ELAC Uni-Fi - UF5 or UB5?

halo
halo Posts: 5,616
edited April 2016 in Speakers
What's the advantage of a floorstander over a bookshelf or a bookshelf over a floorstander?

Obviously, a floorstander is a bigger speaker but, when you consider that the bookshelf has to be placed on a stand, the argument for floor space is moot lMO.

The cabinet on the UF5 has three ports in the back and the UB5 has only one. Does this separation indicate better performance or accuracy from the bigger speaker versus the smaller speaker?

Their frequency ratings aren't too far away from each other.

Will the floorstander require more room to breath and need to be farther away from the back wall?

Since the floorstander is twice the price of the bookshelf, will I be getting twice the speaker? Performance?

I currently have the Energy RC70 floorstander and the Energy RC10 bookshelf speakers. Neither of them sound "bad" in my living room set up but there is definitely a difference. The RC70 floorstander digs deeper and seems more "complete" in its ability to reproduce the sound. The RC10 sounds very good on its own but it seems lacking when compared to the RC70. I would go so far as to say that the RC-LCR is a great speaker in its own right, as it digs deeper than the RC10 and has a more complete sound thanks to its dual midrange drivers. Unfortunately, I only have the one RC-LCR and the UC5 doesn't, according to the specs, dig deeper than the UB5.

I guess this is what happens when we're given more time because the release date has been pushed back. lol.

One last thing, I live in an apartment and I rarely listen to anything above 70-75db (peaks). My living room is pretty large for a one bedroom apartment and I cannot get the speakers more than 24" away from the back wall due to space constraints.

There will be a showdown between the Energy speakers and the ELAC speakers in deciding which set gets to stay in the living room, pulling double duty for Music and HT (70 - 30). Oh, I don't have a subwoofer (don't need it) and I will not be adding one.

Thanks for your attention :)
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• I'm with you on the tower vs bookshelf/stand question.

I've also think it's easier to pull out a tower into the room for serious enjoyment and then return it to a more room friendly position for background music. And the UF5 seems to be small enough for us old guys to move w/o too much strain. The UF5s are even smaller than the RTiA5.

I have a question that you highlighted and that is why doesn't the UC5 dig deeper than the UB5. It's got twice the mid-bass driver, and a larger cabinet volume.

All other parameters being equal, would not those two aspects at least match if not better the UB5 low end extension? Ive noticed this in several brand's Centers vs their L/R.

What technical aspect am I missing?

Anyway, let us know what you decide as there seems to be many who are looking forward to these hitting the market.
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • halo
    I'm with you on the tower vs bookshelf/stand question.

I have a question that you highlighted and that is why doesn't the UC5 dig deeper than the UB5. It's got twice the mid-bass driver, and a larger cabinet volume.

All other parameters being equal, would not those two aspects at least match if not better the UB5 low end extension? Ive noticed this in several brand's Centers vs their L/R.

What technical aspect am I missing?

Well, the only logical answer that comes to my mind is that Energy designed the RC-LCR to be used as either the Left front, Center, or Right front speaker. A lot of attention was paid to the design and implementation of the mid & tweeter placement so that it would work equally well as a center channel or as a pair of main speakers. I don't see other companies making sure that their center channels can pull double duty.

HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    For me, you buy a big floorstander to fill a larger sized room, for the visceral impact and dynamics, for the whole stage to be presented in front of you in life sized form.

Some others do have centers that can act as left and rights, and in the bookie realm, might even be desirable. Multi-channel music, done right.....5 floorstanders is the way to go but who has room for that.

Get what floats your boat, fits into your lifestyle and wallet, don't lose sleep over the extremes in this hobby.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ROHfan
    ROHfan Posts: 1,014
    I'm very interested to hear your thoughts once they come in.
    TV: 65" Samsung QLED 4K
    Fronts: Energy RC70 --- Center: Energy RC-LCR
    Front Heights: Polk RC65i --- Rears: Polk RC85i --- Sub: Power Sound Audio XS15
    Pioneer VSX-1120K --- Parasound HCA-1000A --- Oppo BDP-103
    Vincent Audio SA31 preamp --- Teac UD301 DAC
    AIYIMA Tube T7 preamp --- Nobsound 12AX7 tube preamplifier
  • halo
    edited April 2016
    It's going to be a while and I still have to decide which ones I'm going to get but I will post after they duke it out :)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    I'm starting to like bookshelves more than floorstanders for critical listening. Plus they are easy to switch if I happen to be in a different mood.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • halo
    madmax wrote: »
    I'm starting to like bookshelves more than floorstanders for critical listening. Plus they are easy to switch if I happen to be in a different mood.

As far as SQ, why do you feel that the bookshelf speakers are better for critical listening?
  • madmax
    With a little less bass authority I am able to listen more to the more important aspects of the sound. Also, it seems easier to find the right position for the best soundstage. I've heard that with the smaller front face and nothing sitting below the speakers that the soundstage is typically better. Not sure it is true but the bookies always seem more easily arranged for the best soundstage.

