Boulder 2060 amplifier

Options

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Skippy, my plan was just to hook a rope around it and drag it home. Then, get Doug to make 30' long interconnects so I can leave it in the driveway. Think smarter....not harder!

Something tells me I won't be picking it up now :p

pfb part 4 just waiting to happen..............

That amp looks amazing!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Let's see if this transaction goes through.

I think if this goes through, I'm done for the year. Stick a fork in me.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Skippy, my plan was just to hook a rope around it and drag it home. Then, get Doug to make 30' long interconnects so I can leave it in the driveway. Think smarter....not harder!

Something tells me I won't be picking it up now :p

pfb part 4 just waiting to happen..............

That amp looks amazing!

Thanks!! All reviews have been superb

Let's see if this really turns out to be my end game SS amp
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I will bet the boulder will not sound better on the D2.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    [But seriously, I doubt the other amps will hold a candle to the new king in town (atleast my town).

Don't count your chickens brother....my guess is the Boulder is going to give you just a tad more of what the Classe's do.

Tad more of what? What's the signature of classe? Boulder? Have you first hand experience at your place? I would like to know. I have not experienced Boulder yet, but Classe on B&W? Lots... So what do you mean?
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,065
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Speaking of PFB, what ever happened with that guy? I haven't seen him around lately.

Enjoy :D
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/169129/why-do-threads-get-closed-with-no-reason-given/p1
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
  • erniejade
    Options
    Now that rings a bell. Forgot about that.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    I will bet the boulder will not sound better on the D2.

I bet it will on the d3 baby
  • Joey_V
    edited October 2015
    Options
    A tad more of wallet emptying bro.

A tad more account denting, credit card smoking...

And a tad more of the wife yelling at me when she does the budget and realizes that we are missing a chunk of change.
    [But seriously, I doubt the other amps will hold a candle to the new king in town (atleast my town).

Don't count your chickens brother....my guess is the Boulder is going to give you just a tad more of what the Classe's do.

Tad more of what? What's the signature of classe? Boulder? Have you first hand experience at your place? I would like to know. I have not experienced Boulder yet, but Classe on B&W? Lots... So what do you mean?

• Joey_V
    Options
    Good news:

My brother who is local is willing to help fund my purchases. Because I have multiple amps, he will be taking some into his possession and he will pay me the sale price in the piece. I won't use the cash but keep it in my account. If he doesn't keep it, then I'll refund his money back or I'll sell it on audiogon.

This way, I have an investor in my crazy adventure.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    Congrats Joey! It's especially nice to have a brother who is going to fund your hobby! You know, you really need a few capable preamps capable of making these SS a fair justice.

To Halen, What Tony said makes sense to me. It's the cost of diminishing returns. I wouldn't expect anything to make night and day difference between SS amps that cost upwards of 10K. The preamp will make what they ultimately sounds at the end through the speakers.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • erniejade
    Options
    Congrats! !!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

I too have heard the Classe /B&W pairing, not to my personal liking but I have an understanding of the Classe sound signature. If you look at a lot of reviews on the Boulder, you'll see a lot of similarities in the described sound and the Classe sound. Which is why I said my "GUESS"....is what I had said. Never said "for sure"....nothing in this hobby is, I think we all know that by now.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A tad more of wallet emptying bro.

A tad more account denting, credit card smoking...

And a tad more of the wife yelling at me when she does the budget and realizes that we are missing a chunk of change.

A chunk of change. Funny bunny. Haha
  • Joey_V
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Congrats Joey! It's especially nice to have a brother who is going to fund your hobby! You know, you really need a few capable preamps capable of making these SS a fair justice.

To Halen, What Tony said makes sense to me. It's the cost of diminishing returns. I wouldn't expect anything to make night and day difference between SS amps that cost upwards of 10K. The preamp will make what they ultimately sounds at the end through the speakers.

Yep I'm screwed

But I figure I have like a few decades to get through this audio journey... So I can take my time and enjoy the ride.

Can't rush through this. One step at a time. I've already been placed in time out and can't take possession of the D3 for atleast 8 months.

• Joey_V
    Options

I too have heard the Classe /B&W pairing, not to my personal liking but I have an understanding of the Classe sound signature. If you look at a lot of reviews on the Boulder, you'll see a lot of similarities in the described sound and the Classe sound. Which is why I said my "GUESS"....is what I had said. Never said "for sure"....nothing in this hobby is, I think we all know that by now.

