New Andrew Jones Concentric Speakers

Options
F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,801
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • F1nut
    Options
    No, the ones in the link are new ELAC speakers. They haven't come out yet.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,450
    Options
    They do, indeed.
    Couldn't really find any spec info - anyone else? I'm curious, given the raves/buzz so far.

Those UF5's seem interesting as well.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Scott, the ELAC Uni-FI B5's in the link I posted are not out yet, so no specs.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options

President of Club Polk

• pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,520
    Options
    I only went to the ELAC booth because one of my very favorite speaker designers, Andrew Jones, recently left his position at Pioneer/TAD to come to work for ELAC. I heard that Andrew would be holding court in the Venetian suite and demonstrating the products he has been working on since joining the company. Andrew is no stranger to the world of stratospheric speaker designs, and I was expecting some new reference statement, but was shocked to hear that he was demonstrating something at the other end of the spectrum: a three-way bookshelf monitor that will retail for $500. Much like he did recently with lower priced Pioneer speakers, Andrew said he wanted to see what the next performance step up was from $250/pair and to really push the boundaries of what could be done with truly affordable audio. The new Uni-Fi UB5 includes a new custom-designed concentric driver that places a 1-inch soft dome tweeter in a rigid 4-inch aluminum cone midrange, capable of extending to frequencies out to 30k Hz. Equally stunning is the level of bass depth and detail Andrew manages to coax from the 5.25-inch aluminum woofers. The result is audio that is just OMG! on everything they played. It is the kind of audio listening epiphany that just leaves you sitting in your chair shaking your head and with a goofy smile on your face. If Andrew can do this at $500/pair, you only wonder what ELAC will have in store in the future…
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I likes me some coaxes...

That said, one's gotta wonder what sort of deal Mr. Jones managed to cut with Pioneer/TAD upon his exit that protects him against misappropriation of IP lawsuits or even prosecution from his erstwhile employers.
  • msg
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Scott, the ELAC Uni-FI B5's in the link I posted are not out yet, so no specs.
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ah, I didn't realize they wouldn't post specs until release. guess that's kind of like a concept.
    pumpkinman wrote: »
    The new Uni-Fi UB5 includes a new custom-designed concentric driver that places a 1-inch soft dome tweeter in a rigid 4-inch aluminum cone midrange, capable of extending to frequencies out to 30k Hz. Equally stunning is the level of bass depth and detail Andrew manages to coax from the 5.25-inch aluminum woofers.
    dang, that seems pretty low for a bookshelf! I was guessing 40Hz from the rave reviews so far. 30Hz with some reasonable output would be nice for an appropriate space, eh?
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    Options
    That's 30kHz....the top end.

President of Club Polk

• msg
    Options
    LOL, I knew there had to be a catch
    I disabled signatures.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Specs are on the website for the complete line.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Options
    Count this boy "in"! I'd love to get my ears on these!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Yall think these would work good in a pure 2 channel setup?
  • F1nut
    Options
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Specs are on the website for the complete line.

No, they are not. The ELAC Uni-FI B5's have not come out yet.

President of Club Polk

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Yall think these would work good in a pure 2 channel setup?

Indeed they would. That's more than likely what they were designed for. I'll be waiting for the reviews.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    Looks like an interesting design. Making decent audio affordable I think is fantastic.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2016
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    Looks like an interesting design. Making decent audio affordable I think is fantastic.

It was very much the rallying cry of Polk Audio in their early days.

Note the comments in the Polk 10 blurb below...

20555863903_698a851e53_b.jpgScan0013 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    After having the pioneers and now the B6 from him I'm inclined to try anything he comes up with without much thought.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • cnh
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Andrew Jones interview on the new series: ELAC Uni-Fi!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PZlKzALNzA

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Options
    Cool interview. I really wonder what those floorstanders will end up sounding like for 2 channel.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I just placed my pre-order with ELAC for the UB5 & the UC5.

Thanks for posting this thread about these speakers @F1nut!

