Upgrading my RTi's to LSiM's... looking for input

I have been reading all over the forums and the web about the LSiM 703,705,& 707's.

Usage is about 60% HT > 40% Music. My room is 17x19... See Pic

IMG_0955_zpsa4d2a631.jpg

IMG_0942_zpsdb845278.jpg

Current Setup:
LCR = RTi A7's and CSi A6
Surround = FXi A4's
Subs = 2x Def Tech Prosub 1000 (10'inch sealed with passive bass radiator)
Amp = Front 3 are powered by Emotiva XPA-3 (200 watts/channel RMS)

I'm getting the 706c as my center, my dilemma is whether I should just get the 703's since they'll be running with 2 subs already. Or should I get the 707's and lower the subs crossover so they only help out during explosions/really low bass?

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. I have enjoyed the RTi's, but I'm ready to step up to the next level and my Emotiva is ready for a workout. Unfortunately, I cannot demo these speakers anywhere so I'm looking for some first hand opinions.

Thanks!
My HT Gallery
My HT Build Log
Yamaha A-1010 w/ Emotiva XPA-3
Polk LSiM 707, LSiM 706c, FXi A4, Dual Deftech ProSub 1000
Epson HC3500 w/ 100' SI Black Diamond

Comments

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    Nice setup.

Do you listen to music in two-channel or with the subs? If you run the subs for both music and HT I'd say get the 703.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Love the color of the walls!
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I went from RTiA7's, CSiA6 and FXiA6's to 703's up front and a 706c. I left the FxiA6's as surrounds and it sounds great. Mainly I wanted a more musical front Left and right for 2 channel. By doing this I got a better sounding HT as well.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    btmower are those FX's on the wall?
  • gce
    afterburnt wrote: »

Look at the first picture, there on the wall.

Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Thanks guys for the input... Yes they are FXi A4's as surrounds.

I do leave the subwoofers on all the time, so they would be running in conjunction with the 707's if I decided to go that route.

Are the 703's the same as the 707's minus the bass woofers or are they tuned differently?
    My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • afterburnt
    gce wrote: »

yeah I did that is wye I axed. my eyes dont see so gud anymore
  • afterburnt
    btmower wrote: »
    Thanks guys for the input... Yes they are FXi A4's as surrounds.

I do leave the subwoofers on all the time, so they would be running in conjunction with the 707's if I decided to go that route.

Are the 703's the same as the 707's minus the bass woofers or are they tuned differently?

How come you aint looking to change out the FX's for 702's?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk BT. With the size of the room go with your plan of the 707s. I don't think bookshelves can really hold a candle to tower speakers especially since the fullness of sound is what you are already used to with your fine system.

Make sure you post more pics once you get everything set up.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • gce
    gce wrote: »

yeah I did that is wye I axed. my eyes dont see so gud anymore

That's cool...mine don't either. :)
    Anaheim Hills CA,

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    Get the 705's, best of the three.....seriously. Also, get different amp.

The room is very nice. B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    F1nut wrote: »

I thought about recommending the 705 as well. I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • F1nut wrote: »

I thought about the 705's, but does it lack in mid-range punch due to the smaller mid-driver? Also, Whats wrong with my amp? :disappointed:

Thanks for the input!
    My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • PSOVLSK
    Emotiva is something of a lighting rod. Personally I'd upgrade the speakers first and worry about the amp later. I owned an XPA-5 and was happy with it, but I've moved on and now run a Sunfire. Better? Yes A lot better? Matter of opinion.

I personally thin it depends on what type of audiophile you are. I'm feel confident that there are several members on here who could tell more of a difference if you kept the speakers and got a better amp, bit I'm also have no doubt that I could detect a better upgrade by getting new speakers and keeping the Emo.
  • F1nut
    F1nut wrote: »

I thought about the 705's, but does it lack in mid-range punch due to the smaller mid-driver?

No, it doesn't and it's a better balanced speaker.
    Also, Whats wrong with my amp?

Seems to be ok for HT, but falls short for music, which is more demanding and requires a certain finesse.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• afterburnt wrote: »

How come you aint looking to change out the FX's for 702's?

I'd love the 702's, but they are PRICEY. I may upgrade them in the future, but the A4's will do for now. I am planning on adding 4 ceiling speakers and upgrading to an Atmos receiver next... then perhaps I'll upgrade my surrounds /amp.

My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • adabro
    adabro Posts: 212
    I had a similar set up, went with 705's, 703's and a 704 - no regrets, very happy with the results. I started out with the 703's up front, but ended up picking up the 705's later, 703's were good up front, but the 705's are better (to me at least)

I also have the XPA-3, sounds pretty good to me....
  • adabro wrote: »
    I had a similar set up, went with 705's, 703's and a 704 - no regrets, very happy with the results. I started out with the 703's up front, but ended up picking up the 705's later, 703's were good up front, but the 705's are better (to me at least)

I also have the XPA-3, sounds pretty good to me....

This is exactly what I was hoping for, first hand comparison between the 703's and the 705's. I would say I watch movies at high volume, but don't often listen to music at high volume. So perhaps the added extension of the 705/707's would be better for me in such a wide open room. Thanks for the input!

Part of me is still tempted to still get the 703's and then upgrade my subs... but I could probably go round-and-round in my head on that topic for eternity. :)
    My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • F1nut
    This is exactly what I was hoping for, first hand comparison between the 703's and the 705's.

That's what I gave you and that includes the 707's.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    This is exactly what I was hoping for, first hand comparison between the 703's and the 705's.

