I Quit

Options

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    Options
    daboyz wrote: »
    I'm hoping that is the dumbest thing I read/see today.

Nah, I will do better soon :smile:

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Don't shoot yourself in the foot. Go back, work and start thinking about a better exit strategy. Suing will have repercussions later and may not yield you much anyway.

Balls in your court
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options
    I think you did the right thing Nightfall, have your sit down with the owners and voice some concerns.
    No one has the right to yell at or be little a co worker.
    The ball is in your court make the best of a spoiled situation if possible at least till job B gets back on the table.
    Best of Luck
    I'm surprised Gordon Ramsey has not be beaten to a pulp yet.
    I'm lucky I work in a very big Union Enviroment you never hear of Supervisors or Upper Management doing this.
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'm thinking I'll go back to job C after chatting with the owners and as long as I don't have any more issues with "George" I'll soon be working two jobs again. If I continue to have issues with him I'll quit after job B reopens and go find a different second job. Hopefully that all makes sense.

Sorry you're having to go through this $hit. I've had this problem at work but just stuck it out until the bad finally was let go. Sounds like you have a good plan and really what they did for you, you won't have to deal with this guy any more.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    Options
    look kids, I don't advocate abuse...and I don't advocate jackassery of any sort....but, an occasional a$$chewing is part of life, even the ones you don't really deserve.

As for the unions? Pfffft. I've heard union people in screamfests. Usually when it involves infringing on their breaks. ;)

BDT
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    Options

Nah, I will do better soon :smile:

[/quote]

The scary thing is I expect that of you. ;)
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    @daboyz
    I said that is what I did with MY boss.
    I also said that it works for some people and not for others.
    I WAS NOT advocating for anyone else to do such a thing.So it was not me giving advice on how to handle such a situation.

You seemed to miss the part where I told him he did the right thing.

Every person and situation is different and one size DOES NOT fit all.

Since you have never met me or my boss and had to deal with him how would you know what is the best way to handle that man?
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited April 2016
    Options
    That's right do not ever infringe on our union mandated break time or be prepared to pay double time.
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    I think you handled it very well by not stooping to his level, that would not have helped things.

While I agree somewhat with Tony and Troy, I firmly believe that EVERYONE should be treated with a certain amount of respect no matter who you are, and this jerk doesn't know how to do that.

I would go back and have a frank and honest discussion with the owners as they have asked. Let them know that this isn't the first time that this has happened with you and others and that it is bad for morale. So long as they are willing to keep him away from you, then go back and do your job and see how it goes.

The owners obviously realize that good employees are hard to find now a days and they can't afford to lose them if they are smart.

Lots of times, the jerk ends up getting the boot if you stick around long enough.

If things improve fine. If not, then look for another job so that if crap happens again, you can step into something else and then quit. Always have a fall back plan to put into play, rather than being the one left scrambling and hurting for money.

Those of you recommending that he sue them, get over yourselves, you would just be racking up a lot of lawyers bills and not changing a damn thing.

Nightfall is in a good place BECAUSE he didn't let his ego carry him away and do something foolish!

Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    I don't know how to describe how he was yelling. It was very different from an **** chewing or a "You're not going fast enough" "You cooked that wrong" type deal. Those I can take in stride. There was rage in his eyes and he was verbally attacking on what felt a more personal level.

Ill be there in two more hours, we'll see what happens and how it goes.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what transpired but he's leaving next month and I'll be the new kitchen manager.

That **** got himself fired! Congratulations!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Bah, haha---Thats cool.
    Just keep your cool bro and congrats
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    To the victor go the spoils!!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly what transpired but he's leaving next month and I'll be the new kitchen manager.

Bravo!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    Sounds to me the owners graciously gave him his 2 weeks notice, and are being nice because they have a bun in the oven.

If he'd been single, you probably would have never seen him again

Hard to work as a team with bad attitudes and and the owners didn't want to deal with the drama
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I had an **** of a boss once who said some ignorant stuff one day (he was a moody lil prck) and I'm told him "I don't know who you think you are, but nobody speaks to me that way." He later apologized. I'm a good, loyal worker, but I don't tolerate someone taking their bad day out on me. Don't blame you a bit.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Glad it worked out!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Awesome. Sounds like they had more than one complaint about this person.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    OUTSTANDING!!! I told you the bad ones eventually hang themselves.

Congratulations, and remember what you went through to get there, and don't let your little bit of power go to your head.

Treat the people you will be managing the way that you want to be treated, work just as hard if not harder than they do and you will always have their loyalty, respect, and the willingness to go the extra mile for you because you treat them with respect.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,104
    Options
    Glad everything is going well! ^^^cfrizz all true, the golden rule, she's right on!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Great news pal, now that's what I call a good outcome. So....your gonna be the semi equivalent of Artie from the Sopranos ? Start me a tab, I'll bring my friends. :)

Seriously dude, don't know how it could have worked out better for ya. Congrats
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    End the end the bad always go away.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,119
    Options

Congrats man... So when are we going to see you on an episode of "Chopped"?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • breal74
    breal74 Posts: 324
    Options
    Form one chef to another congrats Nightfall!
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Treat the people you will be managing the way that you want to be treated, work just as hard if not harder than they do and you will always have their loyalty, respect, and the willingness to go the extra mile for you because you treat them with respect.

100% right on the money! It has worked like a charm for me so far running kitchens for the past 15 years.

• BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    Options
    Congrats!

Communication is the most important thing.....again, there is a difference between a one-off melt down (they happen), an asschewing and just a complete jag off. Sounds like your boy is the latter and got, as they usually do, what he deserved. My thing is, in the heat of the moment...yes, just walk or diffuse the situation but over the long haul....communicate. If your immediate boss is a dick...talk to their boss. Again, restaurants, in particular, only survive if there is a free flow of communication.

I would say that the owners/GM probably need to be a little more involved. Employees hanging out drinking after work is a big red flag for me. Also, I wouldn't tolerate one of my folks thinking that it was ok to be a complete ****. I treat people with respect and demand that others do the same....and, most of my folks have been with Brecks...lets see, I've got Ms Betty..she has been here 40 years, Sheila has been here 20....Larry 11....a bunch more with 7-9 years. Long story short, treat folks well and pay them well and they stay. Pretty simple.

BDT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvloW4-qymKosAkE8r2cTANWxnIYwFogG6lg7KanRM59InWBFlEAjneyoiuw
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    Options
    How awesome I can see it now guest appearances on **** kitchen. Better position means more money, more money means more tunes and more gear, sounds like it worked out, and karma bit the guy in the azz.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options

Here's me, Monday morning quarterbacking: You handled it correctly.

Congrats.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options