No BS pre amp

Options

Comments

• Realistic
    Options
    Keep the updates coming Russ and enjoy Dallas. My wife finally got to go see the cowboys, my daughter purchased tickets for her for Christmas.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    The only historical landmark Russ is going to see is Russmans big head
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Or should I say hysterical landmark
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    Git the F outta here.....that's off the charts.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Big whompus noggin!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    Options
    Hey Russ if your gonna be in the QCA soon, I just got off the phone with one of the guys off audiogon he has this Audio Force site, anyhow come to find out he lives right up.the road from me if you have not got something by then we can go demo some preamps if you like, he kept telling me about those pesky Elacs and that I got to hear them Andrew Jones new stuff from what he was telling me.It will be something to do.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • lightman1
    Options
    Sounds like a plan Steve. I'll be flying into DSM on Tuesday and heading to Davenport/Bettendorf on Wednesday. Looks like another two month gig. Then Dallas and Hawaii. Then back your way for another few weeks. Thanks for the invite!
  • Realistic
    Options
    I hear ya Russ I was in a pretty good place after I purchased the p5 and then someone I wont mention any names, SKIP threw in a free power cable and all hell broke loose. Now I have to get one for the parasound amp, plus interconnects and speaker cable. Why wont the voices in my head stop... LOL.
  • Realistic
    Options
    I have never seen anything like it, I laid it out on the floor and admired it for awhile like some kind of hot chic calendar. I know what your thinking, I need help...
  • Realistic
    Options
    Going to look in the FS section now for used cables.
  • lightman1
    Options
    Oh schittts! Bob has the disease already! Good group of Polk Folks here. Never steered me wrong. Gonna meet a couple more when I get back to Iowa.
    Micah is coming over tomorrow to drop off the 7's. More good times, haven't seen him in years.
    Keep on truckin'!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,908
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Oh schittts! Bob has the disease already! Good group of Polk Folks here. Never steered me wrong. Gonna meet a couple more when I get back to Iowa.
    Micah is coming over tomorrow to drop off the 7's. More good times, haven't seen him in years.
    Keep on truckin'!

Micah huh ?

Don't turn your back, he's a quick booger with a long reach. That's the word on the street anyway. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Sorry Russ, No such things as No BS preamp! :p>:)

Fair enough. Just something with less BS.
    Where have you been hiding at? Long time no hear.

I am around. I wasn't allowed to retire from the Audio BS yet.

Anyway, I am thinking you might have remembered the name incorrectly because
    I have never heard of no BS preamp. It could be a typo.

I have heard (not through my ears unfortunately) Bully Sound Preamp and Bhulley Sound Preamp.

http://sanjannagar.org/bhulley-audio-system/

http://www.bscaudio.com/mk3/productsL5.php

Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • lightman1
    Options
    Wellllll shoot! Now the DSpeaker sounds great with the 7b's.
    Guess I'll keep it for craps ang giggles in a new 2ch set up. It's got a DAC for a streamer.
    But still want something better for the big rig. Stay tuned.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    edited February 2016
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I would want a remote in that price range!

Why? That's more in the way of the signal. Physical media requires you to get up anyways, and streaming includes volume so you can continue to sit on your lazy butt. Food for thought is all.

One must be careful because a streaming unit with a volume control is many times rudimentary, and in many cases will add noise and have tracking issues, and is not recommended. Better to have a nice remote volume in a preamp that was carefully designed around it, then to use the digital volume control from a streaming device.

Devices such as the Squeeze Touch sound much better with the vol, set to max and left alone and then modulating the sound via a pre-amp (remote or not).

Any volume choice from a computer is usually horrid!

So he is not being foolish wanting a remote pre-amp, as the good ones are very well implemented, much more so than most of the streaming programs/devices, etc.

Food for thought if you are looking for the best possible outcome.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't think that is as predominant as it used to be. I can't tell any difference in quality vs. using my preamp volume vs. streaming volume. If I heard a difference, trust me when I say I wouldn't use that method.