Tony buddy...

As halen and skip can attest. I am very quick on the trigger BUT also quick on the resale.

If I don't think the boulder is worth the upgrade, it's gone.

I'm like an iceman.

No heart.

If it doesn't eclipse the classe m600 by a significant margin, it's gone.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    Tony buddy...

As halen and skip can attest. I am very quick on the trigger BUT also quick on the resale.

If I don't think the boulder is worth the upgrade, it's gone.

I'm like an iceman.

No heart.

If it doesn't eclipse the classe m600 by a significant margin, it's gone.

Here is my contribution to this thread:

TOP-GUN-ICEMAN12.jpg?zoom=2&resize=332%2C250

• tonyb
    Options
    lol, that's cool Joey. Hopefully you won't look like the Iceman does now.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ukcolin99
    ukcolin99 Posts: 286
    Options
    What cables do you use on a $16,600 with split shipping Boulder 2060? Just askin'.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Knowing Joey.....he uses the same surgical wire used to scope out colons in the hospital. Sound isn't that great but the video is awesome.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Knowing Joey.....he uses the same surgical wire used to scope out colons in the hospital. Sound isn't that great but the video is awesome.

@tonyb,

Better to avoid any discussion of the esoteric science of proctology -- somebody might be offended! :)

PS: However, I give @Upstatemax kudos for tastefully avoiding exposing Iceman's c l e a v a g e!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »

Yep I'm screwed

But I figure I have like a few decades to get through this audio journey... So I can take my time and enjoy the ride.

Can't rush through this. One step at a time. I've already been placed in time out and can't take possession of the D3 for atleast 8 months.

I wouldn't call it Screwed! It's just money and you are enjoying it and that's all that matter.

May be the mid-life crisis is worse on some men than the others. lol

Yep, take it slow and enjoy this journey. Did you ever get a pair of pope 6SN7s from Kevin?
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Got a hold of boulder. Verified the amp.

It was Alon Wolfs amp at Magico.

Regarding cables, I want to get the system down first before exploring. But I'm not going deep. Atleast those are my initial thoughts.

And yes... Proctoscope for tony. I'll even give you a discount.

And no anesthesia. In fact, I'll let the big fat nurse do it for you.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options

@tonyb,

Better to avoid any discussion of the esoteric science of proctology -- somebody might be offended! :)

PS: However, I give @Upstatemax kudos for tastefully avoiding exposing Iceman's c l e a v a g e!

Can't say c l e a v g e .... Reported!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Can't say c l e a v g e .... Reported!

Talking about reporting someone isn't audio related. Reported. Crap. Talking about reporting someone for non audio related content is ALSO non audio related. Reported myself.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • erniejade
    Options
    Did I see c l e a v g e but no pics,,,, Shoot wrong thread again. What was this one about again? :*
  • tonyb
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Got a hold of boulder. Verified the amp.

It was Alon Wolfs amp at Magico.

Regarding cables, I want to get the system down first before exploring. But I'm not going deep. Atleast those are my initial thoughts.

And yes... Proctoscope for tony. I'll even give you a discount.

And no anesthesia. In fact, I'll let the big fat nurse do it for you.

No thanks bro....been down that road with a Nurse Ratchet when I had my vasectomy done years ago.....but we can't talk about sausage so that's a story for another time. BTW....I subscribe to the "What happens in my colon, stays in my colon" theory.

So are the Boulders on the way....you have them hooked up ? Whats the scoop ? Yes cables will matter tremendously at this level so don't just give them a passing thought.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    While researching the Threshold amps came across this interesting statement

"Output impedance from 20Hz–1kHz remained below 0.032 ohms for any load from 2 to 8 ohms; it rose slightly at 20kHz, but still below 0.04 ohms with the same loads. This verifies Threshold's claim of a high damping factor across the entire audible bandwidth, and indicates that the SA/12e response should be a constant with virtually any real-world loudspeaker/loudspeaker cable load. (Remember, when a loudspeaker "looks back" at the amplifier, it sees not only the amplifier's output impedance but the impedance of the cable as well—including the loudspeaker's internal wiring. That will determine the ultimate damping at the loudspeaker, and may also have an effect on the latter's actual response.)—Thomas J. Norton
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,874
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156