Boulder 2060 amplifier

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Regarding cables, I want to get the system down first before exploring. But I'm not going deep. Atleast those are my initial thoughts.

You do know cables are as important as the components they connect together, right?

Sure, in the future.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Got a hold of boulder. Verified the amp.

It was Alon Wolfs amp at Magico.

Regarding cables, I want to get the system down first before exploring. But I'm not going deep. Atleast those are my initial thoughts.

And yes... Proctoscope for tony. I'll even give you a discount.

And no anesthesia. In fact, I'll let the big fat nurse do it for you.

No thanks bro....been down that road with a Nurse Ratchet when I had my vasectomy done years ago.....but we can't talk about sausage so that's a story for another time. BTW....I subscribe to the "What happens in my colon, stays in my colon" theory.

So are the Boulders on the way....you have them hooked up ? Whats the scoop ? Yes cables will matter tremendously at this level so don't just give them a passing thought.

I called Boulder up and did some back research on the 2060 that I was looking at.

Boulder as a manufacturer is AWESOME.

The guy's were hilarious and had a definite sense of humor.

Me: So, what's that huge tube down the middle of the Boulder 3050/3060 (the model above the one I was looking at)?
    Jamison (engineer): That's a reactor.
    Me: Oh....
    Jamison: Also, the amp has fusion technology.
    Me: Oh..... wow.
    Jamison: *Laughing*....
    Me: ....
    Jamison: Hahaha... get's 'em everytime.

But yeah, each amp is ear tested, I found out how they build it, they tweak each amp, they usually have it in a different generic chassis while they play and tweak it so that the enclosure isn't scratched.

There are several hundred 2060 in the wild. Only 50 of the 3060 in the wild.

They have enough parts for future repairs.

I asked about when to recap, they said since the inception of the 2060, none had to come back to be recapped. So they think 20 years atleast.

I had a very impressive conversation.

SO, the history of the 2060 that I'm looking at:

Alon Wolf, of Magico, owned it prior until 2011 then sold to the owner I am dealing with now.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    The 3050 internals. Per my comment above about the "reactor"... hehehe

3050n3.jpg
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    The 3050 internals. Per my comment above about the "reactor"... hehehe

3050n3.jpg

Oh man... I think I just got a... Never mind...
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    That bad boy does look like a Nuclear reactor....wow !
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Kinda looks like a star destroyer.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    I see they use the flux capacitor
    I'm sure the design isn't TSA approved
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Well, if Joey disappears to 2045.....can you please pick me up a copy of all the sports wins when you come back ?

......and please don't tell me Justin Bieber is president.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    very nice Joey.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Well, if Joey disappears to 2045.....can you please pick me up a copy of all the sports wins when you come back ?

......and please don't tell me Justin Bieber is president.

Oh dude, we will share in the glory of the loot we get from all our sports bets.

Can we buy homes in the bahamas too?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    very nice Joey.

Thnks bud... still working on the details of the deal...
  • Joey_V
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Just a shot in the dark on that tube in the 3000 series, power supplies encased in a pretty wrapper?

I think it's like a blackhole generator.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    yes. a quantum singularity drive.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2015
    Options
    11tsteve wrote: »
    yes. a quantum singularity drive.

I still think it should shoot a laser like from the death star.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Been to Boulder's plant and got to see a pair of black 3050s being built. They use engine stands to assemble these beasts...

q7omuuexxo5b.jpg
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Been to Boulder's plant and got to see a pair of black 3050s being built. They use engine stands to assemble these beasts...

q7omuuexxo5b.jpg

Wow man....

In black too... like a stealth bomber.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    It's a warp generator that Scotty tweaked to do a warp factor 9.

Boulder-3050-9-586x780.jpg
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,341
    Options
    Joey, hello man. Tom here. I don't know how I missed this thread up until now. This is truly a man amp......final destination for many. I know it's been on my radar. Please do not hesitate to offer your opinions as many (myself included) will be at full attention.

Just don't fluff the end result. We are talking about some serious coin here. *winks*

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    edited November 2015
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Joey, hello man. Tom here. I don't know how I missed this thread up until now. This is truly a man amp......final destination for many. I know it's been on my radar. Please do not hesitate to offer your opinions as many (myself included) will be at full attention.

Just don't fluff the end result. We are talking about some serious coin here. *winks*

Tom

Tom,

I will have you know, as of today, I have paid for half the 2060 amp.

It is technically half mine now... Bwahahhaa...

Got cold feet before the bank transfer...

To say I'm excited is an understatement. I've waited a long time to take a Boulder home. I've had their keychain for years and I always said to myself, "This is the closest I'll get to owning a Boulder."

I guess I was wrong.fi6oweubg1xp.jpg
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Also, when I called Boulder last week... They were very nice and were very supportive of me buying a preowned amp. They recall the serial on my 2060 and they said...
    "Oh yeah that's Alon Wolfs amp"

Then we got to talking about the 3060... And the engineer made a comment.

"I guess you'll be slumming it with the 2060, huh?"

Great guys at Boulder. So easy to deal with.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    I think the solution is easy, buy a third set of speakers.
    Looking at your other post you just got the Classé amps, too soon to replace them. So the only logical answer is to buy more speakers.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • Joey_V
    Options
    RamZet wrote: »
    I think the solution is easy, buy a third set of speakers.
    Looking at your other post you just got the Classé amps, too soon to replace them. So the only logical answer is to buy more speakers.

Something's gotta go lol
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,341
    Options
    ......Got cold feet before the bank transfer...
    Man, I hear ya'. I do. That is one heck of a......

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    ......Got cold feet before the bank transfer...
    Man, I hear ya'. I do. That is one heck of a......

Tom

Yah.... especially since I broke the news to the wife AFTER the transfer.

• Joey_V
    Options
    Dang it now some other guy is contacting me to sell
    My 2060 to him or trade + cash for his 1060...

And I haven't even paid the 2nd half of the 2060 nor have I taken delivery...

Balls... A conundrum...
  • Joey_V
    Options
    How polite is polite
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,873
    Options
    if you don't like the the 2060 then you may not like the 1060.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Joey_V
    Options
    marvda has a point... but nbrowsers idea would open me up to a smaller boulder amp to sell once mine is sold. so financially might be a good move.
  • audiogaga
    Options
    Joey_V,
    Any updates on your journey with the boulder 2060? I am an audio research fanboy but i'm trying to decide between a used ARC ref250se tube monoblock or a boulder 2060.

Thanks in advance...
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    audiogaga wrote: »
    Joey_V,
    Any updates on your journey with the boulder 2060? I am an audio research fanboy but i'm trying to decide between a used ARC ref250se tube monoblock or a boulder 2060.

Thanks in advance...

Well, IIRC, it's still in his system.

With Joey, that's saying something.