Actually many digital volumes are flawed and continue to be flawed. I'm sure Russ can decide for himself, but even on AVR's the digital volumes are hugely flawed, even on the flagship model. Many are very basic and inexpensive I/C circuits that are rife with issues.............of course it depends on what you expectations are and how much compromise you are willing to accept.

Take a look at how BAT implements it's digital volume controls. That's how it needs to be done to be done effectively and it ain't cheap.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • lightman1
    Options
    Alrighty you two. Play nice. Let me just clarify a point for a new pre in the big rig. There will be NO streaming media presented to it. Just the CDP and MAYBE my TT down the road. Will use a TT amp before pre-amp. So no onboard TT pre needed.
    Brock, you point on remote volume is noted, but if I get to the point of "I think I heard and small veil of noise when I turned up the volume".....
    confiscate my gear and sell it on Craigslist. You keep the money.
    It would be at that point I forgot about the music and was more worried about the noise being presented. Not worth it.
    I like a remote, but not necessary.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,080
    edited February 2016
    Options
    short of no (active) preamp, the BS-less-est preamp I can think of is probably this one...

2gu0ac3.jpg

Not much gain (6 dB, if memory serves) and the 3S4s tend to be microphonic (sometimes horribly so) and the output impedance is probably borderline astronomical... but there ain't much to go wrong with it.

I've heard one and thought it actually sounded pretty good driving my own amplifier & speakers.

Good enough that I... procured one. Need to build it someday :-P It's been sitting in a drawer for a little over a year, waitin' for the solder to flow...

http://bottlehead.com/product/quickie-1-1-battery-powered-directly-heated-tube-preamplifier-kit/
  • heiney9
    Options
    Yes, I have heard it. It's not just "missing information". Like I said read up on how B.A.T and some of the other higher end companies implement their digital volume controls. It makes a difference.

Again, it depends on how much and where you want to compromise. Using a steaming devices digital volume control is a big compromise, IMO.

I'll take an analog, motorized volume control on a well designed pre-amp every time over a digitally controlled volume of a streaming device/computer device.

Everything matters.

H9

P.s you are entitled to your opinion.
  • heiney9
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Alrighty you two. Play nice. Let me just clarify a point for a new pre in the big rig. There will be NO streaming media presented to it. Just the CDP and MAYBE my TT down the road. Will use a TT amp before pre-amp. So no onboard TT pre needed.
    Brock, you point on remote volume is noted, but if I get to the point of "I think I heard and small veil of noise when I turned up the volume".....
    confiscate my gear and sell it on Craigslist. You keep the money.
    It would be at that point I forgot about the music and was more worried about the noise being presented. Not worth it.
    I like a remote, but not necessary.

We are playing nice, just a difference of experience. I'll also add there are people on here that use their cdp volume control instead of a pre-amp. I would never do that either, talk about a compromise. A cheap little potentiometer or a cheap little I/C for high end audio? No way.

Many people are fine with the switching PS walwarts that comes with some gear these days. I use a regulated linear PS and there is a marked difference to my ears, night and day to me. Same with the digital volume control on the Squeeze and anything I run on my computer, differences are very apparent when compared.

Everything matters and in the end it's a cumulative effect. If you start cutting corners here and there, pretty soon your rig is nothing but compromises. We all deal with compromises. But a rudimentary digital volume is not one I would recommend in a main rig where sound quality matters.

H9

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,080
    Options
    The dig against volume control in the digital domain is well-documented and makes intuitive sense... but... I must admit -- on the CD player... I do it all the time... because I am one lazy m-o f-o.
  • heiney9
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Dskip, I think we know I'm not talking about $100,000.00 systems here, nor is Russ looking at $100K system. Let's keep this in perspective and not start running to the extreme's to bolster your opinion. I said "many" and "most". Of course there are products and software out there that overcome this issue, but they aren't cheap. I'm talking normal gear that most of us would be considering.

