DAC $300 Budget

I'm considering the following, please let me know your thoughts and experience
Dacmagic 100
DACitX
Musical fidelity v90
I'm leaning toward the Cambridge, unless...
Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,527
    1. DACitX
    2. Dacmagic 100
    3. MF V90

That's the order Id go.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,968
    I love my arcam rDAC. The new version is supposed to be a LOT better and is getting really good reviews, but it's also out of ur price range...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • That Marantz HD-DAC1 would look gorgeous with the old AV560 I purchased yesterday
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • I really like the sound of the Wolfson in the onkyo Integrated, but it is far from their premier chip. That's why I was leaning toward the Cambridge, but I hear lots of good things on the Sabre. Hmmm...this isn't getting easier.
  • DSkip wrote: »
    Find a used Essence HDACC. Great sound and an hdmi input for better flexibility.

^^^This is number two on the DAC list of wants.
    I'm getting DACed to pieces!

• Thoughts on the Micromega MyDac, it has some great reviews.
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-106045-micromega-mydac-asynchronous-usb-dac.aspx

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Marantz AV560? I owned one of those long ago, briefly. Bought it unheard off Audiogon because it was a step-up feature wise from what I was using at the time. Have you spent any time listening to it yet? I hate to put a damper on your purchase, but that pre-amp was, by far, one of the worst sounding pieces I've ever owned. Lifeless, flat, horrible sound stage, boring. Hopefully, whatever you're mating it with will be better.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited January 2016
    I have actually owned one about six years ago and had it paired with a Yamaha M-60 and Monitor 10's. It was glorious is my basement rig. The background on that piece was extremely quiet and the tuner did a great job as well. I also liked that no matter how high I turned the volume there was never any hiss from my tweeters. Basically it is only going to serve as a volume control and tuner in my den system, as I realized all other features are terribly outdated. I think it will be just fine and if not I am only out $60 :)
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Thoughts on the Micromega MyDac, it has some great reviews.

i've got one and love the way it sounds. right now only listening through coaxial input.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • marvda1 wrote: »
    Thoughts on the Micromega MyDac, it has some great reviews.

i've got one and love the way it sounds. right now only listening through coaxial input.

Does the build quality seem adequate? I have read mixed reviews on that aspect.

It seems to be a good deal at $250, however.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    they put the quality into the dac, but once you hook it up and just listen to music you forget about it.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • No hi rez...bummer, I don't think I could live without that.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    I picked this one up for 375.00

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-musical-fidelity-m1-dac-2016-01-16-digital-55364-mound-mn?show_listing=true

Not sure how it will compare with the dac in my M6si

This one is going on the M6500

I should have it Monday. I really like all the input options
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited January 2016
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    I picked this one up for 375.00

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-musical-fidelity-m1-dac-2016-01-16-digital-55364-mound-mn?show_listing=true

Not sure how it will compare with the dac in my M6si

This one is going on the M6500

I should have it Monday. I really like all the input options

Should be close Bob, I believe MF used the same dac components from the M1 into the M-integrateds.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WagnerRC
    Thank you Tony. I appreciate that.
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited January 2016
    Zdac for $225...a good deal?https://www.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-parasound-zdac-2016-01-21-digital-94104-san-francisco-ca

Would you buy from a seller with no feedback?
    Post edited by jeremymarcinko on
  • ukcolin99
    ukcolin99 Posts: 286
    [quote You you buy from a seller with no feedback?[/quote]

Life's too short.
  • WagnerRC
    at that dollar amount yes. Everyone has to start somewhere. Audiogon staff are very helpful if there is an issue.
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited January 2016
    2ixkisu2p4gk.jpg
    The Marantz arrived in excellent condition :)
  • Well after reading dozens of reviews I have decided to try the Musical fidelity v90. It should be here Monday. I like it's basic features and 32 bit capabilities. Not sold on burr brown though..fingers crossed. Now to find a another power amp.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Should have gone straight for the M1 in MF dacs. The V90 just isn't up to par in my book.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    I like the Cambridge DAC's personally over the other 2.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Yeah, maybe so. I decided on cost and function. The opinions here and elsewhere are very mixed, so it seems to me that preference in Dac s are like preference in women. If I don't like the v90 I'll try something else.

I think I would have liked the Cambridge too. My experience with Wolfson dacs have been very good. Variety is the spice of life, however. :)