• halo
    Thanks for the input @madmax

So, I take it that you don't own any floorstanders at the moment?
  • madmax
    I do, a pair of avantgarde duo, zu audio def, sda-srs 1.2 and an old pair of carver amazings which are apart right now.

• halo
    Ok. That's pretty B)

Did you mean that you don't have any bookshelf speakers and floorstanders that are the same make? Series? Line? For comparison?
  • madmax
    The last ones I had to compare directly was the LSi 9's, 7's and 15s, with the 15s being the floorstander. I certainly thought the 9's and 7s imaged better at the time. That was when I started collecting some other bookshelfs.

• halo
    I agree with you on the 9's.
  • madmax
    Won't be long now, I HATE PRE-ORDERS!

• halo
    9 days and counting plus shipping time. The UB5 is amazing. I'm sticking with it.
  • halo
    Besides, I can always get the towers later.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    Hurry up and get these, guys, I'm sick of waiting.
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo
    msg wrote: »
    Hurry up and get these, guys, I'm sick of waiting.
    Did you order yours yet?
  • msg
    hehe, no, I'm living vicariously through you guys right now.
    so hurry up :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    That's a good one msg, I thought I was the only one here who did that,lol!
  • msg
    I'm really intrigued by these, but trying to hold out for some reviews. Need to clear out some space first, too. You know, trying to be a responsible adult. Which sucks, btw. Don't let anyone trick you into it, ever.
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo
    @msg I heard the UB5s at AXPONA and they were absolutely amazing. They are everything you've heard about them and more. After visiting 12 manufacturers of high end audio that day, the ELAC UB5 & F6 were #2 & #3, respectively, out of everything that I heard that day. No joke. These are the real deal.

I've heard some people (reviewers) complain that you shouldn't have to spend big $ on the electronics that will get the best out of these speakers. To that I say, why not? If you save big $ on the speaker purchase, that leaves you more $ available for the "better" electronics (separates or an integrated with a nice DAC to filter all of your lossless files, cables, interconnects, etc). However, if it isn't in your budget to get the high end electronics to go with the reasonably priced speakers, Andrew said that a receiver with enough power should be able to do the job. You aren't running the speakers or the receiver (or amp or integrated) at their limits all the time. Brief peaks, maybe. But, for the most part, he doesn't see an issue with a good quality receiver being able to drive the speakers. If you are really worried about it, he said to purchase the towers as they disperse the load over the greater number of drivers, lessening the demands on the receiver / integrated / amp.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Victor, did you ask Mr. Jones why the floorstander doesn't dig deeper?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo
    F1nut wrote: »
    Victor, did you ask Mr. Jones why the floorstander doesn't dig deeper?
    Deeper than it does?

I asked him the difference between the UB5 and the UF5 and said, "$499."
  • halo
    He said that the UF5 and UB5 measure the same in regards to their frequency response. Yea, there's a slight difference in their rated frequency response but he said that, side by side, they are very similar. The UF5 may reproduce the midrange slightly better and have a little more bottom end (or the perception of more bottom end due to the improved clarity given by the additional drivers on the floorstander).

Honestly, he's not really pushing the UF5. It's apparent that the UB5 is what he feels is the best bargain and it gives you 99% of what you'd get from the UF5.
  • halo
    He went on to say that the impedance is what gives the speakers the better bottom end. He said that he has to make compromises in certain aspects of the build to come in where he wants to be at the $499 price point but he feels that this is doable for most amps (even receivers)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Bookshelf speakers usually have less complex crossovers, due to less drivers---and IMO, this leads to better integration/smoothness in response. Bookshelf speaks can begin to dynamically compress when pushed too hard due to lack of cabinet volume.

Towers have a big sound that can add to realism, but sometimes bass can be over-exagerated by rear-facing or multiple bass ports.

These observations of course are speaker dependent; but generally true in my experience.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • madmax
    halo wrote: »
    I've heard some people (reviewers) complain that you shouldn't have to spend big $ on the electronics that will get the best out of these speakers. To that I say, why not? If you save big $ on the speaker purchase, that leaves you more $ available for the "better" electronics (separates or an integrated with a nice DAC to filter all of your lossless files, cables, interconnects, etc).

Exactly! Most speakers I've owned sounded better as you up the electronics chain. Even the SDAs which are perfectly happy with midrange amplification and source continue to get better and better as you up the quality. And if you can't afford it now its better to have a great set of speakers for $500 waiting for good electronics than it is to have a pipe dream of $5K speakers that you can't afford, let alone the electronics that a speaker like that demands.

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Any source for these on-the-line that takes slush funds... I mean Paypal?
    o5a5wpjgmfjz.gif
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • halo
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    Any source for these on-the-line that takes slush funds... I mean Paypal?
    The UniFi series haven't been released for sale yet. Waiting on the preorder(s) to ship out. You can place a preorder through Amazon or on the ELAC website.