That's what I gave you and that includes the 707's.

You're among several people on this forum and AVSForums who have recommended the 705's as being the best. I appreciate it and I'm strongly considering them.

I have a new baby coming in a few weeks, so once wife/baby are home and healthy, I'll be placing the order. I guess that gives me more time to mull it over and torture myself!
    My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I used to have lsim 705 and 706 in a similar sized room as yours, with a hallway at the back of the room, with a bathroom and bedroom. My 705's showed signs of distress with certain movie passages (crossed over at 80hz). I like my movies loud, and the 705 couldn't make it close to reference levels, the 5 inch drivers would pop, with the volume in my Marantz at around -10. I had them properly powered by a sunfire tga 7401, with not shot gun cabling, and a 7702 pre/pro. I even switch my lsi15 back in and this didn't happen. I tried everything.

I agree the 705 is a better balanced speaker, but for the size of your room you will be hitting its limitations. I used my 705 in a two channel system for a long time and sounded great for music. I really think the 707 would be better for your room, and of course get an amp.

The lsim is a more laid back speaker, so prepare yourself for that since you are used to RTI, which work great for movies. I've owed every speaker in the RTI A line, most in the RTI line, every speaker in the lsi line, and have lots of experience with lsim 705 and 706. I was OBSESSED with home theater for the better part of 12 years, all polk audio.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I have a new baby coming in a few weeks, so once wife/baby are home and healthy, I'll be placing the order. I guess that gives me more time to mull it over and torture myself!

Congrats to you and your wife.

I would recommend a pair of floor standing speakers with small kids around for safety reasons. The 703s are big and heavy and require heavy duty stands, which adds another expense. I would go with the 705s. When I tried to do that the seller sent me 707s instead, which I like too.
  • mikeyb128 wrote: »

The lsim is a more laid back speaker, so prepare yourself for that since you are used to RTI, which work great for movies. I've owed every speaker in the RTI A line, most in the RTI line, every speaker in the lsi line, and have lots of experience with lsim 705 and 706. I was OBSESSED with home theater for the better part of 12 years, all polk audio.

I have enjoyed the RTi's, but they don't seem to image well... I'm not sure if I am using the term properly, but when I close my eyes, the sounds origin is easy to place in the room. Even when I'm in the sweet-spot, I can still easily pick out Left, Right, and Center. This happens in music and movies

When you say the LSiM's are more laid back than the RTi's, is it possible to describe how? Does the image created by the LSiM's blend better?
    Emlyn wrote: »

Congrats to you and your wife.

I would recommend a pair of floor standing speakers with small kids around for safety reasons. The 703s are big and heavy and require heavy duty stands, which adds another expense. I would go with the 705s. When I tried to do that the seller sent me 707s instead, which I like too.

Thank you, Even though I don't plan on allow a toddle in my HT unattended, I'd be lying if I said the thought didn't concern me of a bookshelf toppling when I have my back turned. It is definitely a factor I'm weighing when making my decision.
    My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • F1nut
    I have enjoyed the RTi's, but they don't seem to image well... I'm not sure if I am using the term properly, but when I close my eyes, the sounds origin is easy to place in the room. Even when I'm in the sweet-spot, I can still easily pick out Left, Right, and Center. This happens in music and movies

When you say the LSiM's are more laid back than the RTi's, is it possible to describe how? Does the image created by the LSiM's blend better?

The RTi's are more forward, in your face. The LSiM's are more relaxed, musical.

Your imaging issue, while somewhat speaker related also has to do with their placement, your room, your source and power.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited February 2016
    Try moving the speakers farther apart, closer together, less toe-in, more toe-in... experiment. Drag the coffee table away while you're listening.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Maybe it's the optical thing, but it appears the first reflection point on that left speaker is being sucked out into that open office space to the left. That will have something to do with your imaging problem.

"Your imaging issue, while somewhat speaker related also has to do with their placement, your room, your source and power."......as F1NUT eluded to, add cables also into that mix.

Obviously you can't change the room, so work on other aspects. The Emo amps aren't doing you any favors either for music with those speakers.

Putting together a system is like putting together the pieces of a puzzle. You have to pick pieces that compliment each other, or overcome some bad characteristics with good ones to achieve the sound you want to hear.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • btmower
    btmower Posts: 25
    Good news! Baby came about 12 days early and everyone is home and healthy from the hospital, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my purchase.

Since I don't plan to upgrade mains for a loooong time, I went ahead and bought the LSiM707's and 706c. The deal I got was too good to pass up, so I went all out. They are en-route and will be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm stoked and cannot wait to hook them up side by side with my RTi A7's/CSi A6 and do a little comparison.

Before I sell my A7's/A6, I will probably get some pictures and video uploaded to my youtube channel as a demo for anyone else interested in the same upgrade.

Can't wait... I'll update once they're all setup.
    My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Congrats to you and your wife, glad to hear everyone is healthy.

I made the move last year from the Rtia series to the Lsim 705's & 706C and couldn't be happier.
    You are going to be impressed sir... I know I was

Cheers
  • btmower
    btmower Posts: 25
    polk500 wrote: »
    Congrats to you and your wife, glad to hear everyone is healthy.

I made the move last year from the Rtia series to the Lsim 705's & 706C and couldn't be happier.
    You are going to be impressed sir... I know I was

Cheers

Thank you, I'm rather excited.... What are you powering yours with?

My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • mikejl46
    mikejl46 Posts: 63
    I look forward to your comparison