Is there a way to identify a black SL1000 silver dome from a SL2000 silver dome

Options
Short of removing the tweeter is there a way to identify a black SL1000 [silver dome] from a SL2000 [silver dome] tweeter.I've noticed on a couple of different sites that the black sl1000 looks like the sl2000 from the front and the ID sticker on the rear is the only identifying difference. A example of this can currently be found on ebay when looking under polk tweeters in vintage electronics [goggle page] and pair vintage polk audio sl1000 moving coil dome [goggle page]

Answers

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    All sl1000 tweeter and peerless share the diagonal voice coil leads. SL 2000 has voice coil leads go straight out the side at 3 and 9 o'clock. I see a sl2000 listed as sl1000 on eBay incorrectly.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Differences are very obvious, perhaps you mean different tweeters than you're talking about?

SL1000
    s-l300.jpg

SL2000
    Polk-Audio-Tweeter-sl2000-Polk-Monitor-5.jpg

afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • notified
    notified Posts: 175
    edited January 2016
    Options
    That is was I assumed when I looked them up prior to posting this,However there is at least three examples I've came across on the net [2 on ebay] that have the tweeter front pictured and rear photo showing SL1000 on the rear sticker. [one clearly states its from a 5b].Sorry I don't know how to provide a link but I tried to provide directions to show two separate pictured ebay examples in my initial post.If you poke around the net you'll find others!Hard to conceive that people that have only one for sale would take a picture of the front then another of a different model for the rear! Leads me to ponder that either they made some 1000 out of the 2000 cosmetics or that a number of 2000's got mistakenly labeled? Wouldn't this possibility cause a major issue for those that have tried to replace their tweeters with stock originals as I thought I read that there are incompatibility issues with the x-overs between the 1000 and the 2000 models? Also what would be the tweeter used for the monitor 7c [apx.1986 model]
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Peerless had different crossover. The only difference between sl1000 and sl2000 will be the front bezel and hole cut out. Bezel on sl1000 slightly smaller than sl2000. When you try to use sl2000 in sl1000 hole it will push in on the voice coil leads so one needs to relieve that area a little more to accommodate that and the holes for screws will be off slightly. Other than that no difference.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Take everything on fleaBay with a double dose of salt. A seemingly endless number of sellers have no clue what they're selling. The SL1000 and SL2000 are compatible as far as the crossover is concerned, however the trim, cabinet recess, and mounting holes are different.
    Your 1986 would have come with SL2000s. The drop-in replacement tweeter is the RDO-194-1. You can also modify the crossovers to accept the better RDO-198-1 tweeter.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • notified
    edited January 2016
    Options
    hi thanks for the responses [That info is definitely valued!! ] But just to be sure, Am I right to think that other than some slight cabinet modification there would be no other issues with using a SL1000 In a sda 1b Would all 4 need to be replaced for sonic unity or are they close enough in snd quality that it wouldn't draw attention.I'd like to go the rdo route but that's financially inconceivable at this time and unfortunately their investment]being Canadian] would result in a substantial loss if I need to sell at a later date!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    The SL1000 is a horrible sounding tweeter, avoid.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• notified
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Its beginning to sound like a case of "I'm dammed if I do and Dammed if I don't!!" scenarios! F1 do you have any thoughts on the oddity of the of the rear labeled 1000's looking like the 2000 as I mentioned in my 1st post? I'm still quite perplexed with more than one pictured example of this on the net
    Post edited by notified on
  • westmassguy
    Options
    notified wrote: »
    hi thanks for the responses [That info is definitely valued!! ] But just to be sure, Am I right to think that other than some slight cabinet modification there would be no other issues with using a SL1000 In a sda 1b Would all 4 need to be replaced for sonic unity or are they close enough in snd quality that it wouldn't draw attention.I'd like to go the rdo route but that's financially inconceivable at this time and unfortunately their investment]being Canadian] would result in a substantial loss if I need to sell at a later date!
    Not worth the investment. As @F1nut said, they're horrible, and the SL2000s are really no better.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • notified
    Options
    Believe me I hear ya,But in my situation its SL2000 or bust! Just that if I happen upon a set still in some speakers I'd hate to have them turn out to be SL1000's As most people, myself included ,wouldn't want the tweeters removed for the sake of verification
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    F1 do you have any thoughts on the oddity of the of the rear labeled 1000's looking like the 2000 as I mentioned in my 1st post? I'm still quite perplexed with more than one pictured example of this on the net

Yeah, it's people using other people's pictures.

