Is there a way to identify a black SL1000 silver dome from a SL2000 silver dome

2»

Answers

• notified
    notified Posts: 175
    edited January 2016
    Thanks Boston I appreciate that.And perhaps its true "good things come to those who wait" as the audio gods have blessed me with a pair of 7c's for 80 bucks, No small feat to find selling in my little city in the greatwhite nowhere.Although with them being in good working condition and about a solid 90% in their physical attributes its kinda a shame to have to harvest a tweeter for my sda's,but it is for the greater good.Ironic to think just how close I came to hitting the buy button on ebay in my initial impatience and succumbing to a nearly 40 dollar shipping charge for just one! And I'd like to add my gratitude to a couple of forum members that graciously offered me a decent deal for theirs! Perhaps now, when/if the dollar goes up to a respectable level I can buy 2 rdo's and use them in the 7's till I can afford another 2 and place the 2000's back in their original holes! Anyway again my appreciation for the education guys and perhaps we all learned something[especially those other novices in need of it] if your looking for a SL2000 and come across a decent SL1000 looking like a SL2000 It is in fact a mislabeled SL2000,,,,[Nuf Said] ,,,, and now it aint rocket science!
    Post edited by notified on
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited January 2016
    Ive read here shipping outside US is PIA for buyer. I take it shipping there is high ? Some down here like me-unsure of money difference im sure. Does Polk themselves ship outside US ?
    Randy/Maine
  • notified
    I assume it can be arranged,but its only offered free in the continental US only,BTW, what is PIA [I guess I lead a sheltered life!]
  • boston1450
    Pain In A$$ for someone up there to go through all kinds of $$$ to get it there
    Randy/Maine
  • notified
    edited January 2016
    I must be a little slow not to think of that! Well that's my new thing learnt for today.And if you think that's PIA going thru the hoops and buying a passport ain't no picnic either! Especially when you cant afford to use it! 911 was incredibly devastating but it sure made for a good tax grab! Considering all the border security that was already in place. If I was a terrorist I just sneak in with the Mexicans!! lol
  • boston1450
    Heck 4 years ago i had to ask my 15y/o daughter then-what LOL means. I still see letters & have no idea what they mean :)
    Randy/Maine
  • notified
    edited January 2016
    I got my first computer about 4 years ago,But I always considered lol rather lame and getting kinda stale and long in the tooth! I'd like to initiate some new ones, perhaps GL/GFAL//PML [gotta/ good for/ pissed myself//Or something more traditionally expletive like TFF [that's f-ing] Or one that applies to me best- MTBF [meant to be funny]
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    notified wrote: »
    I assume it can be arranged,but its only offered free in the continental US only,BTW, what is PIA [I guess I lead a sheltered life!]

You can buy Polk parts through the Polk rep in Canada. I believe his name is Walter Mosley. There are also a host of Polk authorized service centers in Canada.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nikonik
    nikonik Posts: 120
    I must be a little slow not to think of that! Well that's my new thing learnt for today.And if you think that's PIA going thru the hoops and buying a passport ain't no picnic either! Especially when you cant afford to use it! 911 was incredibly devastating but it sure made for a good tax grab! Considering all the border security that was already in place. If I was a terrorist I just sneak in with the Mexicans!! lol

From reading this entire post, I don't think you could make the journey lol! Nonetheless, enjoy your journey here.
  • notified
    edited January 2016
    Thanks F1 I'll most assuredly look into that,If our buck ever makes it back into at least the 80s and with free shipping I could be enjoying those 7's a lot earlier! And to nikonik Your right I could never make the journey! But then again [thankfully] I'm not a Mexican desperately clinging to the hope of finding a better life,or a bitter callous terrorist determined to destroy it! But however I am very intrigued to discover how you have come to make that assessment based on the reading of this post?
  • notified
    edited January 2016
    Note:
    In the event some ambiguity was derived in my above statement [high lighted in nikonik's post],For clarification purposes I was only trying to humorously point out that in my opinion of the situation the need for passports between our border was unnecessary and provided the provision for yet another potentially substantial tax grab!
  • notified
    edited January 2016
    I'm definitely expressing my ignorance in this!,But is it not our government that collects all the processing fees from the issuing of the Canadian passports.And with the need of them to enter the US didn't the number sold increase dramatically providing for more revenue,Both from the initial fee and again from their renewal.And doesn't this same situation apply in some regard to Americans traveling to Canada? And wouldn't that provide for millions of extra revenue dollars for both governments that wasn't available before?
  • nikonik
    nikonik Posts: 120
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Is the dog chasing the tail or is the tail chasing the dog? It ain't rocket science and it ain't the crime of the century. A seller on eBay posted an incorrect pic can we get past this.

