Upgrading my RTi's to LSiM's... looking for input

Options
2»

Comments

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm using a B&K EX-442 for the mains & B&K AV5000 Series II for the center and surrounds.

I really like the sound of B&K, I also have a parasound 1500a that I've used for the mains,which is also a very nice sounding amp or perhaps a better way of putting it the amp makes the music sound better.
    But for now I'm liking the B&K EX for music it makes those 705's sound wonderful in two channel.

But you will know how great the Lism sounds very soon yourself.

Cheers
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
  • btmower
    btmower Posts: 25
    Options
    Today when I got home from work I had a 312lb pallet in my garage.

HOLY COW THESE THINGS ARE MASSIVE!!!.... I mean, I knew they'd be bigger than my RTi A7's, but I wasn't prepared for how HUGE they are in person. It is definitely a 2-man job to carry these suckers down stairs and unbox them.

I had a busy day, so I didn't have much time to configure/position them, but I am off work tomorrow and hope to get a lot accomplished.

Needless to say, I am a happy camper. Stay tuned. Tomorrow I hope to finish fine-tuning them and then record some video demos and comparisons with my A7's and get them uploaded.

In the mean-time, here are a few quick snapshots I grabbed... Man, I love this stuff!! :)

Panoramic
    IMG_0915_zpscrxtif9g.jpg
    LSiM 707 and LSiM 706c next to my old RTi A7's
    e97e2bc3-d642-48b9-92d9-33217c5e2070_zpsbufm3jzz.jpg
    I can't believe I thought the A7's were big speakers
    IMG_0905_zpsrhwuduxe.jpg
    My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
    Yamaha A-1010 w/ Emotiva XPA-3
    Polk LSiM 707, LSiM 706c, FXi A4, Dual Deftech ProSub 1000
    Epson HC3500 w/ 100' SI Black Diamond
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    LOL, I was thinking the same thing Skip. They are too small for my tastes.

Anyway, congrats man, I'm sure you'll dig them better than the RTI's.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mikejl46
    mikejl46 Posts: 63
    Options
    Making me want to upgrade from my Rti a7's already. Maybe next year.
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    edited March 2016
    Options
    congrats on healthy child.
    Let us know what you think about the 707's
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• btmower
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Congrats bud. Let those things break in some before you get too critical. They'll need it.

Thanks, been running quite a bit of music through them today, but newborns seem to not appreciate fidelity ;)
    tonyb wrote: »
    LOL, I was thinking the same thing Skip. They are too small for my tastes.

Anyway, congrats man, I'm sure you'll dig them better than the RTI's.

So far I'm loving them. I'm sure they are tiny compared to your Focus', but they're huge in my room.
    mikejl46 wrote: »
    Making me want to upgrade from my Rti a7's already. Maybe next year.

Been listening to the RTi A7 side by side with the new LSiM 707's... The LSiM's definitely have much deeper and fuller bass. For music, I have noticed a great improvement in the mids and highs. I totally agree that they are a more musical speaker (as they should be for $4000/pr) For home theater use, they are only nominally better, and that is mostly due to power output. But that should come as no surprise considering the RTi's are great HT speakers.
    My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    RTI stands for Reference Theatre Improved, so they should be. Glad you like them.

Some of us use one system for both HT and music, the LSIM is a great choice for those looking to handle both and get a vastly better musical experience.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,159
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    btmower wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Get the 705's, best of the three.....seriously. Also, get different amp.

The room is very nice. B)

I thought about the 705's, but does it lack in mid-range punch due to the smaller mid-driver?

No, it doesn't and it's a better balanced speaker.
    Also, Whats wrong with my amp?

Seems to be ok for HT, but falls short for music, which is more demanding and requires a certain finesse.

I'm not only putting this on my calendar, I've contacted the daily news to run a "Just In" story............Jesse said something positive about Emo amps B)

Jesse, my heart just gained an extra beat :#

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • btmower
    Options
    Been pretty busy and haven't had a ton of time to do room correction, but have enjoyed my listening experience with the 707's.... until last week, when I noticed a lot of distortion coming from the left speaker on low-mid volume.

I have not had these speakers louder than half volume, yet the left tweeter is crackling and distorting badly. This is not happening to the right tower.

I've swapped out cables, hooked up different amps, used a different source, hooked up the old RTi A7's... it is definitely a problem with the tweeter on that tower.

I've submitted a request for support. Not sure how polk processes service requests, but I'm hoping they can replace the whole speaker.

Will keep you all updated.
    My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Where are you going on the Yamaha for volume, max? 0db? Into the positive numbers? Do you have the bass and treble turned up or at zero and/or pure direct mode? Do you have the "Enhancer" turned on?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • btmower
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Where are you going on the Yamaha for volume, max? 0db? Into the positive numbers? Do you have the bass and treble turned up or at zero and/or pure direct mode? Do you have the "Enhancer" turned on?

Volume has not been above -15. I am running it in straight mode... No bass or high end adjustments. Like I said, I have not pushed to the speakers. And as a matter of testing, I hooked them up to several other amps and the same problem persisted.

My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You need a tweeter. Mine did the same thing in my 705's twice (same tower), Mine were properly powered with a sunfire amp. Eventually a crossover fixed the problem. I sold them to a friend and they are still working fine.

I would still take it easy on that volume. -15 in my marantz is pretty flipping loud.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• btmower
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    You need a tweeter. Mine did the same thing in my 705's twice (same tower), Mine were properly powered with a sunfire amp. Eventually a crossover fixed the problem. I sold them to a friend and they are still working fine.

I would still take it easy on that volume. -15 in my marantz is pretty flipping loud.

-15 on my system is not very loud.... I normally run it around -30 to -25.

I contacted them and they said they'd send me a tweeter. Is it easy to replace? Does that rubbery cover around the tweeter come off easily and go back on easily?

Thanks for the info!
    My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    It comes off very easy. I used a plastic automotive trim tool to pry the rubber off. It is held on with 2 sided tape and rubber type dimples. You can now see the screws that will removed the tweeter and small 3 inch driver as one piece. The screws to the tweeter are on the back. Please be careful with the wires that attach to the tweeter, as there is small plastic tangs the tweeter terminals mount to. They can break VERY easily.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• btmower
    Options
    mikejl46 wrote: »
    I look forward to your comparison

Thank you everyone who helped out in this thread... I've had the speakers for about a month now and I am in love!

As I mentioned before, I got some video and audio recordings of the new setup and put them on my Youtube channel.

LSiM Impression Video

Forgive my rambling... for some reason my brain no longer functions as soon as I start recording myself!

:)
    My HT Gallery
    My HT Build Log
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,159
    Options
    btmower wrote: »

Forgive my rambling... for some reason my brain no longer functions as soon as I start recording myself!

:)

Nice vid, I watched the second one you had on the "Demo". The bass from those towers are very impressive.

Nice room btw, I appreciate how you have your gear hidden away, makes for a very clean set up.

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman