No BS pre amp

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2016
    Options
    No more than the Primaluna Russ, from what I gather anyway. Pick up a used Joule around 2k, hard to beat for that used price imho. Ernie is spankin' the monkey to one right now as we speak.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    PFB...how about "loaning" me that Primaluna. ;)
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Lol, I actually would if I was gona sell it. I will be selling the slp05 and if you want that on loan before you buy it then sure why not.
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    I am going to throw this out as a suggestion because I think it was a special piece and would make anyone happy, the dared mc7p? That little thing with premium tubes would make anyone happy thats not snobby.
  • lightman1
    Options
    Dared makes some fine products. Good sound for little coin. Might throw that one into the ring as a contender.
    I tried to get Steve drunk and swipe his Vincent. But to no avail. Man can hold his booze.
    And when I get home and if you still have the slp05, i ay take you up on that offer.
    I don't live in Mexico, 'sall good. :p
  • lightman1
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    No more than the Primaluna Russ, from what I gather anyway. Pick up a used Joule around 2k, hard to beat for that used price imho. Ernie is spankin' the monkey to one right now as we speak.

Now THAT is the way describe a piece of gear!
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    I owned the joule la100 mk3 for around a year, it was a decent preamp but gets hyped up too much. I would not pay 2k for that Tony if thats the model your suggesting?
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I have the lap150A. The extra $ on mine is because of the phono board. Its a 2 piece unit.

I do like mine quite a bit but remember I prefer a little more mellow / bloom sound especially since I sit close to the speakers. Since lightman speakers are on the analytic side of the spectrum, I would recommend something that has more bloom to it vs "correct"sounding to give you a little more balance overall sound. The emmies he has also have amazing imaging.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • lightman1
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    I have the lap150A. The extra $ on mine is because of the phono board. Its a 2 piece unit.

I do like mine quite a bit but remember I prefer a little more mellow / bloom sound especially since I sit close to the speakers. Since lightman speakers are on the analytic side of the spectrum, I would recommend something that has more bloom to it vs "correct"sounding to give you a little more balance overall sound. The emmies he has also have amazing imaging.

Now we're on the same page ;) You're right about the imaging. And I prefer an easier sound. Tame the beasts a little without losing the imaging.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    The Backart is also a wonderful unit and has a nice wide soundstage but a little more presence to it without being analytic.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    This is not playing in the same league as some of the options given but for a little less than a grand you could find a clean Adcom GFP-750 then send it to Big Sky Audio for a "best of everything" restoration/upgrade.

Rick's work would make it easy to sell if you did not like the result.

I can dig it. I've owned a couple of Adcom pre's. Bang for the buck good sound. And I did not know about the upgrades. Thanks for that little nugget!

Go to the Big Sky Audio page and look under upgrades. The last time I talked with Rick he still had a supply of BlackGate caps.

In for the grand on the GFP-750 with upgrades and have the leftover grand for some tube goodness to hang off the processor loop. I copied what H9 had done and used the Dared SL2000A with mine. It seems he has since moved on from the combination but could tell you more than I ever could.
  • tonyb
    Options
    I owned the joule la100 mk3 for around a year, it was a decent preamp but gets hyped up too much. I would not pay 2k for that Tony if thats the model your suggesting?

I should have been more specific, the Joule 150 models, and I agree, the 100 can be a bit too much bloom.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Realistic
    Realistic Posts: 355
    Options
    Hey Russ I am loving the p5 thanks for asking. Man I thought I had it tough trying to make a decision, best of luck to you Russ.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    halo wrote: »

Here you go Russ

You will have a chance at LSAF to here my new Modwright LS100
    I'm a Modwright fan as I really enjoy my KWI200 integrated

Hey this one is in Austin, TX....dare to pull the trigger, we can have it in Dallas for LSAF ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I am going to throw this out as a suggestion because I think it was a special piece and would make anyone happy, the dared mc7p? That little thing with premium tubes would make anyone happy thats not snobby.

Awesome suggestion ;) Got mine for $750 (...or was it $850? Darn CRS) off the forum here with the caps already upgraded to Auricaps.

F6mgRCQ.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    Options
    Tubes! I'm swooning.... Methinks a tube pre is the way to go to settle things down. That Dared is nice....hmmmmm.
  • tonyb
    Options
    The MC7 is better than the cheaper 2000 for sure. Certainly an option Russ that won't kill the wallet.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    5slgu3zjt4cc.jpeg

Pick up one of these used. Thank me later... This thing is a beauty. Dual mono design, Extremely sensitive to tube rolling. Forget those tubes that come with them. They take 4 12au7's. Put some nos In there, even mix and match to your liking. **** audio heaven man.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• lightman1
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    5slgu3zjt4cc.jpeg

Pick up one of these used. Thank me later... This thing is a beauty. Dual mono design, Extremely sensitive to tube rolling. Forget those tubes that come with them. They take 4 12au7's. Put some nos In there, even mix and match to your liking. **** audio heaven man.

Indeed sir! That's the 03, right? Always liked the Cary goods. And they are located in North Carolina. A few hours up the road from me.
    There might be a demo unit laying around their shop...... B)
  • notified
    notified Posts: 175
    Options
    My You up there in those that them Appalachian Mountains boy? I heres theys got some mighty fine hot dogs up thata way! And I sure dos likes them shiny Cary products too,mighty fine gear ,mighty fines for sures..
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4pz2kXoDo_s

Yep a tube pre is what you need oh don't forget to go along with those hot dogs and bongo burgers get ya sum dem french fried taters take go long wit it uh hmm
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Dennis Had and Cary (together & separately) have been responsible for some wonderful hardware over the years. Cary helped re-write the book; being part of the vanguard bringing back single-ended, direct-heated triode amplification to the modern hifi experience in the 1990s.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Amen to that Mr. H, I was very fond of that little DJS, which can still be had around 6-8 bones in those rare occasions they show their face.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4pz2kXoDo_s

Yep a tube pre is what you need oh don't forget to go along with those hot dogs and bongo burgers get ya sum dem french fried taters take go long wit it uh hmm

Ya got me Steve! I sounds jest lik heem. Mmm hmmm. I like biskits with musterd to.mmm hmmm.
  • lightman1
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Amen to that Mr. H, I was very fond of that little DJS, which can still be had around 6-8 bones in those rare occasions they show their face.

Cary gear has been high on the list. But folks like to hold on to them. Kinda like the hot rod Jolida 100's. Stuff like that just doesn't show up for sale.
  • tonyb
    Options
    That's why you need some Dago friends Russ, shake some loose....in a simple suggestive manner of course. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    Options
    That's why you're my boy, Tonyb. Always good to have a "persuader" on my side to close the deal.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Boy ?

Why I autta...lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds