching to do this but with crap all over the place I can't listen to anything even if it was cleaned.
    I will say the US unit is heavier than expected...a good thing I hope! I'll probably do a foil test just for giggles.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • msg
    Baaah.
    Good info on the foil test though! I didn't know you could do that. Cool.

I'm going to get the pipe thread nipple for mine today, and drain, filter, and store my cleaning fluid, since I'm waiting for some brushes. I'd like to run this test as well, since I noticed a variation in action in different areas with two records in the tank.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Would love to buy one. Your setup looks like it would hold up better than the others I've seen offered on eBay and amazon. Are you making any more to sell?
  • Yes I will be making more around August. I sent you a PM. Thanks, I agree mine are much better built then others you see out there. Even with the webbing that the 3d printed ones have they're still wouldn't survive a fall to the floor. Where as mine would put a dent in your floor. lol This next go around I've figured out a way with our lathe to accept a larger billet so it can comfortably fit an inner and outer o-ring.
  • muncybob
    It's been awhile since I put my hands on my cleaner(life gets in the way around here a lot!).

Anyhow, due to some miscalculations on my part I am finding that I need to raise the motor and rotating eye piece about 5/8". Although Brian did offer some help he seems to have vanished. I can see how to raise the motor but have no idea how to raise the other end with the pivoting "eye". If I can't figure this out I'll probably offer up my "spinner" for sale and look for other alternatives.
  • Hey, I know this is an OLD thread, and Brian, from the looks of it, is a deleted user..anyone know where I can pick up a kit like this? I want to put together a DIY ultrasonic LP cleaner of my own, without breaking the bank. Thanks for any info you guys can give me.
  • msg
    Ohhhh Briiiiiii-annnnnnn, yooo-hoooo!
    @stainless0steel2
    I disabled signatures.
  • ^Gracias^
    Ok @flyweed my plate is a little full right now. I've got my SDA 2b's I'm finishing up. And I've got this old sewing machine (don't judge) my mom wants refurbished.
    Things seem to be at a manageble point at work where I could pull off another run. I'd like to do it mid to late February. You know the time people start to get their tax returns...
    So anyone who reads this, message me so I can add you to the ever growing list. :)
    The Night is Dark and Full of Terrors
  • Brian, SO glad you are still on here. Shoot me a message on price, etc. And add me to the list. I'd LOVE to get one. Thanks much. OH and Mid to late February is perfect timing for me. :)
  • muncybob
    Just finished cleaning my final(for now) record. Took a while but I got through the 245 albums we currently have. Now I don;t have to limit myself to the "already cleaned" batch when deciding on what to play. Thanks again to Brian for helping me in my time of need :)
  • muncybob wrote: »
    Just finished cleaning my final(for now) record. Took a while but I got through the 245 albums we currently have. Now I don;t have to limit myself to the "already cleaned" batch when deciding on what to play. Thanks again to Brian for helping me in my time of need :)

Sorry I just stumbled across your comment. Thats awesome! I'm glad the green machine is hard at work.
    And anytime man always happy to help :)
  • jimf42
    jimf42 Posts: 2
    edited February 2018
    I bought the 6L ultrasonic you use, plus the Cleaner Vinyl rotater kit for 2 records. (I did not have time to build my own). The system works great. I have found no issue of the labels getting wet. I also use distilled water and PhotoFlo, but add a very small amount of Dawn dishwashing liquid. It is very gentle, particularly in the quantities we are talking about. I know a watchmaker who uses it in his ultrasonic for delicate parts, even dials. The only issue I have found is it is noisy. I set it at 36deg C and run each group of two records for 15 minutes. The ultrasonic cleaner is sold under several different names on eBay and Amazon for between about $110 and $125.
  • When I bought mine, there was an option of a 1 yr warranty for about $4...I bought it. My first one purchased on Amazon failed out of the box and I received a refund pretty quickly. I have been running my current one for several weeks and have cleaned about 75-100 records as I get a chance.

On a side note, I am seeing a number of this type of cleaners crapping out within a month or two of purchase. It is too early to tell whether there is common cause for the short lifespan or if it is a single maker as many of these are unbranded, but I would suggest keeping track of hours used so that if this happens to you, proof of usage is readily at hand for any type of return or warranty needed.

Not intended to be a thread crap at all, just something that I have run into researching the type of RCM to invest in.

On a positive note, this type of cleaner seems to beat all others in the area of static control.[/quote]

• @verb I like your idea of creating a long partial piece of all thread. Unfortunately it would be very difficult to turn on a lathe considering the length. But if I could friction weld all thread to round stock, that'd be a different story. But I don't think they want me trying that on our lathe. Lol
    https://youtu.be/-aEuAK8bsQg
  • muncybob
    OK, a "bump" to hopefully bring some of the conversation in Brian's FS thread here regarding possible mods for him to consider going forward. Some interesting thought so far on how to torque the label protectors.

Most of my labels that did get wet showed no adverse signs after dried but a few did. I do have a set of protectors that use an o-ring in each side and they are meant to be torqued together with a screw type set up(at a loss for words on exactly what it is).

You can really get it tight and no water gets in at all even under s strong stream. Using the diy set up I have from Brian(I think it was his prototype?) you cannot use that but you can get them fairly tight and there is no doubt about it, the o-rings do offer better protection.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    @verb I like your idea of creating a long partial piece of all thread. Unfortunately it would be very difficult to turn on a lathe considering the length. But if I could friction weld all thread to round stock, that'd be a different story. But I don't think they want me trying that on our lathe. Lol
    https://youtu.be/-aEuAK8bsQg

Yep agreed. Probably have to make it 3-piece. Smaller female threads at the ends of the threaded rod. And male threaded ends on the smooth parts of the rod.

Thanks for the feedback! Awesome invention!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.