UB5 SPECIFICATIONS:

Speaker type: 3-way, bass reflex
    Tweeter: 1 x 1-inch soft dome, concentrically mounted
    Midrange: 1 x 4-inch aluminum cone
    Woofer: 1 x 5.25-inch aluminum cone
    Crossover frequency: 270 / 2,700 Hz
    Frequency response: 46 to 25,000 Hz
    Sensitivity: 85 dB at 2.83 v/1m
    Recommended amplifier power: 40 to 140 wpc
    Peak power handling: 140 wpc
    Nominal impedance: 4 Ω; minimum 3.4 Ω
    Binding posts: 5-way custom
    Magnetic shielding: No
    Cabinet finishes: Black brushed vinyl
    Accessories included: Magnetic fabric grille
    Dimensions (WxHxD): 7.87″ x 12.75″ x 10.75″

UNI-FI_UB5-1-655x821.png

UC5 SPECIFICATIONS:

Woofer: 2 x 5.25-inch aluminum cone
    Frequency response: 48 to 25,000 Hz
    Dimensions (WxHxD): 18.75″ x 7.87″ x 10.75″

UNI-FI_UC5-1-655x358.png

UF5 SPECIFICATIONS

Woofer: 3 x 5.25-inch aluminum cone
    Frequency response: 42 to 25,000 Hz
    Dimensions (WxHxD) No Feet: 7.87″ x 38″ x 10.75″

UNI-FI_UF5-1-655x1348.png

Here is the product page @ ELAC: elac.com/product-category/passive/uni-fi/

Uni-Fi Fact Sheet
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • F1nut
    Options
    That brushed vinyl is really nice in person.

I am a bit surprised that the tower is only good to 42Hz. My office bookies go lower than that.

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    They do look nice. Gonna need more than average power to make em sing it seems.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    "brushed vinyl"... sort of makes one think of something like "artisanal polyester" or something.

In all seriousness, I'd love to hear any of these ELACs some time.
  • halo
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing but I live in an apartment and I do not listen to music or movies anywhere near reference volume levels. Still, when funds allow for if, I was thinking about adding an amp to the multi room outputs on the AVR (Parasound Halo A23 or a Emotiva XPA-2) or a Peachtree Integrated to drive them.

HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    Options

Kind of ironic, isn't it? Make very capable inexpensive speakers that need very capable, expensive amplifiers for best results.

Not a complaint, just an... observation.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Kind of ironic, isn't it? Make very capable inexpensive speakers that need very capable, expensive amplifiers for best results.

Not a complaint, just an... observation.

But it does seem to be a clear downside. NHT speakers have the same problem. I have always thought that the offer much higher quality sound than you typically get at their price-point, but if you drive em with an entry level AVR they'll sound like complete crap, which lets admit, kinda defeats the purpose of making this great bang for your buck speaker. Of course that's where the used market comes in, and amps can last a long time.

Having said that, I too would love to hear these Elacs sometime...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • halo
    Options
    Well, maybe I'll have to host a listening party. BYOB, pot luck, and bring your amplifiers to see what pairs best. Kinda like the old Polk Fest get togethers we used to have around here
  • cnh
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Not sure if they "need" a hi-end amp. But they sound better with one. But, then again, don't most speakers sound better in this way.

I mean, I have a set of M-70 towers in my HT and they're OK with a good AVR, but slap a quality 200+watt/2 amp on them and they make a quantum leap to the next orbital plane (yeah, undergrad Chem., still a few brain cells left from the '70s, lol). s, p, d, f, g...

Admittedly, "useless" knowledge for my current field! And probably so "dated" at this point that most H.S. chemistry students know this low level physics of chemistry. You guys remember that, the attempt to ALWAYS reduce one science to a more fundamental one. Oh, perhaps that's still the goal for some scientists. The ABSOLUTE REDUCTION!

There he goes again! YET ANOTHER digression! F'n cnh can't stay on topic!