Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    halenhoang wrote: »
    It's an effin movies guys, wtf. Jurassic Park, how much did you know about genetics and dinosaurs? Tom Clancy movies, how much did you know about that? Any comedy movie, how much did you know that?

It's a movie, stop being so effin childish... Wow.

Halen

Amen Halen.

Though movies in my day were a form of entertainment and taken as such. Today however, they are used to change perceptions and some take them as factual information.

I'd imagine if most movies didn't take liberties with facts, they'd be pretty effin' boring.

I'll agree with DK that most these thugs portrayed in Rap aren't really thugs at all. It's a portrayed persona with one goal in mind....money. However, I'd argue is that persona beneficial to the people they propose to help ? Of course not, but it does help their own pockets.

WRONG most of them are thugs
    Its like saying all or most heavy heavy bands worship satan....its just a gimmick to make money...except for King Diamond of course
    Dude this a about a culture that is pervasive in the hood. Found some guy stealing the bumper off of my neighbors car. We went out there armed to stop the guy but even though you may shoot him you would never call the cops on him. That is the cultural norm and it is bizarre to say the least.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    So all white people that live in the south are school drop outs that have "relations" with their sisters?
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Timothy Smith
    Options
    Don't most rappers send a horrible message to kids, especially the poor and desperate inner city kids who may not have many good role models for staying away from drugs/crime/violence/prison/sex/money? They glorify all of those things and become millionaires doing it. The hell with the young kids, both male and female who buy into it.

What is uplifting or beautiful about rap? It mostly sounds nasty and soul-crushing to me.

And I'm a guy who enjoys some pretty bleak/harsh music like Stooges, Joy Division, Portishead, Pere Ubu etc. Even those bands have flashes of beauty or they hint at something artful, or uplifting, or meaningful (sometimes).

Yes, in the 60's, 70's, and 80's rock music and musicians promoted sex, drugs, and rock and roll, but it seemed that they, and we, knew that it wasn't reality, and everyone was in on the joke, or the dream aspect. We still went to school, got jobs, raised families. Oh sure, we drank, took drugs, chased sleazy women, drove like idiots, got in fights, but only as much as was absolutely necessary.

Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I dunno Ray, truth being stranger than fiction ? Eh, maybe in some case. If you notice though, at the beginning of every movie supposedly about a true story you see the words "based on...". That's an indication that the truth was somehow altered, added to, or subtracted from the original version. In other words, some fiction was added to make it entertaining enough to make a movie out of.

Smoking in movies way back when was just a depiction of the way life was, nobody was pushing smoking. A current analogy would be the amount of Iphones you see in movies. They aren't making a statement that your not cool unless you have one, simply portraying life in the modern era. Same with cereal boxes. While it may or may not be a scenario of product paid sponsorship, nobody was pushing social agendas. Granted, I can't make that case for every movie back then, but todays seem more acclimated to it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Bravo Timothy, very well put.

Because the influence Rap has, I truly believe it leaves a lot of collateral damage in certain segments of our society.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Timothy Smith
    Options
    And I think that it's even worse, and more cynical and greedy, if as some of the previous poster have stated, some of the famous rappers came from good families, are educated, gifted and talented, and live a good clean family life themselves.

Then are just doing it for the money and fame, and should know better, and give a damn for the lives of fans that idolize them.

Tim (Straight-Outta-Oconomowoc) Smith
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Bravo Timothy, very well put.

Because the influence Rap has, I truly believe it leaves a lot of collateral damage in certain segments of our society.

Yep, that was the point I was trying to make earlier.....agreed. To be fair though, that's a pretty broad brush but one that's appropriate for this subject. You can't say ALL rap is like that, but a darn good portion of it is.

One can certainly point to the music of the 60's and 70's and say it was influential in the drug scene. Same way Rap is today only it's gun violence, rape, killing cops.....and drugs. I wouldn't hesitate to say Rap has had a far more reaching hand in todays society than the music of yesterday did.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I find it absurd to blame the actions of a person (people) on music. Just like Marilyn Manson was blamed for Columbine. Judas Priest had to stand trial before a judge over a person that committed suicide. Etc.

"The music made me do it" is such a cop out.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
    Wow, just checked in.

I'm sure glad I don't pre-judge a whole segment of music. I mean, I really don't like 80's music, but it gave me REM. Kind of close minded to say 'all rap sucks!'.

I don't own much in the way of hip-hop in the collection, but I have enjoyed it over the years. If you haven't explored a lot of early 90s hip-hop you - are - missing - out. Hell, all of the 90's, Kanye's first album was a game changer. Early Jay-Z is wildly talented, in his beats and lyrics. These guy's are just like ANY other musician, they write what they know about. So we segregate the schools they go to, give them the worst tools and teachers to learn with, and OF COURSE they are going to be putting out music that you guys are scared of. I'll say it again, they are writing what they know about, what they grew up with.

I'm fine with you guys not liking it, but to say it all sucks and it's bad for our kids, well come on, I would hope that most of us are smarter than that here. I don't hear the battle cry against violent video games here.

