Small Sealed Subwoofers?

msg
msg Posts: 9,306
I'm loosely pulling together a small home office 2ch system, and looking for a small sub to complement RT25i's probably running with an HK 3490.

Because this area is space constrained, I'm interested in small subs, 8" or so, preferably sealed. I like the driver + passive radiator designs, but my experience with subs is limited. If there are any even smaller than 8's that may fit the purpose, I'd be interested to hear about those as well.

What do you guys like for small subs for small spaces?
Room is about 10ft square.

I do not intend for this to be a serious setup for critical listening, just something to fill in the bottom end a bit, so, trying to keep the budget reasonable - read: cheap without being sloppy.

At this stage just trying to get a feel for options.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    Price range? Size? New? Used? Plenty of ported ones show up on craigslist. You can always plug the port and see how it does. I have never heard or tried these, but http://www.jamo.com/speakers/subwoofer/?sku=SUB800 is a 6.5" with two passives for $360. There are some older 8" SUB200 that are ported but do ok sealed. Sunfire also makes some 8" for around $300.
  • msg
    Used preferred, $400 or less.

What's a good low frequency spec to look for in musical subs, anyway?
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Heard good things about psw111 or dsw 440 if you want real cheap and polk. But I'm going to recommend an svs of course.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• msg
    Checking out some SVS in the outlet. I didn't realize how small the SB-1000 is - about 14/13/15. Thanks, kind of wasn't even considering anything that serious at first.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dekuda
    dekuda Posts: 756
    Deft tech supercubes3's or 2's. Sealed, high power amps and small footspace. They have two passive radiators and one woofer. Made very solid. I picked up a supercube3 at a resale shop and I could not believe how small but heavy it was. And for its size produced a lot of bass.
    HT System
    Parasound Halo A51 Amp, Marantz AV 8003 Pre, Arcam FMJ CD36 cd player, Marantz 7007 BD/SACD player,Acoustic Zen Matrix IC's, Analysis Plus Crystal Copper Oval IC's, Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables, B&W 703's Fronts, Center Martin Logan Motif hybrid, Surrounds DefTech BPX, 2 X DefTech Supercube Reference Subs, DSpeaker Antimode 8033 EQ.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Scott, check out the SVS Outlet. Awesome subs.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Those little sealed REL 8" subs are intriguing , would be interesting to see a small 8" sub shootout for music someday.
  • msg
    edited June 2016
    !#$%, guys. I did not want to get sucked into this.
    Why I thought I could get in and out of this quickly with something simple and cheap I have no idea.

Both the SB1000 and the Deftech SC2000 look good. Perfect size, nice specs, better than (I think) I need for this project. On one hand, more versatile in the long run. On the other, I originally only wanted to be in for a fraction of what these are going for. Looks like higher end Deftechs are available refurbished at similar cost.

I'll check out the REL stuff, too, thanks P2k
    pk - thanks for the info on those you mentioned. Jamo looks nice, but only 42Hz?
    yes, also considering the Sunfire SDS-8
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • dekuda
    Be creful with specs, they are not always accurate. Deftech does overstate their bottom frequency. They start -3db rolloff several hertz before their bottom line frequency. But they still hit low are relatively fast and made well and can be had used for a decent price. Good luck with your search!!
    HT System
    Parasound Halo A51 Amp, Marantz AV 8003 Pre, Arcam FMJ CD36 cd player, Marantz 7007 BD/SACD player,Acoustic Zen Matrix IC's, Analysis Plus Crystal Copper Oval IC's, Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables, B&W 703's Fronts, Center Martin Logan Motif hybrid, Surrounds DefTech BPX, 2 X DefTech Supercube Reference Subs, DSpeaker Antimode 8033 EQ.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited June 2016
    @msg

Are you ok with DIY?

I found a VERY SMALL sub using a 5 1/4" driver that did a GREAT JOB nearfield and is VERY VERY SMALL and cheap.

Here is a build of it. 2 of those placed ON THE DESK, or near your feet, and I think you would be MORE than happy.

Also doesn't need tons of power, I've seen it driven by a t-amp...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Velodyne Minivee or Microvee.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    edited June 2016
    Hard to go wrong for $89.http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sub-800-8-80-watt-powered-subwoofer--300-627
    It's ported but if you don't like the sound you can use it as an ottoman and get one of these.http://www.svsound.com/products/sb-1000
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    With a small room office rig like that and with using the RT25i's, I seriously think you'd be more than impressed with the Polk PSW111. That little sub has more than impressed me in several small-room applications. Definitely, one of the cheaper routes to go here.

