Laserdisc-The godfather of ALL consumer optical disc media

Comments

• The LD-S1 WAS the top of the heap Laserdisc player when it came out a LONG time ago. However because of it's age it is not a side changer and there is no AC-3 RF out. The later LD-S2 that replaced it (*see previous pages for the pic*) was I believe a side changer(*although I could be wrong about that*) It was even bigger than the S1. It too did not have an AC-3 RF out.
    These were reference class players and VERY expensive.
  • I keep forgetting to mention to @gatecrasher that probably THE BEST home theater demo I have EVER seen with Laserdiscs was in J & R Music World in New York City. They were playing the remastered version of Top Gun in Dolby AC-3 on an SRT system.
    MAN that demo had impact!!!!
    I wasn't even dealing with a salesman,they just had it playing in a room and I walked in and wound up sitting down and watching for a while.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    How do I UNsubscribe from this thread? I view LD occasionally but I've lost interest...
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • @gp4jesus go into your profile and update your notification preferences. Uncheck the box where it says notify you of all threads you have participated in.
  • gp4jesus
    How about just one thread? (this one)
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    gp4jesus wrote: »

top right of the thread is a star...click it to turn off
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited February 2016
    Where did you buy those @rednedtugent ?

Why would you play Laserdiscs when Bluray exists? Nostalgia? Coolness factor because nobody else does, exclusivity?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • That says bookmark
  • txcoastal1
    I think bookmarks can be set to notify...hence turn off bookmark
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• When you click on it it bookmarks it
  • m1whpbkpjo06.jpg

One of only 9 titles available on Laserdisc in Dolby EX 6.1
  • 27wpojcf1u89.jpg

Way back in 1999 I used to work at an audio salon and we used to do Dolby versus DTS comparos.Hence both copies of Goldeneye.
  • txcoastal1
    edited February 2016
    When you click on it it bookmarks it

mhxc5rj83l8j.jpg

• @txcoastal1
    What's with the attitude???
    I was just trying what you told @gp4jesus and it bookmarked this thread.

I thought this information was useful myself in case I wanted to opt out of a thread.

What is it with some people on this forum and all of the attitude?

• txcoastal1
    @txcoastal1

I thought this information was useful myself in case I wanted to opt out of a thread.

I thought you were debating me on unchecking and checking bookmark...and that's why he keeps getting notified

• Nightfall
    The real question is this!
    Why would you play Laserdiscs when Bluray exists? Nostalgia? Coolness factor because nobody else does, exclusivity?

• gp4jesus
    edited February 2016
    @txcoastal1

+1. Sorry.

Further, if one clicks on that, one won't receive ANY notifications from any bookmarked threads.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    gp4jesus wrote: »

top right of the thread is a star...click it to turn off
    I think bookmarks can be set to notify...hence turn off bookmark
    When you click on it it bookmarks it

mhxc5rj83l8j.jpg

You can kill all in settings or kill the bookmark in the top right corner of the thread

• Nightfall wrote: »
    Where did you buy those @rednedtugent ?

Well, they were $1.60 + tax for starters.

Two of the titles are CAV and have audio commentary that you cannot
    get in any other format. You can listen to it all on the web for free though. You can find anything on the web.

They look and sound great going thru the Denon
    to my cheapo TV. (wife got the better one)

I pulled out Balto LD and the wife plopped down and we watched the whole
    movie "9.1" Looked and sounded fantastic.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited February 2016
    How do I unsubscribe from this shicken chit thread anyway?
  • Nightfall
    edited February 2016

That is good a reason as any.

How is the picture quality, DVD'ish?

• @rednedtugent
    You forgot to mention that they are CRITERION COLLECTION
  • These are Criterion Collection.

You can find posts on the web that show frame by frame
    how the LD are a better transfer in some cases.

However, even some of ardent LD lovers have abandoned the format for good.

I payed $436.00 for my first LD player and it was the bottom of the line.
    I finally got rid of it and my titles about two years ago. (all but 30)
    I got back into the game w/ a $40.00 player.
    Nightfall wrote: »

That's is good a reason as any.

• Spinning 'Bird' now.
  • Nightfall wrote: »

That is good a reason as any.

@Nightfall
    DVD's didn't have much more resolution than laserdiscs. Than main difference was obviously the size,because they have lossy compressed digital video and audio.Laserdisc has uncompressed analog video and audio (*which is why there were so big*) Uncompressed PCM digital audio came later and then there was the lossy compressed digital audio (*Dolby AC-3-which later became known as Dolby Digital*) and DTS.
    Video-wise DVD had flat video frequency response all the way up to NTSC's video frequncy limit of 6 MHZ.
    Which determines the resolution.
    Laserdiscs begin rolling off around 5 MHZ. So Laserdiscs usually have a resolution of about 425-450 lines. DVD goes all the way up to NTSC's 482 line limit. I know 525 lines is what is published about NTSC video,however 43 of those lines you cannot see. So you see there isn't that big of a difference between the two formats other than size.
    Everything that DVD can do Laserdisc had it first.
  • Size and cost. Laserdiscs came down to $39.00. Ironically, people today think nothing of spending $20-$40 dollars on a LP.
  • Just got through listening to a CD that I've had for 25 years and was surprised to hear something that I've never heard before again.
    Man this is fun!!