Winter Project - Basement Wiring

Thorton
Thorton Posts: 1,324
Well, I finished my project to finally wire my surround back speakers. During my planning, I decided to include a few add-ons to the wiring project. I included running ethernet from my office (1st floor) to my system (Sonos, Blu-ray, Prepro) in the basement and future proof with Atmos wiring for ceiling speakers. In addition, I changed the location of my side surrounds for improved HT. I knew this would not be an easy project since 3/4 of my basement is finished with the remaining a drop ceiling. Fishing wire over 50 feet of finished walls with right angles was a PITA.

Just like most home projects, the time requirement ended up longer than planned but I'm very pleased with the results. Having the wired internet for streaming significantly increased the speed. I also added an ethernet adapter with additional ports for future equipment (if needed). By changing the location of my surrounds and finally wiring the 2 back speakers (running 7.2), the HT experience is amazing in this very large room. I'll write another post on my 7.2 observations. Now that I have experienced 7.2, I'm getting the itch to hook up Atmos. However, this will require purchasing ceiling speakers and a new prepro. I have a few other upgrades on the list first, so I'll probably hold off on this for a few years..........months?
dalphgesgus2.jpg
ztet7ktwxak7.jpg
bh63l4wskybs.jpg
dqtxr87uyv3m.jpg
dcofidx33oke.jpg

Mike
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
DAC: Bricasti M1SE
Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Looks great. It's always nice when you sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Very nice.

Clean look.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Very nice. I just did the same thing in my man cave. Moved my SDA-2B's to rear duty with the addition of some SDA SRS 2.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    Cool man nice work
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Theheadsn
    Theheadsn Posts: 413
    Awesome :smile: It can be a pain when you're initially doing the work but once its done its cool to be able to enjoy it and show it off.
    Home Theater Setup
    • Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    • Mains - Polk RTi A9's
    • External Amps - Outlaw 2200 Monoblocks for L/R/C
    • Center - Polk CSiA6
    • Side Surrounds - Polk FXiA6's
    • Atmos - 4 Polk 80F/X RT's
    • Sub - SVS PC-4000
    • T.V. - LG OLED65C7P

• trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Awesome work. I have started looking to buy a house within a year. And one of my requirement is a media room in the basement. We haven't actually gone to the locations but just looking at the listings online we are trying to figure what kind of layout we are looking at. Now, depending on what house we end up with, I am trying to figure out whether finishing an unfinished basement or finished one will be better. Still a lot of research to do but looking at your finishing, I am feeling a little confident to run the wires if need be in a finished basement. I am going to DIY as much as possible with whatever we end up with. Thanks for the confidence booster.
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Great work!

Now, ENJOY!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Thanks guys. So far, I'm really enjoying moving to 7.2 for movies.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    ahh very cool.
    I have always found that a bluray player with a 7.1 pre out sounds much better than a optical cable or HDMI, If your BD player has the option you should give it a try.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Very nice. Enjoy!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/