I also liked the Rel T5 (8"), the Martin Logan Dynamo 700W (tiny 10") and a couple of the various DT SuperCubes. The SuperCubes lost out on quality of design and structural soundness. The ML beat the Rel on sound quality, price, build quality and versatility (down-, or front-firing). The ML felt like it was put together better (a more solid feel to it), could fill a larger room much better, if need be, and the high-gloss finish of the Rel seemed to get finger prints, smudges and dust on it if I was just standing next to it. JMHO.
  • dekuda
    edited June 2016
    Are you talking about the newer series of deftechs? because the older supercubes are very good quality in cabinet design. I just sold my Martin Logan Depth. I had it and the Deftech reference for the last 5 years. Both good subs, but the Deftech definately produce more lower bass and more spl. I have had so many subs and my Reference is staying. May get another one. SVS, Rel, HSU, Rythmik, Epic all good subs.I hear Epik went out of business :'(
    HT System
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Ahem, I think there's a Polk PSW111 for sale in the flea market. :*
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    One thing msg made note of is he's only needing to fill a small area for 2 channel music listening, plus something that won't cost a lot, $400 or less . Please correct me if I'm wrong. Eventually, I'll be adding a small sub to my computer rig to fill in the LSi9's. Hopefully the guys here can locate something nice for you msg. :)
  • mikeyb128
    Have to say my dsw 500 I had was a really nice sub. I highly recommend them. I only used it for home theater, still a great sub though.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• msg
    Hey guys, thanks for all the fantastic input on this thread for my little project! So many great recommendations. Rick is totally hooking me up on this Sunfire SDS-8 he picked up a while back, at near Karma, considering what they're going for now. I was intrigued at the time he reviewed it here, and am excited to get it in house.

Gained a bit of knowledge into some great sub offerings out there with all your contributions, and I will use this knowledge moving forward next time I need a sub. I think this Sunfire SDS-8 will be just the right fit, all around, for the project - size, cost, performance type all seem inline with what I'm looking for. Not sure how much I can say for the current owner, but gotta make compromises, somewhere I guess [jab jab :D].
    Extra points for keeping my conscience relatively pacified. This time, at least.
    Thanks Rick!
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited June 2016
    For future use to those looking for small subs, another consideration for the list is the Sunfire True Sub Super Junior - TS-SJ8. It's the smallest I came across, measuring 9" cubed, with 8" driver/opposing passive radiator design. They seem to be available for around $300+ or so, the better condition ones costing more, however may be prone to similar plate amp issues as was the larger True Sub MKII.

jbhb4eh59uhm.jpg2pl2lmjydpej.jpeg
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    Would love to get my ears on those sunfire subs. A great recommendation, I didn't even think of it. Heard great things about the super junior and true subs.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• msg
    I just received the SDS-8 pictured above from Rick.
    Thing looks brand new! Obvious that it was packed with care and attention to factory packaging detail so that I could have the "new sub" feeling for myself.

Absolute top notch transaction. Great communication, responsive to questions, honest and forthcoming with info and perspective, and just all around cool to chat with in general.

Rick, truly a pleasure working on this. Thanks for the great opportunity. Really looking forward to getting the space set up and checking this thing out, but got friggin' grown-up chores and responsibilities calling for now, arrrgh!
    I disabled signatures.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Rick88 wrote: »
    Kinda rare these days for a sub to have a class A/B amp and a big 'ol toroidal transformer. I am banking on its 500 watt rms amp, a 10" woofer and two 8" passive radiators, to work well in my living room setup.

8yl82ib6xn1b.jpg
    Man... wonder how that would sound with the VR-M50's lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    msg wrote: »
    I just received the SDS-8 pictured above from Rick.
    Thing looks brand new! Obvious that it was packed with care and attention....

Absolute top notch transaction. Great communication, responsive to questions, honest and forthcoming with info and perspective, and just all around cool to chat with in general.

Rick, truly a pleasure working on this. Thanks for the great opportunity....

Now, this just seems to be a recurring theme around here, doesn't it?!

Well done, Rick! I hope to one day find something I need that you're trying to move along.

Congrats to both of you!

• JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Looking forward to a review of the MSub Rick.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • msg
    Revisiting this thread for a review of small, musical subs.
    Anyone know how to get in touch with @Rick88 ?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Try the t-bars.

I sent him a pm once, then immediately deleted that message from my inbox, thinking I was just cleaning it out and not knowing that his reply, if he sent one, went out into space and was not able to be received by me. (I'm going to make all my sentences that long today)

• msg
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Try the t-bars.

I sent him a pm once, then immediately deleted that message from my inbox, thinking I was just cleaning it out and not knowing that his reply, if he sent one, went out into space and was not able to be received by me. (I'm going to make all my sentences that long today)
    I'm having one of those days, myself.
    Except for this.
    These.
    The long sentences, not the t-bars.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Hey Scott you still got the sub? I've been very happy with my SVS SB12 Plus that I got from Trey @VR3 perfect size for the office.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184246/svs-sb12-plus-sold/p1
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • msg
    Hey Dave, the SDS-8? I do. I used it for a while, and then tried the little Deftech SC3 at the earlier recommendation. The SDS-8 is doing pretty well in a small near field setup, but I'm still looking for something compact with some more serious performance.

Re: the SVS - wow, that's a lot of sub in that form factor!
    Sheesh, talk about configurability... look at all those controls.

I do have to say, having a sub with Q control... seems to be a lesser known feature, but fantastic for tuning, being able to control how tight or flabby your bass is, with the twist of a knob. @Hermitism knows what I'm talkin' about...
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Yeah the SVS kicks it for sure. Hard to believe, just a year ago, the office only had POS Logitech speakers coming out of the computer's sound card! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.