I'm not sure why you keep harping on this tweeter stuff. It's not rocket science.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    Options
    notified wrote: »
    Believe me I hear ya,But in my situation its SL2000 or bust! Just that if I happen upon a set still in some speakers I'd hate to have them turn out to be SL1000's As most people, myself included ,wouldn't want the tweeters removed for the sake of verification
    How many do you need?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • notified
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks for asking,I need 1 but I'm hoping to get a back up,It might be a mote point though as locally Ive come across a pair of 7c's for $80 that look like they have the 2000's Thats why I got kinda paranoid when I came across those 1000 labeled odditys,But from the advice given perhaps its more likely that maybe some got mislabeled by Polk and they are in fact 2000's. Since like you said there is no x-over issue to contend with.Anybody got any thoughts on that possibility?
  • westmassguy
    Options
    7s are sweet. Hate to see them parted out if they're in good shape.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    AFAIK there were never any mis-labeled tweeters by Polk. Seems you are WAY over thinking this because of bad pictures and mis-representation of some pictures. Look through the FS ads there were some here for sale that you can count on being correct.
  • notified
    Options
    They'll most definitely be restored again its a only a matter of time to find another good deal,hell perhaps i'll win the lottery and get to buy the rdo's and the caps and hear what you guys have been raving about! Dreaming is free.In the meantime I'll accept the plausible theory that the various ones Ive seen pictured mislabeled are all a result of misrepresented borrowed photos! After all, In all reality it surely don't mean a rats **** to me now anyway!! Thanks much for all the feedback guys! YOU ROCK
  • notified
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Forgive me I thought I WAS done with this but just for the point of contention,go to ebay type in -vintage polk SL1000 tweeter- 4th one down -"polk audio tweeter moving coil SL1000 Tested working" $19,95 clearly shows the rear of the tweeter saying SL1000 What still perplexes me about this example is that the wire leads are in the same place as the 2000 model [WTF] My apologies for my continued controversy!,,Inquiring minds have a hard time at rest!
  • Nightfall
    Options
    That is weird. It's definitely a Sl2000 though.

• notified
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the confirmation,again any thoughts as to how anyone?.....Pitdog?
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I wouldn't buy that one, with the dented dome?

• notified
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ya f1 enlightened me to that issue in another post! I'm getting a few knocks but learning
  • Nightfall
    Options
    For only $25 more you could get a brand new, and better, RDO-194. Save for another couple weeks and you could have 2.

• notified
    Options
    Covered that in a above discussion
  • notified
    Options
    Did you even look at it? They say a picture tells a thousand words,And your right it aint no biggie it aint a crime Dont know where the rocket science comes into play, but in all probability its few cases of **** happens but I surely wouldn't blame the seller...WOOF
  • notified
    Options
    It seems somewhat obvious that a lot of people don't follow from the initial post to tell how and why it originated in the first place Their 2 cents is of more value than their time I suppose
  • Nightfall
    Options
    The auction he's talking about isn't a wrong picture, its definitely a SL2000 with a SL1000 sticker on the back.

• notified
    Options
    Thanks again Nighfall ,vindication feels fine
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Randy/Maine
  • notified
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I find that somewhat obtuse and vaguely ambivalent but still kinda insulting none the less! ,.....And so it was edited into obscurity
    Post edited by notified on
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    ^^^^ correct. Welcome to Polk Forum. Hope you find your correct tweeter
    Randy/Maine