Notified, this comment by la2vegas hit it on the head and I was just stating that you would have a difficult journey crossing cause you were pointed in the right direction but made a circle and still are at square 1. No worries.
  • notified
    edited January 2016
    I'm sorry but I still find the point your making confusing.The direction I started from stated my perplexity at the physical likeness of the 2 tweeters mentioned As I hoped to prevent myself from possibly buying the wrong model.Moving along it was established that there are definite physical differences between the two models and therefore it was suggested that in the examples used the sellers took or used separate shots of the item and mislabeled their ad,It was then later confirmed that the example I sited was in fact a SL2000 with a mislabeled 1000 sticker.Same Road Same Direction.Starting from point A and ending at point B in my stating that if you are looking for a 2000 and are a novice like myself you may possibly encounter this situation and pass up a decent deal thinking its a 1000 model,Quite linear,no deviations from my perspective,until Boston brought up the dollar aspect.And by that time we Were Past the initial topic!BTW don't know why this conversation disturbed Vegas so much he possesses the ability not to read or partake in its content! And had he took the time to look at the picture as Nightfall had the courtesy to do he may not have posted in ignorance in the first place!

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Note:
    In the event some ambiguity was derived in my above statement [high lighted in nikonik's post],For clarification purposes I was only trying to humorously point out that in my opinion of the situation the need for passports between our border was unnecessary and provided the provision for yet another potentially substantial tax grab!

As a fellow Canadian, I don't see the tax grab element as the US required the passport. Our government is the one that is paid the passport fee and this wasn't their decision, however I do think it's BS after all the years of a freely passable border the entry requirements are less than friendly.

Just read an article that states 41% of Americans want a wall built between the USA and Canada. Ouch! I thought we were friends! :cry:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• notified
    edited January 2016
    THIS MAY BE OF INTEREST TO 1B OWNERS! I Just came across a interesting site for those that have SDA1b's as I do.[ It in actuality may be a 1c ] Perhaps someone out there can offer confirmation on this.Apparently on this site it shows a 1b and a model 1c sharing the same cabinet. Both using the blade/ blade connectors, No picture of the rears but it says the 1c is a early transitional model.From the photos there is no way to tell them apart. In the specs [non technical]it shows the only difference is that the 1b uses 6509's in both SDA and stereo drivers where as the 1c uses 6510's for the stereo and 6511's in the SDA.If this is accurate, then like myself you cant tell exactly what you got till you remove a driver!!
  • notified
    Sorry I'm still quite computer illiterate and I don't know how to do the shaded thing So in response to mickey's post= To paraphrase Ron Regan "Republicans tear down this wall!!"........But then again you can't believe everything you read in the bible!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    THIS MAY BE OF INTEREST TO 1B OWNERS! I Just came across a interesting site for those that have SDA1b's as I do.[ It in actuality may be a 1c ] Perhaps someone out there can offer confirmation on this.Apparently on this site it shows a 1b and a model 1c sharing the same cabinet. Both using the blade/ blade connectors, No picture of the rears but it says the 1c is a early transitional model.From the photos there is no way to tell them apart. In the specs [non technical]it shows the only difference is that the 1b uses 6509's in both SDA and stereo drivers where as the 1c uses 6510's for the stereo and 6511's in the SDA.If this is accurate, then like myself you cant tell exactly what you got till you remove a driver!!

Transitional models are more common than people realize. I've had four instances in the last 2-3 months. Polk used up leftover Cabinets, Interconnect Sockets & Cables, even Crossover Boards when moving from one generation to the next. They also made "on the fly" changes during production. It's always best to check the internals, and the actual values for Crossover Components. They don't always match what's on the Schematics or what's listed in the SDA Handbook.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • notified
    edited January 2016
    Thanks for your confirming response Westmass.I suppose my curiosity will lead me to remove a driver to see which model I actually have,BTW [if you have the time[In your highly regarded professional opinion [as expressed to me by other members] which would you consider to be the superior model? Is there a noticeable performance enhancement obtained by using those different drivers for the 1c's SDA and stereo drivers? And just for the sake of curiosity would it be possible to use the 1b's 6509's with either of the other drivers?
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Both 1Bs and 1Cs will perform on par once upgraded. You cannot swap drivers between the two. Two different generations, and different drivers.
    The exception, is the improved replacement RDO-194-1 Tweeters. Those are highly recommended for both generations.
    With the 1Bs you must use a common ground amplifier. The 1Cs can use a common ground amp, or isolated ground/mono blocks with an AI-1/Dreadnaught Isolation Transformer.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • notified
    Thanks for the info Westmass especially about the early transitional 1c's being able to use the A1 iso, transformer and the driver incompatibility,Its very much appreciated! and have a great day!
  • notified
    edited January 2016
    Again I'd like to thank and applaud Westmassguy for the profound professionalism of his business web page.The photos provide an excellent compliment to the SDA line,as much as the concise information given! That alone not to mention the quality links chosen should give reason for SDA enthusiasts and speaker fans in general to have it as a valued bookmark in their file. [The creators of this forum should SERIOUSLY CONSIDER providing it as a link as a courtesy to its members!]