We can agree to disagree here, because I'm not really wanting to start an argument.

Op-amps are a compromise too, but that doesn't get much discussion either. People will argue until the sun comes up that some sound as good as discrete parts, but they don't. Some are less compromised, but they are all a compromised. May even be a compromise many will live with, but there is a difference.

H9

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Great thread! The only solution is build a direct box with phono inputs as well.
    That way, you can control everything bought pots, wire, everything.
  • heiney9
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I wanted remote for my tube pre, but I wasn't willing to pay the extra cost of a unit that had excellent implementation. It's not a huge deal, but it would be nice at times. I am thrilled with the EE Mini Max Pre in my system so I don't plan on changing anytime soon.

In fact once the Dexa discrete op-amps break in inside the EE Mini Max Plus Dac, I'm going to replace the coupling caps with something more musical.

So far the synergy with these two pieces in my rig have been nothing short of phenomenal. I am extremely pleased with the main rig and once the caps are done, I'm done for a long while (I think :smile: )

H9
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ESS Sabre admits analog volume can be better, as long as it is lower in noise than their -135dB number (-132dB in stereo). ;) The critical thing about digital volume is it should happen in the DAC. I've used my ESS Sabre DAC (ES9018, 32 bit volume control) before to control volume (before getting a pre amp with remote) and could not tell the difference.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • heiney9
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Rich, to be fair your dac is pretty much a no compromise, DIY unit. Not the run of the mill mass produced piece of electronics. Just wanted to put that out there for those that didn't know.

H9
  • lightman1
    Options
    Curveball...The Jolida DAC/T I have is essentially what is says. A DAC with a built in transport. BUT no volume control. If and only if I do streaming, would I run it through the Jolida or to the DSpeakers pre which also has an onboard DAC and all the necessary inputs on it? Thus having the signal processed by the Jolida into the DSpeakers pre with it's digital volume control.
    Room correction off and on bypass to amps.
    No potentiometer on that pre.
    Weakest link in the chain type of scenario.
  • lightman1
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    ESS Sabre admits analog volume can be better, as long as it is lower in noise than their -135dB number (-132dB in stereo). ;) The critical thing about digital volume is it should happen in the DAC. I've used my ESS Sabre DAC (ES9018, 32 bit volume control) before to control volume (before getting a pre amp with remote) and could not tell the difference.

heiney9 wrote: »
    Rich, to be fair your dac is pretty much a no compromise, DIY unit. Not the run of the mill mass produced piece of electronics. Just wanted to put that out there for those that didn't know.

H9

Yeah, Rich. Quit showing off!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,353
    Options

Can you expound on why it should happen in the DAC?

It keeps the data path short.

heiney9 wrote: »

H9

True that. This is one of them things where a one line answer doesn't explain why.

First off the Twisted Pear Buffalo III and IIISE DAC board uses four shunt modules to power the DAC chip alone. I think they were the first to address that level of detail in power. Our own Fred electronics guru has even mentioned that here.

Add high quality power supplies and you provide the lowest noise power. In my case, shunting power supplies, where you set mA output 50 to 100mA over what the DAC needs, which gets turned into heat. The DAC never has to ask for more power, it has it available at all times.

The analog power supply of the DAC chip must be an ultra low-noise design or the chip itself won't exhibit ultra-low noise. Noise degrades dynamic range. Low noise power supplies are expensive to implement and in my case, add much heat. A vented enclosure is a must. Add high quality output with low noise power supplies and the signal leaves the DAC with the quietest and most dynamic signal to be amplified.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Skip
    When I first set up my PC W/Jriver>>>>W4S DAC>>>>Melody pre I could here distortion clicks/static come through the speakers raising and lowering the volume with JRiver

Now if I used the W4S or Melody control there was none
    I took this as the PC was the issue with the unfiltered DC currents and USB