George Grand

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I did not know George, but I knew he was highly respected and thought of on this forum. I liked reading his no nonsense posts.

RIP GG
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    George will be missed. RIP George!
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Wow. This sucks!

I had the pleasure of meeting George (of the New Jersey Grands), his wife, and daughter last September during his "Audio Housecleaning" sale. A true gentleman!

The Carver HR-742 he practically gave to me still anchors my two-channel rig. I'll think of him every time I power it on... :(

RIP Mr. Grand.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Sorry to hear of Georges passing, he has been and will be missed. RIP Mr. Grand
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Never met him and had a couple scrapes with him here on the forum... I wish nothing but the very best for his family, friends and anyone he touched. God bless and take care of him and his loved ones.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I am truly sorry to hear this. George was certainly a character on this board who was always capable of making me laugh. But to meet him in person was a complete joy. I will miss him greatly.

My condolences to his family. RIP George.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    The man was class personified, there was never a time when I had contact with him that he didn't ask how my Lauren was. I am truly saddened by this news.

Rest in peace, my friend.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    Sad news indeed...RIP George.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Wit and wisdom stands down.......R.I.P. Mr Grand.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Very sad to hear about George Grand passing away. I never had the chance to meet George personally, but did email him a couple of times when I had just joined the CP forum to ask him about a piece of vintage gear. He was kind enough to offer up his advice and to make me feel like a part of the CP family even though I was just a newbie. Always enjoyed reading GG's posts . Thoughts and prayers to George's family and close friends who knew him here at CP. God Bless, we will miss you George. R.I.P.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    Wow!!! R.I.P George.... :(
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Sad news. I didn't know him but did buy a bunch of records from him. Funny how the records arrived before I even sent payment out. From reading about him he seemed like a wonderful person. My condolences to his family.
  • Poee7R
    Poee7R Posts: 904
    Heaven just got some great company. Rest easy GG, and thank you for all that you've done for others.

Dave
    Once again we meet at last.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I have no words. Very sad news.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    I'm very sorry to hear this. I never got to meet George, but I communicated with him somewhat regularly over the years and I bought some gear and quite a few records from him. Way back when I joined this forum, George was one of not very many active members at the time. Man, the forum was a lot of fun back then! George recognized that I was quite "green" with respect to this hobby, and he helped me out a lot with good advice and nudges in the right direction.

I actually have a funny story - one of those "small world" stories- about George: As most of you know, he was a boom operator that flew on aerial refueling tankers with the NJ Air National Guard. My wife has a younger cousin that did the same thing back in the early 2000's. I didn't even know where he worked, but at some point in a conversation with George, I mentioned that about the cousin. George asked his name and when I told him, he informed me that he was Jason's (the cousin) boss! George then pulled a prank that made Jason think he was in trouble at work, and it was a common topic at family get-togethers from then on. RIP George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    It Saddens me to hear of George Grand's passing, as a matter of fact I'm pretty upset to hear about this wondering where he has been lately, and not knowing of his circumstances R.I.P. Mr Grand.

I bought a lot of vinyl from him and chatted with him via pm's quite often he also was kind enough to send me some Vinyl as a gift to me and my wife on a couple of occasions. I was always happy to see his vinyl for sale threads when I logged in and have missed those threads for sometime.

In Georges honor I will be spinning The Mother's Live At The Fillmore East 1971. George told me that he was in attendance at a couple of these shows and that some of the recordings on this album he was in the audience so I will be listening to this knowing that Mr Grand is somewhere in the audience.

crkjpi1c1w9r.jpg
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    I will be spinning some Frank Zappa in honor of GG tonight. He knew more about FZ than any other soul that I have ever met.....
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Great tributes guys, I know he's eating this sh_t up right now, as he smiles down on us.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    R.I.P. George! thanks for all you did.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tentoze
    tentoze Posts: 133
    I am completely struck dumb by this. We never met face to face, although it was threatened on both sides. That doesn't matter. He was my friend, and I don't say that about very many human beings. Our conversations, both online and on the phone were special to me. And our "tangles" at AK often turned legendary (and all totally in fun, for our amusement). I wish you had told me bye before you rode off into the west on that Shetland pony, you old rascal.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    tentoze wrote: »
    I am completely struck dumb by this. We never met face to face, although it was threatened on both sides. That doesn't matter. He was my friend, and I don't say that about very many human beings. Our conversations, both online and on the phone were special to me. And our "tangles" at AK often turned legendary (and all totally in fun, for our amusement). I wish you had told me bye before you rode off into the west on that Shetland pony, you old rascal.

I would never have guessed that you two never met -- your camaraderie was of that easy, relaxed nature, which led me to infer that you knew each other well.

Grand old times (pun only partially intended).

• tentoze
    tentoze Posts: 133
    We knew each other VERY well. The world is colder and meaner this afternoon.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    RIP Double G,, you will be missed
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    wow...that is sad..GG was a character and a knowledgeable member. Plus he was a big FZ fan. Ride on George
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    The forum died a little bit today. Though I'd never met him, he was one of my favorite all-time Polkies. Who knows if we would have hit it off in person, but I sure enjoyed his online persona...which I feel confident was the real George Grand.

Prayers for comfort to his family and friends. I know he will be missed.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    He was a great person. We had several PM conversations, I am attaching a couple screenshots of one. I had previously bought some vinyl from him but failed to let him know I had moved. I never received it, my fault completely but he wanted to make it up. I didn't take the opportunity as it was not his fault. Just a testament to the kind of guy he was. RIP GG, you will be missed terribly.

ikuwgvgvefw6.jpeg

cj8vjhipk1bs.jpeg
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    So sorry to hear this. RIP George.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics