Speaker wire

Options
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Yowza :s
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Good lord I want to be your adopted son Joey!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    One at a time!!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    Good lord I want to be your adopted son Joey!

Again... One at a time!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    I don't know anything about that model Joey, could be fantastic. From experience with lesser models of Transparent you know what brand I prefer. One thing to check on, be sure you can buy matching IC's as just like MIT, they work best when used together.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,433
    Options
    LOL
    Joey, in all sincerity, please enjoy these last few hours of blissful ignorance...
    I disabled signatures.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Oh God talk about heading down that hole....... at that level, one needs a membership card to the Cable Company Lending Library.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Not good that I'm beginning to look.

I don't really care so much about the cost, as long as it is recoupable.

I'd hate to lose a couple grand on a set of wires.

Don't mind spending 6+, but it's gotta hold onto the value. Never know what's going to happen you know.

There goes the paranoia again lol
  • F1nut
    Options
    Almost nothing in audio holds it value. ;)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    What do they typically sell for on the used market?

As for resale value, Does it depend on the brand?

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Joey_V
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    What do they typically sell for on the used market?

As for resale value, Does it depend on the brand?

This is where smart moves count... Following the market and waiting to pounce.

For example, FF Polk lsim703... Can't beat that. Same goes for one of these wires... There has to be a fair deal where recouping cost is not too bad.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    joey, i don't think it takes that amount of money to get great cables. i have a friend that started out with merlin speakers and now has one of the top marten speakers along with vac electronics. i was there the day he was deciding between audience and reality cables. we all agreed that they were so close that it only made sense to get the least expensive one, the straley reality cables and he has stuck by them. there is a reason the design has been around so long and why i still have a pair of the speaker cables.
    www.realitycables.com
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Joey
    Get your gear in place and start your evaluation. What lengths do you need...post up. Talk to Skip and other Texas or Polkie brethren to demo cables.

On the high end stuff put your credit card up for returnable demo cables before you choose.

Basically dip your toes in the water, don't dive in head first
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    Options

President of Club Polk

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    I have seen those sell for 7k before but they even have been shorter? Thats an awesome cable to go for and the brand is hot on the market so no trouble getting your cash back. They have a stellar reputation and are legit! Another great speaker cable regardless of pricehttps://www.audiogon.com/listings/speaker-synergistic-research-element-cts-10ft-speaker-cable-uef-and-ect-included-2016-03-02-cables-23456-virginia-beach-va
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Guys, I can't even wrap my head around that. The original price of 15k took my breath away. With saying that Joey you've got gear now that is certainly worthy of any of the boutique brands. I didn't notice, did they come w/ the elevators off the floor suspenders ? Like I said in our p/m your ancillary gear is also going to add up real quick like. What were you in before, double AA ball and now your in majors as they say... I'm going to try to get in touch w/ the guy who had those huge Von Schweikerts to see what he used. This might be interesting to some of you. I kinda thought they a huge girth when I saw them I might be wrong it's been a while, hope he responds.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2016
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Joey
    Get your gear in place and start your evaluation. What lengths do you need...post up. Talk to Skip and other Texas or Polkie brethren to demo cables.

On the high end stuff put your credit card up for returnable demo cables before you choose.

This ^^^

Transparent are super nice cables, but like every brand they have a certain sound signature to them. Spending that kind of coin and not knowing if it would be pleasing to you .......I dunno man, make me stop and think twice.

You've got a lot of Texas boys around you Joey, with lots of nice stuff you could possibly demo before laying out cash. Take advantage of that.

Also, didn't you just say you had budget constraints in your other thread ? I'm confused, which is it ?
    Post edited by tonyb on
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Yep, that's it right there. If I were to ever own such expensive electronics, I would HAVE to be able to listen to cables in my own system. The only way to really really know at what point and price your system hits the point of diminishing returns is to be able to listen in your own space with two or three cables to go back and forth with.

A local shop or The Cable Co. that has a lending program would be the ONLY way to get the BIG BUCKS out of my hands.

https://www.thecableco.com/content.aspx?iid=5777
    https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2009/12/16/cable-lending-library-your-friendly-neighborhood-audio-crack-dealer/
    http://www.cnet.com/news/can-expensive-audio-cables-improve-the-sound-of-a-hi-fi/
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I'm in heaven with the demo program available locally. The guys at the shop are great about it, I've held on to pieces up to a couple weeks before, if I like them, they've even let me hold on to the cables until they are ordered in.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I'm not even worthy to comment, as your cables cost more than my entire system.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • polkfarmboy
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Steve thats a terrible comment, when I joined the forum you were one of the many members I looked up to for validation of opinion based on experience and knowledge.

I would say that even if I spent 20 times the money of most of the members systems here I would still feel that I lack their overall knowledge and would want their opinion.

I have alot of cables laying around I keep but also sold many and I would say the only speaker wire that just made me say WTF! Was the MIT oracle. Its also the only cable that I was able to tell in blind testing very easily with 100% being right everytime. I got a pair and sold them but they then became my reference standard and after trying many more I ended up coming back to them. I had wireworld gold and platinum swapping around and I would guess wrong between them as they are amazing but when those oracles got hooked up it was like going from a cone to electrostat in sound quality.

I have heard many mention Mit oracle to Joey and at one point even offered a spare pair of mine on loan. I never mentioned these as they are a tough cable to get your money back on and now it would be tougher as mit released the oracle hd90 rev 2 so right away I will take a loss if I sold them and take a loss if I pay top dollar for the new ones. I dont think MIT oracle need other oracle to pair up with as I have done an A/B with those and my wireworld platinum eclipse works best but I am more of a tube guy so that could be why my preference is what it is as its a close call.
    Post edited by polkfarmboy on
  • steveinaz
    Options
    PFB, you took my reply waaaay too seriously.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    PFB, you took my reply waaaay too seriously.

Thats what happens when you live in Fargo for too long, I gotta get out of this place! :o
  • steveinaz
    Options
    It's OK...it's Wednesday--we're almost there.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Joey needs to learn that the best does not always mean the most expensive. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

Got that right..... :)

He also needs to learn how to kiss a few frogs before he finds his Prince.....or Princess in this case.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I have been doing it wrong all these years. I always slept with the frogs.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Joey_V
    edited March 2016
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »

I find this comment particularly insulting, a potshot.

Never said that the best is the most expensive.
    Post edited by Joey_V on