I'll leave you with this, just give it a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5srnNrICJo
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Ive talked to too many kids who want just what they see in the vids. Drugs, Ho's, easy money, its like a general malaise. Someone mentioned that many of these kids dont have the foundation of a functional family and that is spot on. Throw in poverty, violent neighborhoods and severe academic deficiencies and its a tough road that lies ahead.

I personally believe many are self medicating, both on substances and todays Rap.

I was out of line about the talent thing and didnt want to offend anyone, but God Damnit its depressing to see what so many disadvantaged kids value when there are mechanisms in place to help them be successful.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    Kind of close minded to say 'all rap sucks!'.

Those that are saying this just have NOT heard Biz Marky's 'Just a Friend'! No possible way...jus' sayin'...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aofoBrFNdg

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
    Yeah, but the music they are listening too isn't causing the root issues that you see on a daily basis. Another whole issue I'm not touching.

How did we get here on a discussion of a movie? Every thread needs some PIE, heres a bit of pie, rapped. :D:D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1JPKLa-Ofc
  • deronb1
    Options
    That was terrible...couldnt finish it
  • deronb1
    Options
    Wow, just checked in.

I'm sure glad I don't pre-judge a whole segment of music. I mean, I really don't like 80's music, but it gave me REM. Kind of close minded to say 'all rap sucks!'.

I don't own much in the way of hip-hop in the collection, but I have enjoyed it over the years. If you haven't explored a lot of early 90s hip-hop you - are - missing - out. Hell, all of the 90's, Kanye's first album was a game changer. Early Jay-Z is wildly talented, in his beats and lyrics. These guy's are just like ANY other musician, they write what they know about. So we segregate the schools they go to, give them the worst tools and teachers to learn with, and OF COURSE they are going to be putting out music that you guys are scared of. I'll say it again, they are writing what they know about, what they grew up with.

I'm fine with you guys not liking it, but to say it all sucks and it's bad for our kids, well come on, I would hope that most of us are smarter than that here. I don't hear the battle cry against violent video games here.

That was terrible. Sorry, couldnt finish it.
  • tophatjohnny
    Options
    deronb1 wrote: »
    Wow, just checked in.

again..just an opinion. Not my cup of tea but heart felt. Don't hate..appreciate D!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Timothy Smith
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I find it absurd to blame the actions of a person (people) on music. Just like Marilyn Manson was blamed for Columbine. Judas Priest had to stand trial before a judge over a person that committed suicide. Etc.

Of course the music doesn't "make someone do it", but it does influence the culture, especially young minds. When the message is "Hate and kill the cops, honest work is for suckers, education is for fools, treat women like whores, violence should be your first resort, go for the money, your life is hopeless, life is crap, life is short, join a gang for respect, don't take responsibility, have kids just show to you are a man or a woman, not to raise, hate yourself, hate your race, hate other races, hate your life, hate your community, hate your country....etc. etc" it does have a negative effect. How could it not?
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    I tried watching it also, clicked it off. I grew up listening to rock,big band swing,jazz, classical ,opera, and easy listening. Even a little bit of country and country rock. I think Louie,The Count and Duke would be disappointed with rap music.
  • deronb1
    Options
    Wow, just checked in.

again..just an opinion. Not my cup of tea but heart felt. Don't hate..appreciate D!

Not hating the motive, just the execution Johnny.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I definitely have to rip my 'Straight Out of Compton' CD, and listen to it this weekend.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Of course the music doesn't "make someone do it", but it does influence the culture, especially young minds. When the message is "Hate and kill the cops, honest work is for suckers, education is for fools, treat women like whores, violence should be your first resort, go for the money, your life is hopeless, life is crap, life is short, join a gang for respect, don't take responsibility, have kids just show to you are a man or a woman, not to raise, hate yourself, hate your race, hate other races, hate your life, hate your community, hate your country....etc. etc" it does have a negative effect. How could it not?

pretty much nailed it
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Wow, just checked in.

agree but mcdonalds makes fortunes selling garbage
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Yeah, but the music they are listening too isn't causing the root issues that you see on a daily basis. Another whole issue I'm not touching.

How did we get here on a discussion of a movie? Every thread needs some PIE, heres a bit of pie, rapped. :D:D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1JPKLa-Ofc

rap glorifies the dysfunction or maybe malfunction or better yet the destruction
  • Conradicles
    Options
    If you think there is no talent here, you have lost it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NPemiiEVwA
  • afterburnt
    Options

that would have been pretty good if specs would stfu
  • afterburnt
    Options
    oh and not enough explosions eh eh uh huh huh
  • deronb1
    Options

That was interesting. Cant say i actually liked it, but soulful and well done, none the less. Talented yes. Enjoyed it? Not really.

Doesnt really matter what i think anyway. Im talking about the commercialized main stream Gangsta and top 40 Rap for the most part.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I never much liked opera but give it another forty years maybe I will like this ****, who knows?